Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
John Moorhead

Default Woodworking teaching gig redux

Folks -

Well, I've been stamped, folded, pricked, tested, certified, administrated,
negotiated, collated and investigated. I start teaching woodworking at 9AM
on Monday, March 14, and I'll be teaching a total of 17 hours a week over 4
days. I only will have one group of students to start, a second will be
added as the program gears up.

I go in Tuesday, Wendnesday and Thursday next week to inventory, organize
and clean up the shop in preparation for class the following week.

I've even ordered myself a brand spankin' new shop apron from Duluth Trading
Co - I already have a good supply of the requisite flannel shirts.

They've told me to run the shop like it's my own show, and not worry about
picking up where the other classes left off - I'll be starting from scratch.
I figure I should start out class with what people already know - get some
familiarity with the group of ~15, then move on to safety and the very
basics of measuring and marking. When I discussed the math involved with
the making of say a circular table top, I was told to keep it VERY simple,
that not all students would understand fractions well, or would know what
"diameter" was. So, simple it is!

The shop has a belsaw molding cutter and a Shop-Bot - I've never used either
one, but would really like to learn all I can about CNC. I'll have a HUGE
(I hope!) project later this year that may warrant purchasing one for my own
shop.

Woodworking .101 here I come!

John Moorhead

FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
Teaching kids how to build skateboards using Vacuum Bagging technique Ted Hunter Woodworking 0 May 31st 04 09:23 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM