Woodchuck34

Default New TS Unifence or Biesmeyer? (yes another TS post)

Friday night SWMBO gave me the green light to buy a new TS. Saturday
morning I was in the local Woodcraft talking to one of the guys about
the different features. I am interested in a Powermatic, Jet, or Delt
Contractor saw and after a long conversation, and a lot of research on
my own (I've been buildling the case for a new TS for weeks), narrowed
it down to a Delta.

Because of the X5 rebate, if I order by the end of the month, I get
another $100 off. I wanted a 52" fence, but the guy at Woodcraft made
a pretty good case for a 30" (safety, and saving the money).

My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off). I'm torn. I
usually buy my stuff there because they're great whenever I have a
question, but I'd probably save another $175. What would you do?

My third question, has anyone built the TS/Router Center cabinet in the
Oct. 2003 issue of Wood Mag? It would be ideal for me. I currently
have a similar setup on my TS, but is a first version and is a little
rough around the edges to say the least. I'm looking at the router
table as a good second table so I'm not concerned with the "router
table in the TS issue".

Thanks, as always, in advance for your 2 cents.

Chuck

David

Why is a 30" fence more safe than a 52"? I've got a 52" and it hasn't
bitten me yet.

Let your conscience be your guide...

(Personally I'd be torn between the savings and dealing with a local
store to resolve any problems I might have with the equipment. I never
feel compelled to purchase from any one salesman just because he spent
time with me. That's their job.) I've bought on-line and I've bought
from local dealers. I can't complain about any of the online dealers
when I've had problems, though...

Dave

Woodchuck34 wrote:

[...]

Upscale

"Woodchuck34" wrote in message

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off). I'm torn. I
usually buy my stuff there because they're great whenever I have a
question, but I'd probably save another $175. What would you do?

The first thing I'd do is probably talk to the salesman in the store again.
Tell him you'd like to buy it from him because if the great service you
receive there, but that you could save $175 if you bought it from Amazon.
Ask him if there's anything he can do on the price.

If he can make some compromise, keeping in mind that he likely still won't
be able to match Amazon's price, then I'd buy it from him. Makes for
goodwill all around, keeping in mind that bargaining your local salesman
down to rock bottom price also won't get you any brownie points.

If he can't make any price adjustment, then you have to decide if his
goodwill is worth the difference. There's a number of times in my life when
$200 or so was a pittance compared to what I would have lost if I hadn't
paid the difference out of my pocket. Think of the great service and respect
you'll receive if you tell him you'll buy it from him anyway because of the
excellent way you've been treated in his store.

As far as 50" compare to 30" rails go, that you're going to have to think
long and hard about. It comes down to available space, what think you'll
likely be building most, and the difference in price.

Stuart Johnson

In article .com, "Woodchuck34" wrote:

Because of the X5 rebate, if I order by the end of the month, I get
another $100 off. I wanted a 52" fence, but the guy at Woodcraft made
a pretty good case for a 30" (safety, and saving the money).

My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

I have a Grizzly and changed to a Biesmeyer 52". I've not used a Unifence so I
can't talk about the difference but I'm glad I made the change. I don't see
why there is a safety issue with a 30" vs. 52".

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off).

I would go back to Woodcraft with a print out from Amazon and ask them to
match the price. Where I made my purchase would depend on their answer or
willingness to work with me. They might not be willing to match the price but
could make some sort of counter with a discount or accessories. When possible
I try to buy locally but only up to a point. That point depends on the
merchant and attitude.

Stuart Johnson
Red Oak, Texas

David

If they are willing to meet you halfway, that's an indication that you
might be dealing with a store who'll give good service after the sale.
If they are intractable before the sale, think how they'll be after.

Dave

Stuart Johnson wrote:

[...]

Leon

"Woodchuck34" wrote in message
oups.com...
Snip

Because of the X5 rebate, if I order by the end of the month, I get
another $100 off. I wanted a 52" fence, but the guy at Woodcraft made
a pretty good case for a 30" (safety, and saving the money).

The first time you need to rip something 32" wide you will be kinking
youself if you go with the narrower cut. I have never regretted getting the
52" capacity. Sounds more like he is trying to shoe horn you in to a TS.
Safety?

My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

The Bies style for me. I have heard plusses for both stiles but more
complaints about the unifence not always being straight.

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off). I'm torn. I
usually buy my stuff there because they're great whenever I have a
question, but I'd probably save another $175. What would you do?

Do like I do. Give them an offer that is fair to both of you. Leave the
ball in his court. If they want your business they will work with you.
Also I recomend buying every thing now to make the deal better for both of
you. If you also buy the mobile stand, out feed table, and that new blade
he will try harder to not loose the deal. The fact that you can return
anything for up to 1 year at Woodcraft is a nice insurance policy for a big
purchase like this. They will probably be with you every step of the way,
will Amazon be?

Woodchuck34

Should have been more clear on the safety issue of the 30" vs. the 52".
We were talking about making tall cabinets and being able to trim the
excess of a long side board. He said that its not safe to crosscut a
piece that is much longer than it is wide, which is correct, but we
didn't talk about dados or consider the use of that same fence for the
router table. Probably not worth if for the router, since its really
in a set position.

Lars S.

On 2005-03-21 09:18:26 -0600, "Woodchuck34" said:
My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

I've used both and I like the Bies better. That said, being able to
flip the unifence into the vertical position is something I miss.

There is a thoughtful article comparing the Bies to the Unifence here.
(Lot's of other useful reviews, as well.)

http://benchmark.20m.com/articles/articles.html

Lars

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off). I'm torn. I
usually buy my stuff there because they're great whenever I have a
question, but I'd probably save another $175. What would you do?

My third question, has anyone built the TS/Router Center cabinet in the
Oct. 2003 issue of Wood Mag? It would be ideal for me. I currently
have a similar setup on my TS, but is a first version and is a little
rough around the edges to say the least. I'm looking at the router
table as a good second table so I'm not concerned with the "router
table in the TS issue".

Thanks, as always, in advance for your 2 cents.

Chuck

Leon

"Woodchuck34" wrote in message
oups.com...
Should have been more clear on the safety issue of the 30" vs. the 52".
We were talking about making tall cabinets and being able to trim the
excess of a long side board. He said that its not safe to crosscut a
piece that is much longer than it is wide, which is correct, but we
didn't talk about dados or consider the use of that same fence for the
router table. Probably not worth if for the router, since its really
in a set position.

A saw with wider rip capacity does not make you do unsafe cuts. You can
just as easily try the same unsafe cut on a 30" capacity fence. If you put
your hand down on a spinning blade, that is unsafe also. The rip capacity
has nothing to do with how safe a saw is.

Pat Barber

I have both a 30" Unifence and a 50" Biesemeyer. There are
NO safety issues with one over the other. A 50" fence
does require a GREAT deal of real estate but is wonderful
in terms of space available for cutting.

I would deal locally since it tends to cut down on any
issues that might come up. I buy online. but not major
tools that might suffer through shipping.

Woodchuck34 wrote:

[...]

Wes Stewart

On 21 Mar 2005 07:18:26 -0800, "Woodchuck34"
wrote:

[...]

I went through the same thing you're going through exactly a year ago.
I don't understand a "safety issue" with the longer fence rails but
this decision depends on available space. I opted for the short Bies.
I have yet to regret it, but I imagine the time will come. Otherwise
a clamp-on straight edge and a circular saw have done the job. I can't
envision manhandling a 4 x 8' sheet of MDF onto the saw by myself
anyway.

As to the question of price difference, you need to ask yourself
whether you like having a Woodcraft store handy. I do, so I paid the
tax. They also delivered and helped unload it in my garage for an
extra $15 for "gas money." When the problems arise (they
will---guaranteed) it's nice to be able to go eyeball-to-eyeball with
the salesman and get it resolved.

My $0.02

Teamcasa

"Woodchuck34"
Friday night SWMBO gave me the green light to buy a new TS. Saturday
morning I was in the local Woodcraft talking to one of the guys about
the different features. narrowed
it down to a Delta.

Snipped

I wanted a 52" fence, but the guy at Woodcraft made
a pretty good case for a 30" (safety, and saving the money).

My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Amazon or Woodcraft?

My third question, has anyone built the TS/Router Center cabinet in the
Oct. 2003 issue of Wood Mag?

Chuck,
1) Lots of good advice on the 52" and I concur, get it.
2) Amazon vs Woodcraft. The diffrence will quickly disappear if and when
any problems arise.
3) No.

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
Woodchuck34 wrote:
[...]

There's a way to have the best of _both_ worlds.

Get a Unifence, and add a TTRACKUSA (http://www.ttrackusa.com/unifence.htm)
Uni-T-Fence to go with it.

Bob G.

wrote:

Friday night SWMBO gave me the green light to buy a new TS. Saturday
morning I was in the local Woodcraft talking to one of the guys about
the different features. I am interested in a Powermatic, Jet, or Delt
Contractor saw and after a long conversation, and a lot of research on
my own (I've been buildling the case for a new TS for weeks), narrowed
it down to a Delta.

Because of the X5 rebate, if I order by the end of the month, I get
another $100 off. I wanted a 52" fence, but the guy at Woodcraft made
a pretty good case for a 30" (safety, and saving the money).

My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

I have used both..... BUT MY saw in MY SHOP has a Bies on it... 'nough
said ! Except that mine is the 52" model..which if I remember
correctly (15 years ago) was only like 20 bucks more...
What saftey issues was this guy talking about.... Sorry but I can not
see any at all...

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off). I'm torn. I
usually buy my stuff there because they're great whenever I have a
question, but I'd probably save another $175. What would you do?

As A retired retailer my answer is pretty much biased as hell...
Buy local and use their services IF needed BUT at least you kow they
are still there...no 800 numbers to call..just walk in the door and
raise holly hell like any good customer...

My third question, has anyone built the TS/Router Center cabinet in the
Oct. 2003 issue of Wood Mag? It would be ideal for me. I currently
have a similar setup on my TS, but is a first version and is a little
rough around the edges to say the least. I'm looking at the router
table as a good second table so I'm not concerned with the "router
table in the TS issue".

Nope can't help you with this one... I no longer have a RT set up in
my tablesaw either...
I made a few then but years ago I needed to haul a RT out of State to
do a small project for my daughter... So I purchased a small Bench top
RT from Benchdog.... Heck when I got home my shop built table was
no longer "good enough" ...The Benchdog ..even the little one was much
better...

Lots of luck.
Bob Griffiths

Mike

wrote:

Because of the X5 rebate, if I order by the end of the month, I get
another $100 off. I wanted a 52" fence, but the guy at Woodcraft made
a pretty good case for a 30" (safety, and saving the money).

I you have room for the 52 and the budget is not a problem I'd go
ahead and get it. You may not need over 30" very often but the first
time you do you'll be wondering why you didn't buy the 52.

My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

I have both and I use the Biesemeyer on the job and much prefer it.
The Unifence is on the saw at home and does not see as much use. I
just find the Biesemeyer to be much more convenient besides having
iron rails instead of the aluminum on the Uni.

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off). I'm torn. I
usually buy my stuff there because they're great whenever I have a
question, but I'd probably save another $175. What would you do?

See if the guy will come down to get closer to the Amazon price. We
had the same situation a year or so ago and the local guy got within
$50.00 so we purchased locally. Also, I believe the saw is
available with different configurations with wings either stamped or
cast, one wing or two, extension table or not. Be sure you are
comparing apples to apples.

Mike O.

Greg O

"Woodchuck34" wrote in message
oups.com...

Because of the X5 rebate, if I order by the end of the month, I get
another $100 off. I wanted a 52" fence, but the guy at Woodcraft made
a pretty good case for a 30" (safety, and saving the money).

My first question is on the fence. Which style do you all prefer?

If you have the room buy the 52" fence. Biesmeyer or Unifence is a toss up,
both are good.
Greg

Greg O

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
I can't
envision manhandling a 4 x 8' sheet of MDF onto the saw by myself
anyway.

It can be done if you have the set up for it.
I have both infeed and outfeed tables and cut sheet goods by myself with no
problem. Yes those 4x8x3/4 sheets of MDF are a bugger!
Greg

Unisaw A-100

Woodchuck34 wrote:
He said that its not safe to crosscut a piece that is much longer
than it is wide, which is correct,

Do the guy a favor and go back and tell him the secrets of
the cross cut sled. He'll learn something.

UA100, who thinks the guy isn't doing his customers any
favors spreading rumors like that...
Leon

"Unisaw A-100" wrote in message
Woodchuck34 wrote:
He said that its not safe to crosscut a piece that is much longer
than it is wide, which is correct,

Do the guy a favor and go back and tell him the secrets of
the cross cut sled. He'll learn something.

I don't think he is there yet. Some times in the beginning stages of an
adventure you just hafta experience the occasion to really understand what
is involved.
I bought a new Jet ocilationg spindle sander earlier this month. I thought
it would be a luxury tool but have used it on 3 projects in the last 3
weeks. I had no clue that I would use it this much. I also thought that I
would need more 3" diameter replacement abrasive sleves than the smallest
ones. Yesterday I was happy that I had used the tool more before
discovering that the smaller sleves would probably wear out 10 times faster
than the 3" one. But after probably 2 hours of use on the machine none of
the abrasives show any wear yet, WHO KNOWS!!! Duh.

UA100, who thinks the guy isn't doing his customers any
favors spreading rumors like that...

Vhuck... I've asked at my local Woodcraft store a couple of times
about matching Amazon's prices and got a firm (but polite) "NO" every
time.

I wound up buying a barely used Jet 14" bandsaw locally this past
weekend. I even asked the guys there is they would consider a "For
Sale/Swap" board at the store that way someone wanting to buy a bigger
machine/tool from them might have a good selling resource and they
panned that.

This is not to say that if you did go in with the printout from Amazon
and talked to the sales guy that he might get a little flexible. Just
don't expect him to come near splitting the difference.

And yes... I still go there and pay top dollar for stuff that I think
I need!

Nike

wrote:

My second question is a moral issue. This guy spent a lot of time with
me and gave me some great insight. Do I cough up the extra money to
buy it there or do I avoid the sales tax and shipping charges and buy
it from Amazon (who is also giving an extra $25 off). I'm torn. I
usually buy my stuff there because they're great whenever I have a
question, but I'd probably save another $175. What would you do?

Thanks, as always, in advance for your 2 cents.

Chuck

B a r r y

This is not to say that if you did go in with the printout from Amazon
and talked to the sales guy that he might get a little flexible. Just
don't expect him to come near splitting the difference.

I'd like to point out what happens when people do this in my friend's
extremely successful bicycle shop, especially after the shop spends a
ton of time explaining pros and cons of various products.

We politely decline to match the offer, and often will think twice about
spending much quality time with that customer in the future. We'll
help, but only if we've got nobody else to help. The only time we'll
typically touch a price is if you've taken very little of our time, know
exactly what you want (you did your own homework), and we don't expect
to provide any after-sale service.

For example, our bicycles include all kinds of after the sale, no extra
charge, service. This service is real, costs us money to provide, and
is built into the selling price. We do not refer to it as "free"
service, but "included" service. If we know that we will never see the
bike again, we'll possibly knock the service costs off of the selling
price. Then, we add a "no service included" note to the computerized
sale history record.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeking the lowest price, as long
as the fact that brick and mortar retail stores do not exist as
showrooms for cut rate web vendors is kept in mind. I can see the tool
dealers in the exact same spot as a typical bike shop. Specialty
retailing is specialty retailing, regardless of the product.

Barry
Roy Smith

B a r r y wrote:
There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeking the lowest price, as long
as the fact that brick and mortar retail stores do not exist as
showrooms for cut rate web vendors is kept in mind. I can see the tool
dealers in the exact same spot as a typical bike shop. Specialty
retailing is specialty retailing, regardless of the product.

On the other hand, sometimes retailers shoot themselves in the foot.

When I was shopping for a saw, I went to my local Woodworkers Warehouse. I
had already spent a lot of time doing research, was ready to buy, and just
had a few more questions.

I walked into the store, started looking at the saws on display, and
basicly got ignored. After a while, I went up to the counter and asked for
help. The counter person said something like, "I'll send somebody over".
After a bunch more time, nobody had come over to help me yet, so I asked
again for help. Eventually somebody came to help me, but it was obvious
they knew nothing about the product.

We got around to talking about delivering the saw, and I was told they
don't deliver, I had to pick it up.

For good service, I was willing to pay their higher prices. What I got was
terrible service. Amazon was not only cheaper (and no sales tax), but they
also arranged delivery right to my house. I may be stupid, but sometimes
if you beat me over the head enough with a clue-by-four, I'll eventually
get the picture. I spent my $1500 with with Amazon.
B a r r y

Roy Smith wrote:
B a r r y wrote:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with seeking the lowest price, as long
as the fact that brick and mortar retail stores do not exist as
showrooms for cut rate web vendors is kept in mind. I can see the tool
dealers in the exact same spot as a typical bike shop. Specialty
retailing is specialty retailing, regardless of the product.

On the other hand, sometimes retailers shoot themselves in the foot.

Bad retail is bad retail, again regardless of product. G

Good shops know perfectly well that they have to earn the price
differential.

Barry
Marton Czebe

"Woodchuck34" wrote in message
Friday night SWMBO gave me the green light to buy a new TS.

you must have done well Friday night. Forget about the fence, tell us
about your sheet technique!

Marton
Upscale

"Marton Czebe" wrote in message
Friday night SWMBO gave me the green light to buy a new TS.

you must have done well Friday night. Forget about the fence, tell us
about your sheet technique!

Wouldn't that have been done well Thursday night? (or Friday afternoon?)

Bob G.

I bought a new Jet ocilationg spindle sander earlier this month. I thought
it would be a luxury tool but have used it on 3 projects in the last 3
weeks. I had no clue that I would use it this much. I also thought that I
would need more 3" diameter replacement abrasive sleves than the smallest
ones. Yesterday I was happy that I had used the tool more before
discovering that the smaller sleves would probably wear out 10 times faster
than the 3" one. But after probably 2 hours of use on the machine none of
the abrasives show any wear yet, WHO KNOWS!!! Duh.

I laughed when I read your response... Gosh about 5 or 6 years ago my
daughter gave me a Crapsman Ocilating Sander... for Christmas...

Course I smiled and gave my best song and dance ... Was not impressed
with the brand...not at all... BUT believe it or not it gets a hell of
a lot of use..and works just fine....My comments were really
concerning your usage... not about the brand...

Bob Griffiths

Woodchuck34

Barry,

You make a good point, but I don't expect too much service out of
Woodcraft. They are great and I do give them as much business as
possible (bought my Delta 580-22 there vs. Lowes despite a significant
price difference) but I'm really leaning towards saving some money.
They didn't have any of the models I was interested in at the store.
The guy said he could get me any of the models in which I was
intereseted, but when I asked for a specific price, he said that they
would be about $1000.

Right now I'm leaning towards the General 50-185L-M1 or one of the
Deltas (Delta 36-681XL or Delta 36-480). Everyone has been so helpful.
Does anyone have anything to say about these saws.

I appreciated the comments that my prowess in the sheets somehow
illicited my wife's sanctioning of the new TS, but unfortunately I
think it has more to do with how quickly she wants those 8' cabinets in
the family room.

Chuck

B a r r y

Woodchuck34 wrote:

I appreciated the comments that my prowess in the sheets somehow
illicited my wife's sanctioning of the new TS, but unfortunately I
think it has more to do with how quickly she wants those 8' cabinets in
the family room.

In my experience, well made cabinets, in a reasonable time frame, work
better than jewelery.

My wife also says that I'm sexy when I'm cleaning the house. G

Barry
Woodchuck34

Just an update/pleasant surprise. One of the saws that I'm eyeing is
the Delta 36-480. The local Woodcraft came in cheaper than
Toolking.com (by about $50 bucks) and were only beaten by BuyKimco.com
by about $50. For $50, I'd rather take my business to Woodcraft.

No the big decision comes down to my choice.

Do I go with the Delta 36-480 (52" Biesmeyer) or the General 50-185L-M1
(52" Biesmeyer)? Its all going to come down to shipping charges from
CT (toolplus.com).

Anyone who owns these have anything to say????

Chuck

I made a lot of money doing this! Nothing to lose! [email protected] Woodturning 4 January 27th 05 12:17 PM
Tech: B&K 465 conversion help needed. Long post Pat D. Electronics Repair 5 July 18th 04 01:22 AM
rec.woodworking ANTI-FAQ Part 1 of 10 - General Luigi Zanasi Woodworking 2 April 3rd 04 12:15 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM
Basement Post Not Aligned with Split In I-Beam Joe Parker Home Ownership 9 January 13th 04 08:47 PM