John

Well then dagnabbit, I'd see to it that those kids learn their geometry
from their plane iron sharpening angles, their circle segment radii from
making moldings or scyma curves, and find the center point of a piece of
wood, and divide the edge of a board into thirds for mortise work, such
that after a couple of semesters they'd be quoting Pythagoras to that
administrator who may have lost sight of what's most important: to find,
and then rescue the mind of, that one kid who might otherwise have
dropped out.

If your class is the only "fun" genuinely educational experience that
they ever have, you'll be working miracles.

And maybe they'll be more inclined to make fun of Pythagoras' name than
your own. Or not! ;-)

Enjoy,

J.

John Moorhead wrote:
When I discussed the math involved with
the making of say a circular table top, I was told to keep it VERY simple,
that not all students would understand fractions well, or would know what
"diameter" was. So, simple it is!