Steve Knight

Default We wonder why americans are so fat.

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Leon

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

Hey that is the new multi person "Stair Climber". It runs in reverse. LOL

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:26:45 +0000, B a r r y wrote:

Steve Knight wrote:
http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

I've seen people waiting for the front row parking spots at my gym.

I've also fought with two gyms over a lack of bicycle parking. The
first gym suggested that no one was interested in riding a bicycle to
the gym, as the gym had stationary bikes. G

My current place accommodated me, there are now 4 others who cycle to
the gym! We get our cardio on the way to the gym, rather than in it.

After a couple of months of going to the gym, I realized the absurdity of
driving there and then spending 20 minutes on an exercise bicycle or
treadmill, especially since the 5km ride is mostly uphill both ways. But I
did wimp out this winter despite having studded tires on my bike. Don't
trust the drivers.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

J. Clarke

Steve Knight wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

It's funny, but realistically odds are that the building was something else
before it was a gym and it's cheaper to keep the escalators than to tear
them out out and if they're not running then that gives a sense of
disrepair.

OTOH, I like the idea of running them both down--they'd be a workout going
in and when you've worn yourself out in the gym then they'd be a relief
coming out.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Lazarus Long

Touche.

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:04:09 -0800, Steve Knight
wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

Lazarus Long

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:26:45 GMT, B a r r y
wrote:

I've also fought with two gyms over a lack of bicycle parking. The
first gym suggested that no one was interested in riding a bicycle to
the gym, as the gym had stationary bikes. G

Barry

I guess the only thing they can see is the business plan and not the
results the customers are looking for. Kinda sad. Which gym is
that? Might be a place to avoid.

Leon

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Steve Knight wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

It's funny, but realistically odds are that the building was something
else
before it was a gym and it's cheaper to keep the escalators than to tear
them out out and if they're not running then that gives a sense of
disrepair.

That may very well be the case. The last guy on is taking a step and not
holding on. Looks like he may not be riding. LOL

Ian Wheeler

When I was a memeber at the local gym a couple of years back, I could never
understand why people parked illegally in the fire lane right outside the
building rather than walking 100 yards from the back of the parking lot.

It happens everywhere.

Ian

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:04:09 -0800, the inscrutable Steve Knight
spake:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

No kidding. g But the guy at the bottom is walking up the
escalator, so he's only half bad.

Proud (occasional) maker of Hungarian Paper Towels.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

mac davis

wrote:

Steve Knight wrote:
http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

I've seen people waiting for the front row parking spots at my gym.

I've also fought with two gyms over a lack of bicycle parking. The
first gym suggested that no one was interested in riding a bicycle to
the gym, as the gym had stationary bikes. G

My current place accommodated me, there are now 4 others who cycle to
the gym! We get our cardio on the way to the gym, rather than in it.

Barry

Can't blame them, from a business standpoint... unless you're a life member,
it's not it their interest for you to get in shape on the WAY there...
Hell, if I owned the gym, I'd probably open a donut shop out front.. lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
B a r r y

Lazarus Long wrote:

I guess the only thing they can see is the business plan and not the
results the customers are looking for. Kinda sad. Which gym is
that? Might be a place to avoid.

Both are local onesie-twosie Connecticut places. I started avoiding
large gym chains in 1989.

The place that made an effort is Wow Fitness. The one that didn't is
formerly known as Champions. The only upside of Champions is that you
can get ice time year-round.

Barry

B a r r y

mac davis wrote:

Can't blame them, from a business standpoint... unless you're a life member,
it's not it their interest for you to get in shape on the WAY there...

Lifting weights on the bike is difficult. G

Barry
Michael Daly

On 8-Feb-2005, "Luigi Zanasi" wrote:

especially since the 5km ride is mostly uphill both ways.

Escher is the urban planner in your area?

Mike
Hank Gillette

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

Of course we can't tell if there are other businesses up on the plateau.
And not everyone who goes to a fitness center is there to exercise.

--
Hank Gillette

Mark & Juanita

Steve Knight wrote:
http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

I've seen people waiting for the front row parking spots at my gym.

I've also fought with two gyms over a lack of bicycle parking. The
first gym suggested that no one was interested in riding a bicycle to
the gym, as the gym had stationary bikes. G

My current place accommodated me, there are now 4 others who cycle to
the gym! We get our cardio on the way to the gym, rather than in it.

After a couple of months of going to the gym, I realized the absurdity of
driving there and then spending 20 minutes on an exercise bicycle or
treadmill, especially since the 5km ride is mostly uphill both ways. But I
did wimp out this winter despite having studded tires on my bike. Don't
trust the drivers.

Well, since the roads were built for automobile traffic ....

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Todd Fatheree

Steve Knight wrote:
http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

I've seen people waiting for the front row parking spots at my gym.

I've also fought with two gyms over a lack of bicycle parking. The
first gym suggested that no one was interested in riding a bicycle to
the gym, as the gym had stationary bikes. G

My current place accommodated me, there are now 4 others who cycle to
the gym! We get our cardio on the way to the gym, rather than in it.

After a couple of months of going to the gym, I realized the absurdity of
driving there and then spending 20 minutes on an exercise bicycle or
treadmill, especially since the 5km ride is mostly uphill both ways. But

did wimp out this winter despite having studded tires on my bike. Don't
trust the drivers.

Well, since the roads were built for automobile traffic ....

Actually, most states have laws on the books that state that bicycles are
"intended users" of the road system.

todd

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:42:02 -0600, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

.. .

Steve Knight wrote:
[...]

Yes, I know those laws are on the books. Doesn't change the fact that
bicycles travel 10 to 20 mph below normal traffic speed, are at an extreme
disadvantage, particularly on blind curves and are always going to be on
the losing side of any encounter with a car.

Sorry, just hit a sore spot with me, I live in an area near subdivisions
where people think that a narrow, 2 lane road with very narrow shoulders is
a great place to go riding. This road also has blind curves where one
coming around a corner could potentially hit a bicyclist travelling 25 MPH
on a 40 MPH road in many cases, the bicyclists don't use the shoulder since
the shoulder is barely there. The answer is *not* to penalize the people
using the road for its *really* intended purpose by making the speed limit
slower, it is hoping that somehow these recreational riders would gain a
bit of wisdom and courtesy and realize that a) they are endangering
themselves, and b) through their actions they are inconveniencing others,
taking away time from those people who might also like to get home or get
their business done so that they also can enjoy some recreational
activities.

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
Army General Richard Cody
Silvan

Steve Knight wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

Escalators. Outside. Escalators outside? Escalators OUTside?
shakes head in bafflement

Must be some left coast thing. A climate where it doesn't rain much, and
only snows a few times a century.

Anyway, I hate escalators. They're too slow.

On the general topic though, some of you have probably seen that ad where
the guy goes up to the lost & found desk with two jiggly pink blobby
things. They turn out to be love handles. "Lots of people lose their love
handles taking the stairs instead of the escalator."

Well, I'm here to tell you it ain't so. When SWMBO was in the hospital, I
visited umpty times a day, and I only took the elevator down on the day
they released her. I could almost always walk past the people waiting at
the elevator, another 50-100' or so down the hall, then up four flights of
stairs, then back 50-100' to the elevator, to be walking past as the
baffled people from the ground floor were emerging. "How the hell did you
get up here so fast?"

I bought a pedometer, and I was logging 10,000 steps a day easy.

It didn't do jack **** for my love handles, or my weight either one. All it
did was further carve my already sculpted legs. Sculpted legs with a big
blob of Hank Hill grafted on top. I'm a truck driver. I can leg press 500
pounds (or I could if my damn sorry ass knees were up for the strain) but
above the waist I'm a bowl full of jelly.

My love handles are still firmly attached. I have legs that would make any
leg wimminz (there are leg men, so there must be leg wimminz, right?) get
all gah-gah, but everything north of there looks terrible. It's extremely
depressing. (Well, my forearms are sculpted nicely too. Not quite Popeye,
but getting in that neighborhood. I don't want to talk about my biceps
though.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
John

Steve Knight wrote:

[...]

A word of wisdom from my oldman.
"It's better to be wrong and alive than right and dead"
John

Andrew Barss

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

What vehicle do you drive?

-Andy Barss

Leon

[...]

I have always told my son that the pedestrian always has the right of way
but to never try to test that fact.

Leon

"Silvan" wrote in message

Anyway, I hate escalators. They're too slow.

Sometimes they are over loaded. LOL

I am entertained by the moving sidewalks at the many of the air ports.
Trying to keep up with the people riding them will give you a work out.

Rick

"Silvan" wrote in message
Steve Knight wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

Escalators. Outside. Escalators outside? Escalators OUTside?
shakes head in bafflement

Can you say Photoshop?

Uneven and inaccurate shadows, stairs receiving full sunlight and escalators
aren't (despite the bright "sunshine" on left side rail support), uneven
blending around escalator base.

Ah, the artful troll.

Rick

B a r r y

Well, since the roads were built for automobile traffic ....

In the US, all 50 states recognize bicycles as "vehicular traffic" and a
percentage of all federal road construction dollars are now supposed to
be used for pedestrian and bicycle access.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bikeped/index.htm
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/pedbimot/bike/resourceguide/index.html

I'm realistic enough not to "take" the right of way in front of 18
wheeler while wearing an "I have a right to the road" sign, but I
wouldn't make that statement to an accident investigator after a
car-bike crash. G I'm also realistic enough to know that cyclists
disobey laws as often as motorists, and that the right of way is
granted, not taken.

Barry

B a r r y

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Sorry, just hit a sore spot with me, I live in an area near subdivisions
where people think that a narrow, 2 lane road with very narrow shoulders is
a great place to go riding. This road also has blind curves where one
coming around a corner could potentially hit a bicyclist travelling 25 MPH
on a 40 MPH road in many cases, the bicyclists don't use the shoulder since
the shoulder is barely there.

What's the speed limit on that curve? Not what's normally driven, the
legal limit?

Barry
Christopher Horner

Rick wrote:
"Silvan" wrote in message

Steve Knight wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

Escalators. Outside. Escalators outside? Escalators OUTside?
shakes head in bafflement

Can you say Photoshop?

Yeah, but not this time.

Uneven and inaccurate shadows, stairs receiving full sunlight and escalators
aren't (despite the bright "sunshine" on left side rail support), uneven
blending around escalator base.

I once lived a few miles up the road from this shopping center and we
all got a good laugh at the irony of the elevator. It's on Midway Drive
in Point Loma, just north of downtown San Diego.

Imagined artifacts notwithstanding, here's another picture with a bit
more context:

http://home.sandiego.edu/~bschoch/pictures/gym.jpg

Ah, the artful troll.

Rick

Will

Hilarious.

Christopher Horner wrote:
Rick wrote:

"Silvan" wrote in message

Steve Knight wrote:

[...]

Occasional Techno-geek
Jim Behning

wrote:

. ..

Steve Knight wrote:
[...]

Where I live in Georgia I have to deal with tractors going down the
road. They sometimes go slower than the cyclists. I deal with cow crap
from cow hauling trailers. There used to be farming where you lived
20-30 years ago pre yuppy scum days.

Is it possible that your driving of your car is taking away from the
rights of those who might want to enjoy their recreational acticvities
but are intimidated by you driving 50 in a 40 zone? Are the rights of
an automobile driver or drivers greater than that of the other
taxpayers who may not be in a car? Not all roads are built with
automobile fuel tax dollars. Riding where you live stinks. About the
only safe time to ride is Sunday mornings but that is quite dangerous
with the Baptists hellbent on getting to church to talk about love as
they run folks off the road. If you can dodge the Baptists or
Presbyterians or Methodists or Lutherans you can have an ok Sunday
morning ride. The Seventh Day Adventists are not much of an issue.

Bicyclists are not required to ride on the shoulder. State law. Most
Georgia roads don't have shoulders as an option. Have you lobbied your
state and local representatives for shoulders on the road without
wakeup cuts so that you can fly home without runners and cyclists in
your way? Don't forget to lobby for sidewalks which allow kids a safe
way to get around as well as old folks out for strolls trying to
recover from years of driving cars.

Waiting a minute or a few minutes to get around a tractor or cyclists
or old folks driving slow only kills someone if they pass stupidly.
you got 1440 minutes in the day. 2 minutes does not have to ruin your
day.
cyrille de brébisson

Hello,

I read a recent study that was stating that the american food industry
produced 3800 calories per person per day (including babies and old
peoples)...
when you know that a normal diet for an active adult is in the 1800~2000
calories a day, and that the food industry is trying it's darnest to get you
to eat their product....

no wonder america is fat!

cyrille

news

Steve Knight wrote:
[...]

Robatoy

In article ,
Jim Behning wrote:

About the
only safe time to ride is Sunday mornings but that is quite dangerous
with the Baptists hellbent on getting to church to talk about love as
they run folks off the road. If you can dodge the Baptists or
Presbyterians or Methodists or Lutherans you can have an ok Sunday
morning ride. The Seventh Day Adventists are not much of an issue.

Ahhhh... beware of the Religious Right-of-Way!

You cracked me up, Jim..thanks for that.

0?0

Rob
Brian Siano

J. Clarke wrote:

Steve Knight wrote:

http://matt-massie.com/archives/images/24fitness.jpg
I really cracked up with this picture.

It's funny, but realistically odds are that the building was something else
before it was a gym and it's cheaper to keep the escalators than to tear
them out out and if they're not running then that gives a sense of
disrepair.

OTOH, I like the idea of running them both down--they'd be a workout going
in and when you've worn yourself out in the gym then they'd be a relief
coming out.

That's a good idea. But right now, the place looks like it offers
Segways to its members to enable them to move through their routines
more efficiently.

Which gives us the spectacle of obese people on Segways, spinning around
like Baron Harkonnen from _Dune_...
Rick

"Christopher Horner" wrote in message
Can you say Photoshop?

Yeah, but not this time.

I was certain that was photoshopped ... but I was wrong. Thanks for clearing
that up.

Regards,

Rick

Luigi Zanasi

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:52:33 +0000, Michael Daly wrote:

On 8-Feb-2005, "Luigi Zanasi" wrote:

especially since the 5km ride is mostly uphill both ways.

Escher is the urban planner in your area?

Ackshally, time wise it is. To get there takes me about 12 minutes, of which
about 7 are spent climbing a hill, three minutes on the flat and 2 minutes
downhill. 35 minutes return, mostly climbing (2 big steep hills).

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html

Tim Douglass

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 07:12:45 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Silvan" wrote in message

Anyway, I hate escalators. They're too slow.

Sometimes they are over loaded. LOL

I am entertained by the moving sidewalks at the many of the air ports.
Trying to keep up with the people riding them will give you a work out.

A lot of airports have one side of the moving sidewalks reserved for
people who want to walk with the other side for those who want to
ride. I was always a walker, and since I walk fast anyway, I could
make pretty good time down one of those things.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Steve Knight

The answer is *not* to penalize the people
using the road for its *really* intended purpose by making the speed limit
slower, it is hoping that somehow these recreational riders would gain a
bit of wisdom and courtesy and realize that a) they are endangering
themselves, and b) through their actions they are inconveniencing others,
taking away time from those people who might also like to get home or get
their business done so that they also can enjoy some recreational
activities.

god forbid if someone makes a driver a bit late. Hell I can't even cross the
street as drivers won't stop turning right. How many times have I had to jump
out of the way of some driver who did not yield the right of way when it was
time for me to cross?
try riding a bike then you will get your recreational activities and relive
some stress your getting yourself under.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Charles Krug

wrote:

"Silvan" wrote in message

Anyway, I hate escalators. They're too slow.

Sometimes they are over loaded. LOL

I am entertained by the moving sidewalks at the many of the air ports.
Trying to keep up with the people riding them will give you a work out.

A lot of airports have one side of the moving sidewalks reserved for
people who want to walk with the other side for those who want to
ride. I was always a walker, and since I walk fast anyway, I could
make pretty good time down one of those things.

Here's the tale of a Manhattan marketing wonk who joined an excercise
class lead by a SEAL instructor.

Just in case anyone who lives in the NYC area needs help with their New
Years resolutions.

http://www.shankman.com/sealpt.html

Enjoy!

Silvan

B a r r y wrote:

percentage of all federal road construction dollars are now supposed to

disobey laws as often as motorists, and that the right of way is
granted, not taken.

I have no problem with the theory, but in practice, it just doesn't work.
If you're *in* the road, you're in the way. It's hard to even *idle* a car
at the same speed an average bike is moving. That means you need to get
off to the side, but there isn't any place to ride off to the side in the
vast vast majority of situations, so you're left either trying to run up
the gravel, or run up the narrow strip of pavement on the gravel side of
the solid white line. Either way, it's dangerous, and you're still too
damn close to the traffic. People generally will move over a little when
they can, but they often can't, and they often don't even when they could
have. It all adds up to making cycling on public roads look like one of
the most suicidal endeavors ever invented. Except in the 0.01% of places
that actually have intelligently designed bike lanes and whatnot anyway.

None of that around here, so I either walk or drive. I feel that when I'm
walking, I can dodge faster, and more safely. Walking feels comparatively
secure, while riding a bike feels like I've got a target painted on my
back. Oh well, walking is good too. Easier on the knees too. Pedalling
up these hills around here is absolute hell on my knees.

I had a lot of fun on my bike while the highway was being built though.
Dirt at first, then pavement mixed with gravel and dirt, then mostly
pavement, then eventually full blown pavement with lines and everything. I
bought a speedometer so I could see how far I rode and stuff. It was cool
getting on my bike at the top of the hill in one town and then pedalling
like a ******* for awhile, getting the thing up to about 45 mph, and then
coasting the rest of the way up and down a few more hills until I wound up
in the next town. Going right down the dotted white line. That was so
cool.

Until they opened the highway up.

(Actually, 45 mph was too fast for that Wal-Mart special. It felt like I
was going to wreck if I ran over a flea, so I only did that a couple of
times.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 05:34:35 -0800, the inscrutable Christopher Horner
spake:

Rick wrote:
Can you say Photoshop?

Yeah, but not this time.

Uneven and inaccurate shadows, stairs receiving full sunlight and escalators
aren't (despite the bright "sunshine" on left side rail support), uneven
blending around escalator base.

I once lived a few miles up the road from this shopping center and we
all got a good laugh at the irony of the elevator. It's on Midway Drive
in Point Loma, just north of downtown San Diego.

Imagined artifacts notwithstanding, here's another picture with a bit
more context:

http://home.sandiego.edu/~bschoch/pictures/gym.jpg

I was thinking there was one on Miramar Road (across the street from
the little NAS Miramar Top Gun station) which looked similar, too.

-
They who know the truth are not equal to those who love it. -Confucius
---
http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Programming Services

Steve Knight

None of that around here, so I either walk or drive. I feel that when I'm
walking, I can dodge faster, and more safely. Walking feels comparatively
secure, while riding a bike feels like I've got a target painted on my
back. Oh well, walking is good too. Easier on the knees too. Pedalling
up these hills around here is absolute hell on my knees.

got to learn to gear right and spin so you don't hurt you knee's.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes