John Moorhead

Default Woodworking teaching gig redux

Folks -

Well, I've been stamped, folded, pricked, tested, certified, administrated,
negotiated, collated and investigated. I start teaching woodworking at 9AM
on Monday, March 14, and I'll be teaching a total of 17 hours a week over 4
days. I only will have one group of students to start, a second will be
added as the program gears up.

I go in Tuesday, Wendnesday and Thursday next week to inventory, organize
and clean up the shop in preparation for class the following week.

I've even ordered myself a brand spankin' new shop apron from Duluth Trading
Co - I already have a good supply of the requisite flannel shirts.

They've told me to run the shop like it's my own show, and not worry about
picking up where the other classes left off - I'll be starting from scratch.
I figure I should start out class with what people already know - get some
familiarity with the group of ~15, then move on to safety and the very
basics of measuring and marking. When I discussed the math involved with
the making of say a circular table top, I was told to keep it VERY simple,
that not all students would understand fractions well, or would know what
"diameter" was. So, simple it is!

The shop has a belsaw molding cutter and a Shop-Bot - I've never used either
one, but would really like to learn all I can about CNC. I'll have a HUGE
(I hope!) project later this year that may warrant purchasing one for my own
shop.

Woodworking .101 here I come!

John Moorhead

Jerry S.

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
om...
Folks -

... I've even ordered myself a brand spankin' new shop apron ...

Do you get a leather one???

Teamcasa

Good luck in this endeavor. Teaching was a very rewarding time for me.

Kids are way smarter than the administration gives them credit for.
Properly challenge them and watch them rise to it.

Dave

[...]

http://www.usenet.com
San Diego Joe

"John Moorhead" wrote:

[...]

Hey good for you, congrats! Knock 'em dead.

--
San Diego Joe

Charles Spitzer

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
news:1109885721.fb0ef8c096c8c37db3e92e3c091e4d00@t eranews...
"John Moorhead" wrote:

[...]

don't take that literally.

--
San Diego Joe

Gerald Ross

John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

Well, I've been stamped, folded, pricked, tested, certified, administrated,
negotiated, collated and investigated. I start teaching woodworking at 9AM
on Monday, March 14, and I'll be teaching a total of 17 hours a week over 4
days. I only will have one group of students to start, a second will be
added as the program gears up.

Snip

Woodworking .101 here I come!

John Moorhead

What channel will it be on?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Football is to higher education what
bullfighting is to agriculture.

John Moorhead

Bill -

"Tour Guide" - I like that! This is a Regional Occupation Program, so I
think that the students are jr and sr HS students. I am supposed to have
another group of young adults down the road, but for now HS students.

Oh, and for the earlier poster, I got the olive drab apron from Duluth
Trading. They've been sending me catalogs for YEARS, and the apron -
aprons - I ordered TWO.... came today.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/83490.asp

I went through the ROP program here, I wasn't a "special needs" anything....
I just wanted to be a mechanic... and the instructor I had was a gem. I got
more common sense information and smarts in that classroom than I did from
*ALL* my perfessers in college (no slight intended, it's just how it is).

I am really looking forward to getting going! Thanks for your remarks -
mind if I pester you from time to time??

John Moorhead

PS: I expect the kids will have a real ball with my last name. I'm just
glad my first name isn't Richard.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
newsan.2005.03.03.22.23.46.91415@notarealserver. com...
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 13:16:35 -0800, Teamcasa wrote:

Good luck in this endeavor. Teaching was a very rewarding time for me.

Kids are way smarter than the administration gives them credit for.
Properly challenge them and watch them rise to it.

Dave

I agree. I taught adult education for 3 years to high-school dropouts.
These people had been told all their lives just exactly how stupid they
were.

You've never seen a trout rise to a fly the way these people rose to the
challenges I set in front of them (480 class room hours).

Tell your students that you were told that they wouldn't understand the
parts of a circle or what to do with them. Then promise that, if they
follow your lead, they'll know more about circles, triangles and lines
than the kids taking geometry class will. Then set out to make good on
your threats. Get a current issue geometry book and, as you go, let the
students know what page they are on when they calculate an area, find a
center from a chord, use a protractor to construct an angle and make it
fit its complement. Show them how to set up a compound angle and drill it
to a predetermined depth. Show them the math and show them the results and
make them do BOTH on their own.

Challenge them. Hard.

You didn't tell us their ages or grade level but I strongly urge you to
push them beyond the limits you might think reasonable. Likely as not,
they'll amaze you. Wake them up to the fact that you only record their
grades ... the wood actually gives them -- the evidence of learning is
accomplishment.

Somewhere mid-course you'll begin to see lights flickering and then
getting solidly turned on and you'll stop being a teacher and become a
tour guide.

That's the part I liked the best. Tour guide.

Best job I've ever had ... bar none.

Bill

loutent

Hi john,

PS: I expect the kids will have a real ball with my last name. I'm just
glad my first name isn't Richard.

I feel your energy. You might remember my post from before. I was the
one who taught middle school for 30 years (not shop).

I certainly wish you all the best.

Let's see (just getting you prepared!):

Mr. Moore "bore"
Mr. Head "case"
John, John
Stick-Man
Glue-Dude

You get it. Have a real thick skin and remember that they
are just kids. We did the same way back.

Again, best of luck. Be real and you will be fine.

Lou
John

Well then dagnabbit, I'd see to it that those kids learn their geometry
from their plane iron sharpening angles, their circle segment radii from
making moldings or scyma curves, and find the center point of a piece of
wood, and divide the edge of a board into thirds for mortise work, such
that after a couple of semesters they'd be quoting Pythagoras to that
administrator who may have lost sight of what's most important: to find,
and then rescue the mind of, that one kid who might otherwise have
dropped out.

If your class is the only "fun" genuinely educational experience that
they ever have, you'll be working miracles.

And maybe they'll be more inclined to make fun of Pythagoras' name than
your own. Or not! ;-)

Enjoy,

J.

John Moorhead wrote:
When I discussed the math involved with
the making of say a circular table top, I was told to keep it VERY simple,
that not all students would understand fractions well, or would know what
"diameter" was. So, simple it is!

Patriarch

"John Moorhead" wrote in
om:

snip
When I
discussed the math involved with the making of say a circular table
top, I was told to keep it VERY simple, that not all students would
understand fractions well, or would know what "diameter" was. So,
simple it is!

I never thought of either of my father's brothers as over educated, when it
came to school education. But both of them were really talented finish
carpenters, who knew how to use _every_ tool in the box, in ways I still
haven't figured out.

One of the most productive series of learning events that I had as a youth
was a tremendous amount of volunteer labor opportunity, working with my
dad, and literally dozens of skilled tradespeople on church and community
projects. The lessons taught, about what we were really capable of, were
some of the most valuable of that time.

Certainly made some of the academic lessons seem more important.

Enjoy this, John. Teach them like you care who they can become.

Patriarch,
wondering how kids with a limited understanding of math are going to take
to a CNC machine. It should be a great incentive.

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
John Moorhead wrote:
Bill -

PS: I expect the kids will have a real ball with my last name. I'm just
glad my first name isn't Richard.

All things are "relative" -- particularly with names.

The following are all absolutely true -- I know the parties personally.

A family, with the last name of "Butz", named their son Harold.

A family with the last name of "Tracey", named their son Richard. For some
strange reason, he went by "Rick". He could have had things a lot worse,
the local newspaper did *NOT* carry that comic strip.

Then there was the Dick family. The husband had a *terrible* (in _several_
meanings of the word!) sense of humor. He was seriously planning to name
their second daughter "Tracy". It took a *deadly*serious* threat of divorce
by his wife to talk him out of it.

Lastly, there is *my* great-grandmother. Maiden name Allah Micah (a good
Biblical name). However, when she married a Mr. Roy Gater, she became
Mrs. Allah Gater. One thing we know with absolute certainty -- she *really*
loved that man -- she *HAD* to, to be willing to live with _that_ for the
rest of her life.

Morris Dovey

John Moorhead wrote:

The shop has a belsaw molding cutter and a Shop-Bot - I've
never used either one, but would really like to learn all I
can about CNC. I'll have a HUGE (I hope!) project later this
year that may warrant purchasing one for my own shop.

It all sounds pretty exciting! My web site has some ShopBot info
(with lotsa pictures) that you may find helpful; and if I can be
of help to you, you're invited to e-mail me directly.

The ShopBot forum at http://www.talkshopbot.com has pictures of a
few student projects and discussion threads about 'Bots in
educational settings. Please feel welcome to join the forum.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Dave in Fairfax

Patriarch wrote:
A family we know personally, with the last name of Healey, named their
first son Austin.

First one shoulda been Jensen.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work

Patriarch

Dave in Fairfax wrote in news:4228B897.DB353EF5
@fairfax.com:

Patriarch wrote:
A family we know personally, with the last name of Healey, named their
first son Austin.

First one shoulda been Jensen.

Dave in Fairfax

Jensen Healey actually came later, and was really ugly, IMHO. (Speaking of
the automobile.)

I really wanted a 3000 when I was a youth.

Patriarch
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:13:05 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

I really wanted a 3000 when I was a youth.

I got to work on one a whole lot. Dad had the AH 100-4 and raced it
in gymkhanas and autocrosses when I was a wee lad. I even learned
how to tune spoke wheels before I was 10. A restored '54 is now worth
over $150k. thud

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming
Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 00:13:05 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

I really wanted a 3000 when I was a youth.

I got to work on one a whole lot. Dad had the AH 100-4 and raced it
in gymkhanas and autocrosses when I was a wee lad. I even learned
how to tune spoke wheels before I was 10. A restored '54 is now worth
over $150k. thud

I remember that those were really pretty, but the mechanicals were fairly
rudimentary, particularly in today's terms. My un-restored '51 spine needs
more modern engineering.

The search for a Healey was set aside, when in late '72 I met a dark-eyed
brunette, who drove an old VW bug. She turned out to be a much better
investment. ;-)

Patriarch
Dave in Fairfax

Patriarch wrote:
Jensen Healey actually came later, and was really ugly, IMHO. (Speaking of
the automobile.)
I really wanted a 3000 when I was a youth.

Ya know, I thought of that after I hit the send button, of
course. My younger brother had a thing for British cars, I
preferred modified and superstock. Oh well. He was the one
trying to keep the E-type running. I rebuilt a Sunbeam (Alpine,
not Tiger) and pinned the Jag speedo in it. All good clean fun
half a centruy ago.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 10:06:13 -0600, the inscrutable Patriarch
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote in

I got to work on one a whole lot. Dad had the AH 100-4 and raced it
in gymkhanas and autocrosses when I was a wee lad. I even learned
how to tune spoke wheels before I was 10. A restored '54 is now worth
over $150k. thud

I remember that those were really pretty, but the mechanicals were fairly
rudimentary, particularly in today's terms. My un-restored '51 spine needs
more modern engineering.

Like a nice little fuel-injected Ford 302 V-8? Cool.

The search for a Healey was set aside, when in late '72 I met a dark-eyed
brunette, who drove an old VW bug. She turned out to be a much better
investment. ;-)

I sure question her taste. (No, I meant on the bug.) bseg

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming

Charlie Self

Larry Jaques responds:

I really wanted a 3000 when I was a youth.

I got to work on one a whole lot. Dad had the AH 100-4 and raced it
in gymkhanas and autocrosses when I was a wee lad. I even learned
how to tune spoke wheels before I was 10. A restored '54 is now worth
over $150k.

I wantd the 3000, too, but...I just got back from a car show. Any idea
how much an absolutely CHERRY 1957 Chev Bel Air hardtop is worth these
days? Never been restored, factory paint, the only replacements have
been tires. It has been driven about 1035 miles since 1969, and very
little before that. My first new car was a '57 Chev convertible, and it
was in rougher shape after a month than this one is after nearly 50
years.

Met another guy who claims to have a '63 up on stands in his garage. He
bought it, drove it home, and now runs it monthly, on stands, shifting
through the gears to keep it limber.

FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
Teaching kids how to build skateboards using Vacuum Bagging technique Ted Hunter Woodworking 0 May 31st 04 09:23 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM