Licensed to Quill

Default GE Dishwasher not draining problem

LICENSED TO QUILL WROTE:

my GE profile GSD 5930 dishwasher. It works properly
but doesn't drain either properly or completely. RESULT the dishes are
always cleaned with somewhat dirty water and the unit is left with a full
tub

I have called GE in the past and they told me to push the ON switch, wait 5
seconds and push that same ON switch again. They say this will drain the
unit without putting any more water in it

I have been doing this for about four years when occasionally the unit
doesnt drain but suddenly this tactic has stopped working. GE just tells me
to call out a repairman (TRANSLATION: Pay us more than the unit is worth to
repair it) I am a bit reluctant.

Does anyone know how to get this unit to drain please or do I have to undo
all the screws in the back, laboriously take the basket off and laboriously
try to clean all gunge out of the place where GE didnt bother to put a
filter? (I should add that I Have TRIED not putting anything in which would
clog up that basket so I suspect that isnt the problem)

I sometimes wonder why GE doesnt bother with proper filters in their
dishwashers as all these problems seem to be casued by something which
should have been caught in a filter while the cycle is running finding its
way into an area where it can cause damage. Like an impeller in a drain pump
or an exit hose of some type. And their policies on repair costs are
prohibitive at the moment.

Living in New York has its upsides and downsides. The downside is that no
one really wants to come out to repair anything without ripping you off
(yes, it'll cost $90 call out charge and then 45.5 cents per minute plus any
parts we can find we need plus the call out charge again when we see that we
forgot to bring the part you told us was most likely in need of replacement
plus tax etc plus the furtther per-minute charge to take it apart again etc
etc) while on the upside there are always LOTS of people who are replacing
whole kitchens with perfectly serviceable units in them from which one can
take the dishwasher). I suppose if I cant repair this one I will replace it
with the next Miele or possibly Bosch I FIND.

I do find it slightly suspicious that GE dishwwashers work properly for a
while, then diminish in effectiveness after a year or so, then stop working
completely. When I managed to call out aservice agent under warranty, he
said that in places like New York with slightly dirty water, the drain hose
becomes blocked every time anyone does work on pipes in the neighborhood and
anything flushes into the water line in any way. Isnt that just a sign that
they KNOW that they need a proper filter?

"Julie" wrote in message

Yes, I have the same problem with my profile dishwasher. It works

properly but doesn't drain either properly or completely.

I took the dishwasher out to the porch and had my way with it.

Unscrewed anything I could find, poked around, and found two things -

one small (1 cm) shard of glass, and one small piece of paper towel

across a tube connection. The piece of paper towel was potentially

blocking a waterway, so I had hope yet that I might have made a

difference.

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:21:15 -0700, "Julie" wrote:

and like a stoopid consumer, the new one is another GE Profile. It had
a good rebate on it and promised to be Quiet, which it is. But now I'll
have to cross my fingers on the draining issue ...

I too have a brand new GE dishwasher, although mine is a Triton. This
is the first really quiet dishwasher I've ever owned and I just love
it. We have tile floors, so the house is a bit echo-y and sound
really travels, but we can hardly tell that the dishwasher is running.

I'm now ready for the 15-year-old dishwasher in my other house to
break, because I've been spoiled now and dislike the noise this old
dishwasher makes.

My double oven unit is a GE Profile, by the way, and seems to work
very well, but we've only been in the house for a month, so it's early
days yet. The builder, Del Webb/Pulte, has some sort of sweetheart
deal with GE, so my choices were limited.

Mary

Chuck

"Licensed to Quill" wrote in message
LICENSED TO QUILL WROTE:

my GE profile GSD 5930 dishwasher. It works properly
but doesn't drain either properly or completely. RESULT the dishes are
always cleaned with somewhat dirty water and the unit is left with a full
tub

Check the drain hose, and the vacuum breaker for partial blockage. This
can put enough back pressure on the pump that it is unable to fully drain
the dishwasher during the cycle time.

--Chuck

Licensed to Quill

Yes, it's pretty definitely the same problem I have been having for four
years, only worse: Despite that impeller NOT being blocked, something has
got through and is preventing the drain from draining properly. Not sure
what a vacuum breaker is but I should probably take the lower front panel
off and get the drain hose off. This isn't easy, is it?

BTW the washing machine drains through to the same place under the sink and
yesteday it stopped draining as well so it must be a MAJOR blockage in the
drain hose or (a kink suddenly appearing at) the place where it drains into
the central drain under the sink?

Licensed to Quill

LICENSED TO QUILL WROTE:

my GE profile GSD 5930 dishwasher. It works properly
but doesn't drain either properly or completely. RESULT the dishes are
always cleaned with somewhat dirty water and the unit is left with a

full
tub

Check the drain hose, and the vacuum breaker for partial blockage. This
can put enough back pressure on the pump that it is unable to fully drain
the dishwasher during the cycle time.

--Chuck

Licensed to Quill

For those interested (and I am not suggesting anyone in their right minds
should rely on the views of this complete novice) I have to thank those on
these forums for your assistance and to Chuck for this solution wihch I
suspected was causing the problem from day one. Needless to say, it was and
before I started posting I had confirmed by my Super that when this happens,
everyone calls out a plumber at huge expense and CUTS out that one way valve
and replaces it with a new one. In practice if the valve is the problem the
plumber will have solved it or if th blockage was the problem, replacing the
valve will have let water flow through the pipe while the valve was being
replaced and solved it as a by product as well.

So people MAY be interested in my experience as no one seemed to think that
anything could be done by undoing that nut on the top of the valve.

I did this and found the interior to be exactly as described on the line
drawing. The top comes off fairly easily. There is a simple flap in it.
THere is generally nothing blocking between the flap and the drain for
reasonably obvious reasons. But you can pick the flap up with a dental pick
(cost in a flea market, approx 5 cents) and push START on the dishwasher.
Followed by START on a GE unit five seconds later to stop it. This has the
effect of pushing whatever is OBVIOUSLY blocking the line to the valve and
hopefully past it. In my case an olive pip and a small piece of paper were
the cause which was stopping the dishwasher from draining properly. It had
been doing so in fact for a year or so with us wondering if the dishwasher
needed changing (as everyone I suppose does when their dishwasher stops
cleaning properly? As Chuck implies, the water isn't draining properly, the
float is stopping water in put when the water in the unit reaches the proper
level and the dishes are always being cleaned with dirty water)

It may be advisable to siphon out whatever water is lying in the bottom of
the dishwasher and you may need to repeat this process a few times but
eventually whatever is blocking the line will come through and water will
start spewing out of the top of the valve, meaning that you have unblocked
it andwater is now flowing freely. Although not too much spews out, put the
nut back on fairly quickly (while it is spewing). It doesn't SEEM to have
been secured with any of that plumber's white tape to make it waterproof (I
am not sure why) and I didn't put any back on, preferring to leave the brass
to brass tight for the moment and see what happens. I may have to revise my
opinion on that if it starts to leak?

Suddenly hey presto, the whole dishwasher starts to clean properly as if it
were new!

The obvious question arises, why does a newish GE Profile dishwasher not
have a filter in it to assure that it will keep on cleaning dishes properly?
Why does GE insist on relying on a plastic sheet with holes in it and a sort
of impeller on all their dishwashers to break up bits and try to stop this
blockage happening when OBVIOUSLY this doesnt work? Do they pull this trick
on their customers with their astronomically expensive Monogram units as
well? Do ALL European dishwashers have filters?

(The other obvious question is how quickly will I find that the constant
heating up and cooling down of the metal parts in the valve every time very
hot water goes through it will cause the nut to expand, contract and
eventually loosen? Or will the water which is always in the valve actually
prevent this happening?)

Licensed to Quill

LICENSED TO QUILL WROTE:

my GE profile GSD 5930 dishwasher. It works properly
but doesn't drain either properly or completely. RESULT the dishes are
always cleaned with somewhat dirty water and the unit is left with a

full
tub

Check the drain hose, and the vacuum breaker for partial blockage. This
can put enough back pressure on the pump that it is unable to fully drain
the dishwasher during the cycle time.

--Chuck

Isaac Wingfield

In article ,
"Licensed to Quill" wrote:

my GE profile GSD 5930 dishwasher.

--story about defective GE disahwasher snipped --

In 30+ years of home ownership, spread over 10+ different houses. a GE
Dishwasher is by *far* the worst POS appliance I have ever encountered.
Or had to repair. Frequently. For no good reason. It just breaks because
it can.

Isaac
LanceBro

if you see the solenoid at the bottom of the motor/pump assembly spring open
and hear it click open then it's a good possibility your drian hose may be
kinked or clogged...check it....

if you do not hear the solenoid getting energized check it to see if it is
geting energized for the drain position of the pump instead of just the
re-cycle mode for cleaning in the tub...if you ruled out voltage, clog, and the
solenoid you have a bad timer.....

hope this helps you

WbSearch

Is there an "air cap" in the drain line? Whenever ours quit draining, the cap
was blocked.

Central Heating Problem Duncan Lally UK diy 2 February 22nd 04 10:22 PM
Vokera Excell 80E overheat problem anon UK diy 1 December 3rd 03 05:26 PM
Combi DHW output problem Neil UK diy 0 December 2nd 03 10:36 PM
Toshiba vertical problem David Wolff Electronics Repair 1 July 18th 03 10:41 PM
Sony G410R Monitor problem (and bad Sony support) Steeve M Electronics Repair 7 July 15th 03 01:24 AM