Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Joe Parker

Default Basement Post Not Aligned with Split In I-Beam

I am having a house built by a large home builder and have run into a
concern with the I-beam and support posts in the basement. There are
four steel I-beams that run the length of the house. At each point
where the ends of the beams meet, there is a post. One of the posts
is not centered beneath the gap in the i-beams and is so far to one
side that only about 1/4" to 1/2" of the I-beam is resting on top of
the post. Granted, there is a flange at the top of the post that is
fastened the I-beam, but, my concern is that the flange is supporting
a load that it was not meant to handle. Any input would be greatly
appreciated. As a footnote, I have raised this issue with the home
builder but am still waiting for a response from someone more
knowledgeable than the sales staff.

Thanks.
Punch

"Joe Parker" wrote in message
om...
I am having a house built by a large home builder and have run into a
concern with the I-beam and support posts in the basement. There are
four steel I-beams that run the length of the house. At each point
where the ends of the beams meet, there is a post. One of the posts
is not centered beneath the gap in the i-beams and is so far to one
side that only about 1/4" to 1/2" of the I-beam is resting on top of
the post. Granted, there is a flange at the top of the post that is
fastened the I-beam, but, my concern is that the flange is supporting
a load that it was not meant to handle. Any input would be greatly
appreciated. As a footnote, I have raised this issue with the home
builder but am still waiting for a response from someone more
knowledgeable than the sales staff.

Thanks.

1st, this should have been done with 2 I beams, no joints

2. each I beam should have its own post, your correct this sounds like to
much weight for 1 post.

On 30 Dec 2003 14:22:57 -0800, someone wrote:

.... One of the posts
is not centered beneath the gap in the i-beams

Are the beams fastened to each other (like with a pair of plates
bolted the web of each beam)? In that case, if properly designed, the
post doesn't necessarily have to be under the joint AT ALL.

If not, how does the beam in question fasten to the post? Only 1/2"
bearing doesn't seem to enough room for bolts, is it welded? How
thick is the plate on top of the post?

The way you say it sounds odd, but more details are needed. UNLIKE a
"2x4", steel comes in many different sections, with greatly different
strengths, for the same nominal beam height. It can be detailed in
many different ways. It may be a problem, it may not. There are also
several possible ways to re-detail the joint if it is a problem.

If you have any doubt, see what the building inspector says, or get
yourself a structural engineer to look at it. No, if the builder
thinks its okay, the builder will not likely pay for the engineer
unless someone other than you says it is a problem. If you really
think your house would fall down and kill your family, then seems to
me it should be worth $250 to you to have it checked. If there is a
documented problem, *then* you claim the $ back from the builder.

My house has a continuous (one piece) beam 33 feet long. But then I
used to be a steel designer, so I set it up that way (I was the
"builder" in that I drew the plans, obtained the building permit, and
then hired contractors to execute it).

-v.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:24:54 -0500, someone wrote:

2. each I beam should have its own post, your correct this sounds like to
much weight for 1 post.

You are an idiot, that is not the question, nor even the problem.

-v.

Punch

"v" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:24:54 -0500, someone wrote:

2. each I beam should have its own post, your correct this sounds like to
much weight for 1 post.

You are an idiot, that is not the question, nor even the problem.

-v.

so you think a 50foot span with one post in the centre is sufficient?

my house is 28ft long, they used 3 posts along this single beam.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:16:09 -0500, someone wrote:

so you think a 50foot span with one post in the centre is sufficient?

Damn right if it is properly sized. I have worked on many buildings
were there was 30 feet and more between columns ("posts"). Go down to
the local grocery store and see how far apart the columns are, and for
a much greater height, which strains the column even more with the
same weight, the design limitation is whether it will bend under load
and that propensity has to do with height. I used to design
structural steel. It would be NO PROBLEM at all to buy a column to
take the residential load you describe.

my house is 28ft long, they used 3 posts along this single beam.

You think the whole world is according to your house, plus you confuse
cause and effect. This probably has MUCH more to do with having
short, light weight BEAMS that carpenters can handle by hand (and is
your center beam actually steel, or are we talking WOOD, because then
the limitation is the strength & stiffness of a heavily loaded wooden
span, it is the beam that needs frequent posts, not the posts).

My house is 83 feet long. The only section that uses a center beam is
33 feet. For architectural reasons as to where the columns occur
above (my house has a center beam both in the basement and in the
first floor) the 2 columns are about 16 feet apart with about 8 feet
at each end; its as if the center post is "left out". And its not a
problem at all.

I once owned a garage that had a post right in the middle. I didn't
like it there, so I replaced the beam with one that spanned over 30
feet with no posts at all, just supported by each wall.

It would be okay if you have no clue as to structural design of steel,
if you would not make pronouncements as if you did.

-v
Punch

"v" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:16:09 -0500, someone wrote:

so you think a 50foot span with one post in the centre is sufficient?

Damn right if it is properly sized. I have worked on many buildings
were there was 30 feet and more between columns ("posts"). Go down to
the local grocery store and see how far apart the columns are, and for
a much greater height, which strains the column even more with the
same weight,

thats becuase the roof is designed to cary the load also...

You think the whole world is according to your house, plus you confuse
cause and effect.

nope just my opinion, just like you provide your opinion and think its
correct, you sir are a "know it all", and if a person doesn't agree with you
he must be wrong.

doubter

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:18:51 -0500, "Punch"
wrote:

"v" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:16:09 -0500, someone wrote:

so you think a 50foot span with one post in the centre is sufficient?

Damn right if it is properly sized. I have worked on many buildings
were there was 30 feet and more between columns ("posts"). Go down to
the local grocery store and see how far apart the columns are, and for
a much greater height, which strains the column even more with the
same weight,

thats becuase the roof is designed to cary the load also...

Say what? The roof IS the load.
Doug Miller

wrote:

"v" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 15:16:09 -0500, someone wrote:

so you think a 50foot span with one post in the centre is sufficient?

Damn right if it is properly sized. I have worked on many buildings
were there was 30 feet and more between columns ("posts"). Go down to
the local grocery store and see how far apart the columns are, and for
a much greater height, which strains the column even more with the
same weight,

thats becuase the roof is designed to cary the load also...

Say what? The roof IS the load.

Until it snows... then the load gets a bit heavier. :-)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 13:18:51 -0500, someone wrote:

thats becuase the roof is designed to cary the load also...

You are not following the posts. What the guy claimed was that it
would be too heavy for the POSTS if they were farther apart. Which is
an absolute crock of ****.

You actually AGREE with ME! (I explained to him that close post
spacing in homes is more a result of the requirements for the BEAMS.)

Thank you for your support!

-v.