Tom Watson

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:53:38 +0000, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

Can be. SOP is: I walk into my Home Hardware quasi borg, say hi to some
of the nice staff. Start looking for stuff. Nice guy or gal comes to me
and says: "Can I help you Luigi?"

"I'm looking for a certain particular blurfl, can't seem to find it. Do
you have any?" says I. Answer is:
(a) "I think we have some in aisle XX, let's go check." or
(b) "I don't think so, but I think Crappy Tire/Gordy/Kilrich might have
it." or
(c) "I don't know, but [insert name of other staff] might know. Hey
[name of other staff]! Do you know where the blurfls are?" or
(d) "We don't have any, but how about using a whatchamacallit instead?"
or
(e) "We could bring it in/We can't bring them in anymore."

Yabbut yer in Canuckistan, where people treat each other more nicer.
It's sorta like Minnesota (the Stepford State), only more Norther.

Around here a lot of the folks who work at HD look like they were
hired to keep them from hanging around the parking lot and mugging
people.

Got a kid with purple hair and more metal stuck in his body than yer
average junk yard - and the only reason I can figure for him working
in the plumbing section is that he's got plumbers cleavage from
wearing his pants so low.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Swingman

"Silvan" wrote in message

HD. The two stores are about 90% identical merchandise/price wise. The
layouts are different, and that's annoying. I'd rather shop at the one
where I know how to find stuff, and for me, that's Lowe's. I almost never
bother to drive a bit further up the street to HD. It's not that I hate
HD, but I do feel like their store is pretty much superfluous. Lowe's is
closer, familiar, and 90% identical. Oh, and it's blue, not orange. I
hate orange.

Here in my neck of the woods, Lowe's is cleaner, much more organized, less
busy, and you are more likely to hear English over the PA.

Home Depot is the exact opposite, but closer, and, since I have both a
commercial and individual HD account, I rarely go elsewhere.

Besides, Lowe's, thus far, is also the ONLY place in the world I've been,
including the UK and Europe, where my Visa business debit card will simply
NOT work without ten minutes hassle ... go figure.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Edwin Pawlowski

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

They don't have salesmen at the Borg, they have clerks.

--

Roger Shoaf

Aren't they all "associates" now? Or are they just human resources?

Bob Schmall

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Unisaw A100 wrote:
Capitol Court.

No really. A brilliant move on Lowes' part with the nearest
Home Depot's being 60 blocks in either direction (Tosa/Port
Road).

St. Soozan told me where the next one is going in but I've
slept since then and, well, I forgot.

UA100

This just in. St. Soozan informs me that the rumor is the
next Lowes is going in at a 124th. and Burleigh, where the
Briggs & Stratton plant *used* to be which puts them nearly
in Home Depot's front parking lot.

UA100, who hasn't been by to see the carnage at B&S yet...

Check the front page of this morning's Journal Sentinel business section.

Bob Schmall

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
BTW, don't try talking to that friendly looking 5' 4" gentleman/lady
always
standing in the same spot just past the entrance door ... he/she's a
cardboard cutout.

Now you tell me.

I thought she was a lezbo 'cause she ignored me when I hit
on her.

sigh...

UA100

You hit on a cardboard sign?

sigh....

Bob

Bob Schmall

"Unisaw A100" wrote in message
Australopithecus scobis wrote:
Menard's OTH (on 76th) has actively hostile twerps roaming the aisles.

The Menard's "up by me" has a program where they'll give you
a discount if you can show a picture of a car on blocks in
front of your double wide or prove that you store your ice
auger in your bedroom.

UA100, who once saw a bumper sticker that read, "Deer Fear
Me, Women Crave Me" and thought, that's a Menard's
shopper...

If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through

38 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim

by, you might live in Wisconsin.

If you have ever refused to buy something because it's "too

spendy", you might live in Wisconsin.

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might

live in Wisconsin.

If you have either a pet or a child named "Brett", you might live

in Wisconsin.

If you see people wearing camouflage at social events (including

weddings and funerals), you might live in Wisconsin.

Bob

Charlie Self

Tom Watson responds:

Around here a lot of the folks who work at HD look like they were
hired to keep them from hanging around the parking lot and mugging
people.

Got a kid with purple hair and more metal stuck in his body than yer
average junk yard - and the only reason I can figure for him working
in the plumbing section is that he's got plumbers cleavage from
wearing his pants so low.

I asked one of those kids if he wanted me to talk to his boss about a raise,
see if maybe he could then afford some clothes that fit. I guess being broke
embarrassed him. He turned purplish red (or reddish purple: I never could tell
the difference).

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000
Swingman

"Bob Schmall" wrote in message

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might
live in Wisconsin.

You've been peeking ... that's my "winter uniform" here in Texas.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Charlie Self

UA100 responds:

The Menard's "up by me" has a program where they'll give you
a discount if you can show a picture of a car on blocks in
front of your double wide or prove that you store your ice
auger in your bedroom.

UA100, who once saw a bumper sticker that read, "Deer Fear
Me, Women Crave Me" and thought, that's a Menard's
shopper.

Dyslexic, too. He got it backwards.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000
GregP

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:40:17 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

As far as the Lowes' vs. HD experience, when HD finally came to town, I
looked around a few times, and pronounced it "just like Lowe's, only
orange."

Don't the Lowes tend to have wider aisles and better lighting ?
The local HD I go to is "remodeling" now to achieve the same
effect before Lowes moves in (western ny).

There are two basic influences on service. One is the company,
the other is the attitude of the customer. While the former is the
more signficant one, don't underestimate the influence of the latter.

Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:19:00 -0500, Tom Watson wrote:

.... snip

Yabbut yer in Canuckistan, where people treat each other more nicer.
It's sorta like Minnesota (the Stepford State), only more Norther.

Around here a lot of the folks who work at HD look like they were
hired to keep them from hanging around the parking lot and mugging
people.

So you actually *see* clerks in HD? I see checkout people and every once
in a while, if I turn my head quickly enough, I will see an orange apron
scurrying around the corner of an aisle (they must be shy and customers
scare them). But clerks, can't say I've seen a live one in a while.

Got a kid with purple hair and more metal stuck in his body than yer
average junk yard - and the only reason I can figure for him working
in the plumbing section is that he's got plumbers cleavage from
wearing his pants so low.

Well, for a while they were advertising that many of their clerks were
experienced in the trades. Maybe they equate plumber's cleavage with
plumber's experience.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Army General Richard Cody

Swingman

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

So you actually *see* clerks in HD? I see checkout people and every

once
in a while, if I turn my head quickly enough, I will see an orange apron
scurrying around the corner of an aisle (they must be shy and customers
scare them).

Ever notice all the various badges and pins on those orange aprons? Must be
based on seniority and experience ... the more badges, the better they are
at ignoring you, or scurrying away.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mike

..

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:33:17 -0800, the inscrutable Fly-by-Night CC
spake:

In article ,
Unisaw A100 wrote:

SNIP
buggered

SNIP
buggered

SNIP
unbuggered

SNIP
buggered...

Sompin' on yer mind there Uni a'hunnert?

It definitely seems so, but is it legal in his state?

TANSTAAFL: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
http://diversify.com Gourmet Web Applications
==========================

Unisaw A100 wrote:

This just in. St. Soozan informs me that the rumor is the
next Lowes is going in at a 124th. and Burleigh, where the
Briggs & Stratton plant *used* to be which puts them nearly
in Home Depot's front parking lot.

UA100, who hasn't been by to see the carnage at B&S yet...

I believe this rumor. In the paper today (or yesterday) was a picture
of the demolition of the B&S plant, with a caption about a "Big Box"
store in the works. Me, I try my best to stick to Elliot's. Just west
of 164 (fomerly J) on Capital. Best Hardware Store in the Land.
There's also one in Elm Grove, and at least one other...

dave

Silvan

Charlie Self wrote:

Got a kid with purple hair and more metal stuck in his body than yer
average junk yard - and the only reason I can figure for him working
in the plumbing section is that he's got plumbers cleavage from
wearing his pants so low.

I asked one of those kids if he wanted me to talk to his boss about a
raise, see if maybe he could then afford some clothes that fit. I guess
being broke embarrassed him. He turned purplish red (or reddish purple: I
never could tell the difference).

An interesting aside. The guy who played Stiffler, the obnoxious prick in
the American Pie series of movies, was found working in a Home Depot.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Luigi Zanasi

On Saturday 29 Jan 2005 4:52 pm, Larry Jaques scribbled:

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:53:38 +0000, the inscrutable Luigi Zanasi
spake:

(e) "We could bring it in/We can't bring them in anymore."

Like JOAT says, life is good.

Poor WeeGee. Good customer service is simply rampant up there, isn't
it? (You Suck.)

I forgot the best part: the tool section is straight ahead as you walk
in the door (no need to turn) and there is no cage for the tools like I
saw in a HD in Montreal. The SOP is usually prefaced with an initial
involuntary ablution of the General 350 with Biesemeyer clone fence.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
Tom Watson

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:21:56 -0600, Unisaw A100
wrote:

We just got our very first Lowes and after my visit I
noticed that it/they are vastly different from Home Depot.
At Lowes you turn left to get to the tool department. At
Home Depot you turn right.

UA100, who wonders if it's subliminal...

Cis Trans Boom

Cis Boom Trans

Cis Boom Ba

watson - who has been wondering about which store Uncle Jessy would
shop at.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Unisaw A100

Tom Watson wrote:
watson - who has been wondering about which store Uncle Jessy would
shop at.

Sandlewood.

UA100

Tom Watson

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 14:32:43 GMT, Unisaw A100
wrote:

Sandlewood.

UA100

Ya know, 'hunnert - yer 'bout ta onliest one dat stays in touch wit'
Uncle Jessy.

I was tinkin' mebbe ya could contact da misserable ole bastige an get
some advise out to da newerest piglets at da wreck trough.

Uncle Jessy never had a good 'ting ta say 'bout nobody, which I always
found refreshing.

watson - uncle jessy fan.

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 21:37:22 -0600, Unisaw A100 wrote:
Unisaw A100 wrote:
Capitol Court.

This just in. St. Soozan informs me that the rumor is the
next Lowes is going in at a 124th. and Burleigh, where the
Briggs & Stratton plant *used* to be which puts them nearly
in Home Depot's front parking lot.

OK, _there_, I'll drive to, it's nominally on my way home from work.

Hell, I live out near Madison. _Everything_ is on my way home
from work from downtown Milwaukee.
Dave Hinz

Unisaw A100 wrote:

SNIP
buggered

SNIP
buggered

SNIP
unbuggered

SNIP
buggered...

Sompin' on yer mind there Uni a'hunnert?

It definitely seems so, but is it legal in his state?

Pretty sure, just don't drive drunk or the State's Attorney will
be all over you (snicker).

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:46:55 GMT, Unisaw A100 wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:
Um. OK, so I should take Smith _and_ Wesson with me I assume? Or has
that area improved in the last, say, 10 years?

Well, let me give you directions. Head east on Capitol and
make a left at Starbucks, in front of the new Pick 'N Save,
the other side of the new WalMart.

Sound like it may have improved to you?

Apparently so.

UA100, who finds Milwaukeeans funny when it comes to
"colored folk"...

I live in the country, but grew up in Tosa. 60th and Capitol wasn't
good 20 years ago, at least not on bike.

Dave Hinz

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:17:36 -0600, Swingman wrote:
"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

So you actually *see* clerks in HD? I see checkout people and every

once
in a while, if I turn my head quickly enough, I will see an orange apron
scurrying around the corner of an aisle (they must be shy and customers
scare them).

Ever notice all the various badges and pins on those orange aprons? Must be
based on seniority and experience ... the more badges, the better they are
at ignoring you, or scurrying away.

They're required to wear a certain number of "flair".

Dave "Spot the reference..." Hinz
Duane Bozarth

Dave Hinz wrote:

...Something just odd about nailing into concrete using gunpowder.

Can use them on steel columns/beams, too...
patrick conroy

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

It definitely seems so, but is it legal in his state?

Not if a Holstein's involved. Seems to screw up the milk production, if I
recollect.

patrick conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Dyslexic, too. He got it backwards.

He craves wummen and is afraid of deer?

patrick conroy

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

They're required to wear a certain number of "flair".

Dave "Spot the reference..." Hinz

Beat me to it...

15 is the minimum. We really want you to express yourself.
And, yes I have my trusty Swingline 747 right here under lock n' key.

Dave Hinz

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:46:14 GMT, patrick conroy wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

They're required to wear a certain number of "flair".

Dave "Spot the reference..." Hinz

Beat me to it...

15 is the minimum. We really want you to express yourself.
And, yes I have my trusty Swingline 747 right here under lock n' key.

I've got the model 346, myself. And, it's red. Binds up less than the
Boston.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

And, yes I have my trusty Swingline 747 right here under lock n' key.

I've got the model 346, myself. And, it's red. Binds up less than the
Boston.

Swingline 50 for me - had a couple of 'em for decades and another is
from my mom's desk from the '50s or '60s.'

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
Jeff P.

ROFLMAO! Oh man Keith, that's a good un.
--
Jeff P.

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog
can cure depression. The down side is, the minute
you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com