Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Replacing a dishwasher - recommendations good/bad?

There was an 8 year old stainless steel tub Kitchenaid dishwasher in
the house when we bought it, and it soldiered on for 10 more years.

Did it last 20 years BECAUSE of the SS tub?

The cost savings of the plastic tub are such that when there is excessive
wear and tear on the mechanicals it's cost effective to just get a new
machine rather than repair the old machine.

The
plastic tub Kenmore only lasted for 11, and the racks had lots of
damage and bent bits early on.

All the tub does is either LEAK or not LEAK. The only leak I ever had was
with an "enamel" tub. They were definitely bad news.

I don't remember the Kitchenaid having
stainless racks, but they were still in excellent condition when the
unit died. Can you really get stainless racks for a dishwasher? That
sounds like a great idea.

Don't know. I think top of the line racks is now solid plactic. The
plastic covered steel definitely is a PITA.

Hilary