Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
T. T.

Default Need dishwasher recommendation for large family

Hi all, first thank you for reading this thread and comment on it, I
really appreciate your time. I did a google group search already and
found some other threads talking about dishwasher. For example, someone
recommended Maytag MDBTT60AWW with Cascade Complete (dishwasher
powder), Also someone said that Consumer Reports (2006) says the
Kenmore 1603 at $500, and the Amana ADB1500AW at $330, are Best Buys.
However, I would like to see if anyone has other second opinions as we
are in a little bit different situation.

We have a big family (5 adults and 3 children), and from time to time
have guests coming to the house. This means that pretty much we are
using the dishwasher on "daily" basis with medium to large load. So
reliability and easy-to-use as well as able to handle large load are
the priority. We also prefer stainless instead of black or white color.
Here are my questions:

1. What do people's experience with the Whirlpool dishwasher,
especially the model of DU1100XTPS
(http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11109255) for $499.99
(s/h included!). We have costco membership so if this is a good model
for our purpose, probably we will go for this one.

2. I don't have problem to spend more money (e.g. $700+) for a better
but much more durable dishwasher, but just wondering whether the extra
features or build quality could really justify the extra $$$?? What is
the average life of a typical dishwasher?? I know a lot of people said
good things about Miele, but do they really worth that extra $$$??
Which model of Miele (if we are going to consider Miele) would you
recommend that is under $1000 ???

Thanks again for your help! We really appreciate that! :-)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Chris Hill

On 9 May 2006 20:24:38 -0700, "T. T." wrote:

Hi all, first thank you for reading this thread and comment on it, I
really appreciate your time. I did a google group search already and
found some other threads talking about dishwasher. For example, someone
recommended Maytag MDBTT60AWW with Cascade Complete (dishwasher
powder), Also someone said that Consumer Reports (2006) says the
Kenmore 1603 at $500, and the Amana ADB1500AW at $330, are Best Buys.
However, I would like to see if anyone has other second opinions as we
are in a little bit different situation.

Sounds to me like one thing on your list should be energy efficiency.
Consumer Reports sponsors a website at www.greenerchoices.org; you
should check it out. I'd trust their reviews much more than comments
on the internet, at least they have some standard tests they use.