John Moorhead

Default Woodworking teaching gig redux

Folks -

Well, I've been stamped, folded, pricked, tested, certified, administrated,
negotiated, collated and investigated. I start teaching woodworking at 9AM
on Monday, March 14, and I'll be teaching a total of 17 hours a week over 4
days. I only will have one group of students to start, a second will be
added as the program gears up.

I go in Tuesday, Wendnesday and Thursday next week to inventory, organize
and clean up the shop in preparation for class the following week.

I've even ordered myself a brand spankin' new shop apron from Duluth Trading
Co - I already have a good supply of the requisite flannel shirts.

They've told me to run the shop like it's my own show, and not worry about
picking up where the other classes left off - I'll be starting from scratch.
I figure I should start out class with what people already know - get some
familiarity with the group of ~15, then move on to safety and the very
basics of measuring and marking. When I discussed the math involved with
the making of say a circular table top, I was told to keep it VERY simple,
that not all students would understand fractions well, or would know what
"diameter" was. So, simple it is!

The shop has a belsaw molding cutter and a Shop-Bot - I've never used either
one, but would really like to learn all I can about CNC. I'll have a HUGE
(I hope!) project later this year that may warrant purchasing one for my own
shop.

Woodworking .101 here I come!

John Moorhead

Jerry S.

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
om...
Folks -

... I've even ordered myself a brand spankin' new shop apron ...

Do you get a leather one???

Teamcasa

Good luck in this endeavor. Teaching was a very rewarding time for me.

Kids are way smarter than the administration gives them credit for.
Properly challenge them and watch them rise to it.

Dave

[...]

http://www.usenet.com
San Diego Joe

"John Moorhead" wrote:

[...]

Hey good for you, congrats! Knock 'em dead.

--
San Diego Joe

Charles Spitzer

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message
news:1109885721.fb0ef8c096c8c37db3e92e3c091e4d00@t eranews...
"John Moorhead" wrote:

[...]

don't take that literally.

--
San Diego Joe

Gerald Ross

John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

Well, I've been stamped, folded, pricked, tested, certified, administrated,
negotiated, collated and investigated. I start teaching woodworking at 9AM
on Monday, March 14, and I'll be teaching a total of 17 hours a week over 4
days. I only will have one group of students to start, a second will be
added as the program gears up.

Snip

Woodworking .101 here I come!

John Moorhead

What channel will it be on?

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Football is to higher education what
bullfighting is to agriculture.

John

Well then dagnabbit, I'd see to it that those kids learn their geometry
from their plane iron sharpening angles, their circle segment radii from
making moldings or scyma curves, and find the center point of a piece of
wood, and divide the edge of a board into thirds for mortise work, such
that after a couple of semesters they'd be quoting Pythagoras to that
administrator who may have lost sight of what's most important: to find,
and then rescue the mind of, that one kid who might otherwise have
dropped out.

If your class is the only "fun" genuinely educational experience that
they ever have, you'll be working miracles.

And maybe they'll be more inclined to make fun of Pythagoras' name than
your own. Or not! ;-)

Enjoy,

J.

John Moorhead wrote:
When I discussed the math involved with
the making of say a circular table top, I was told to keep it VERY simple,
that not all students would understand fractions well, or would know what
"diameter" was. So, simple it is!

Patriarch

"John Moorhead" wrote in
om:

snip
When I
discussed the math involved with the making of say a circular table
top, I was told to keep it VERY simple, that not all students would
understand fractions well, or would know what "diameter" was. So,
simple it is!

I never thought of either of my father's brothers as over educated, when it
came to school education. But both of them were really talented finish
carpenters, who knew how to use _every_ tool in the box, in ways I still
haven't figured out.

One of the most productive series of learning events that I had as a youth
was a tremendous amount of volunteer labor opportunity, working with my
dad, and literally dozens of skilled tradespeople on church and community
projects. The lessons taught, about what we were really capable of, were
some of the most valuable of that time.

Certainly made some of the academic lessons seem more important.

Enjoy this, John. Teach them like you care who they can become.

Patriarch,
wondering how kids with a limited understanding of math are going to take
to a CNC machine. It should be a great incentive.
Morris Dovey

John Moorhead wrote:

The shop has a belsaw molding cutter and a Shop-Bot - I've
never used either one, but would really like to learn all I
can about CNC. I'll have a HUGE (I hope!) project later this
year that may warrant purchasing one for my own shop.

It all sounds pretty exciting! My web site has some ShopBot info
(with lotsa pictures) that you may find helpful; and if I can be
of help to you, you're invited to e-mail me directly.

The ShopBot forum at http://www.talkshopbot.com has pictures of a
few student projects and discussion threads about 'Bots in
educational settings. Please feel welcome to join the forum.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

FA; eBay: Woodworking books videos Zak Woodturning 9 October 23rd 04 03:38 AM
Teaching kids how to build skateboards using Vacuum Bagging technique Ted Hunter Woodworking 0 May 31st 04 09:23 PM
FAQ Marlene & John Schwab Woodworking 2 October 23rd 03 12:47 AM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM