Leon

Well, the little rubber profiles work pretty well manually. I am not sure
what that thing with the cord on it is good for. ;~)

Leon

I'll add to the list. Although I no longer own one, any tool made by Wagner
fills the bill.

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

Thomas Kendrick

The Wagner "power painter" (AKA power dripper) that I bought in
partnership with another friend. After he completed his project, I got
to keep it. 90% paint on ground, 10% thrown at wall.
It was disassembled for cleaning, then finally thrown away.

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of
studs when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs.
I'm unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

Mekon

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

Black and Decker "Mouse" Detail Sander.

Mine gave up the ghost on it's first use. Damned if I could find the
receipt. so I was stuck with it. I used the cable to replace the one that my
electric planer ate.

Mekon

Larry Jaques

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:40:08 -0600, "Bob Schmall"
calmly ranted:

For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing
never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses,
tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

It's no doubt a 220v Whitworth model, Bob. Sell it on Ebay.uk

Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming

Old Nick

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:52:57 -0800, David vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Table saw.

Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

Old Nick

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 18:59:03 -0500, "TaskMule"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

Laser level

Interesting. What sort and why?
Robatoy

In article ,
"Bob Schmall" wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing
never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses,
tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Bob

Maybe it was designed for metric volts.

Robatoy

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I've used the thing to collect dust ever
sense.

I trust you keep it grounded.

Mike Patterson

On 11 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800, "Chuck" wrote:

I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Chuck

Not that I'd want to prevent you from buying a tool (even a bad tool
purchase is better than NO tool purchase)...

I just finished fixing 3 sticking doors using a cheap hand plane, no
sweat.

Also did one with a random-orbital sander, just to see how bad it
would be. Actually, I wish I'd used it for the other 3.

YMMV
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Mike Patterson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:49:39 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

Black and Decker "Mouse" Detail Sander.

Interesting, as I have one and have used the heck out of it on small
pieces that my 6" ROS would gouge or just plain couldn't reach.

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Edwin Pawlowski

"Thomas Kendrick" wrote in message
news:1105497028.a053889f8e48f02bead3acb7cd23e3bc@t eranews...
The Wagner "power painter" (AKA power dripper) that I bought in
partnership with another friend. After he completed his project, I got
to keep it. 90% paint on ground, 10% thrown at wall.
It was disassembled for cleaning, then finally thrown away.

Hey, I have one of them. Somewhere. Taken apart to clean, but never
reassembled. Never will be either. Yes, it is the top of my useless list
for sure.

Mike Patterson

Hey Kyle, I'd like to play with one if you want to get rid of it
cheap. Email me if you're interested.

Mike

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:01:44 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

I believe the rotozip is designed with one purpose in mind: Breaking the
little bits it uses. I broke all 3 or 4 of the bits that came with mine the
first time I tried to use it. I've used the thing to collect dust ever
sense.

"TaskMule" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical
boxes

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Mike Patterson

wrote:

|"David" wrote in message
| Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
| About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
| when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
| unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.
|
| What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?
|
| David
|
|For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing
|never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses,
|tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
|years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Maybe. The heavy-duty ones were. To meet current code, you need to
replace that old cord with a new four-wire one and a dedicated 30A
circuit.

I was given something similar, but it was an electric screwdriver.
Nice screwdriver... with a 120V cord coming out of the handle. Worked
okay on short screws, but longer ones caused the cord to twist so much
that you had to keep backing up toward the outlet as you drove the
screw. The other problem was that the handle was PVC and if you
turned it too fast, static charge built up on it and caused the
sawdust on the shop floor to explode. I glued on a piece of aluminum
foil and grounded it to a cold water pipe and that fixed that.

You can never be too careful around power tools.

Clap clap clap... nice one!

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin

max

Is that the Profile sander? I bought one with all of the rubber sanding
heads. Never used the tool, but used the sanding heads by hand. An expensive
set.
max

Mine is the PC detail sander, and I predict it will be the winner (or looser).

max

I once had a cabinet job that included two large units with a lot of surface
area. I wanted to apply polyurethane but hated brushing. I bought a Wagner
airless sprayer at Sears. Read the instructions (I think) and proceeded to
spray less than half a quart of the stuff on the work and the rest on me and
the ground. My hand also went to sleep holding it. I was pretty ****ed off.
I took it back to Sears and they gave me my money back.
max

A craftsman sheet sander (1972 vintage purchased new). It made so much
noise and sanded so poorly, I just put it away. I just ordered a PC
speedboc to make up for that mistake.

Bob

Joe Wells

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:23:26 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Thomas Kendrick" wrote in message
news:1105497028.a053889f8e48f02bead3acb7cd23e3bc@t eranews...
The Wagner "power painter" (AKA power dripper) that I bought in
partnership with another friend. After he completed his project, I got
to keep it. 90% paint on ground, 10% thrown at wall. It was disassembled
for cleaning, then finally thrown away.

Hey, I have one of them. Somewhere. Taken apart to clean, but never
reassembled. Never will be either. Yes, it is the top of my useless list
for sure.

My Wagner painter is the only tool that I've ever thrown away.

--
Joe Wells

David

I got one for a gift, Xmas of '03. If memory serves me well, it was the
only gift I returned. 'Twas a Bad & Decker. A silly little pin was
supposed to hold it on the wall--NOT! Now they use a silly suction cup;
not sure which is the worse idea.

David

TaskMule wrote:

Laser level

David

Mine tends to burn them (bits) rather than break them. A keyhole saw
makes a lot mess when cutting sheetrock, although with the vacuum
attachment, the RZ isn't quite the ungodly fine-dust generator it is by
itself.

David

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I believe the rotozip is designed with one purpose in mind: Breaking the
little bits it uses. I broke all 3 or 4 of the bits that came with mine the
first time I tried to use it. I've used the thing to collect dust ever
sense.

"TaskMule" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
groups.com...

Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical
boxes

David

I'll second that emotion, Leon. My Wagner is up in the attic out of
reach of anyone wishing to use a decent sprayer.

David

Leon wrote:

I'll add to the list. Although I no longer own one, any tool made by Wagner
fills the bill.

toller

I'll add to the list. Although I no longer own one, any tool made by
Wagner
fills the bill.

I only used mine twice, but it did a pretty good job with transparent stain.

Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:15:54 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Re PC detail sander utility: [context is helpful, not all postings to a
thread appear in order on all servers]

Well, the little rubber profiles work pretty well manually. I am not sure
what that thing with the cord on it is good for. ;~)

I found it to be a great source of wrist stress, and the vibration was
very good at making my hand go numb. As far as for woodworking, i'ts
probably not useful for much.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:45:18 -0500, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

A few years ago a friend gifted me with a Sears Craftsman detail sander, a
dinky little motorized tool that resembles my old Norelco triple-head shaver
except with three little sandpaper pads, each about the size of a quarter,
instead of the "rotary blades" the razor was equipped with. What a POS. I
think the shaver had more horsepower, and I know it was more useful. In
addition to having less torque than your average electric pencil sharpener,
this "tool" was rendered even more worthless because one or more of the
cheesy plastic pads upon which the sanding disks were mounted constantly
popped off during use.

Lee

OK, that pretty much has got to be the winner.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:34:04 -0600, Thomas Kendrick
wrote:

The Wagner "power painter" (AKA power dripper) that I bought in
partnership with another friend. After he completed his project, I got
to keep it. 90% paint on ground, 10% thrown at wall.

You forgot to include the fact that of that 10% thrown on the wall, 90%
of it went into one place and formed a huge drip

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of
studs when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs.
I'm unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:43:48 -0800, David wrote:

I'll second that emotion, Leon. My Wagner is up in the attic out of
reach of anyone wishing to use a decent sprayer.

David

That raises an interesting question, why do we continue to hang on to
tools that we have proven to ourselves to be useless? Moreover, sometimes
even to the extent of angering ourselves everytime we think we have figured
out how to use them for something, only to screw a project up and realize
that the tool really *is* useless?

I know I'm certainly guilty of this, I still have the PC detail sander
even though I have not really been able to make it work all that well
(several years ago I would have said otherwise, but have later found much
better ways to get things done). I did get rid of the Sears vibrator that
was mislabeled a pad sander, the Sears jigsaw that attempted to use
decibels to scream wood apart while vibrating a blade against said wood,
and a useless Wagner PowerPainter, so I think I'm learning that keeping
useless stuff around is wasteful of space as well as the few $ that they
might bring at a garage sale.

Leon wrote:

I'll add to the list. Although I no longer own one, any tool made by Wagner
fills the bill.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Patriarch

Joe Wells wrote in
news
snip

My Wagner painter is the only tool that I've ever thrown away.

A good clearing out is theraputic. Chucking useless crap that clogs the
shop also makes place in our shops for new, even more useless crap.

And the dumpster divers and rust hunters amongst us have something about
which to gloat.

Patriarch,
who hauled three large boxes of offcuts up to the country place this
weekend, and enjoyed the fire...
Lee Gordon

For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That
thing never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the
fuses,
tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

You can convert this to a cordless model. Lee Valley sells the conversion
kit:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...ren cy=2&SID=

Lee

Silvan

Mark & Juanita wrote:

was mislabeled a pad sander, the Sears jigsaw that attempted to use
decibels to scream wood apart while vibrating a blade against said wood,

I think I traded mine to JOAT for a corner clamp. LOL!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Rob Gray wrote:

All of my older plug-in electric drills. Ever since the rechargeable
ones have become decent the old plug in ones are a pain and not worth
the trouble....

Hah. The rechargeable ones are a lot more decent than they used to be, but
a tailed drill will run as long as civilization holds out, *and* it will
wrap about 2' of chain link fence around a bulb augur. Try that with a
cordless.

(Neighbor didn't notice the interesting job I did re-weaving his fence.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
POP_Server=pop.clara.net

"David" wrote

: Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
: About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
: when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
: unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

A fairly recent issue of Fine Woodworking showed its use in rough-preparing
a large sawn hardwood board.

The author did the obvious. He reshaped the cutters to a slightly convex
profie as one should do with a hand plane.

I'm at a loss to understand why the manufacturers don't offer this option -
they must have considered it.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email: username is amgron

Old Nick

On 11 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800, "Chuck" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

They are probably expected to do stuff they are not really meant for.
They take off a lot of wood, and it's easy to get it wrong really
fast. They are good for taking off lots of wood.

I have one and hardly use it. I used it for shaping the chines etc on
a boat to take the skin, using a jig. That was one good use.

Oh. And never put your fingers underneath to clear the swarf while you
are working....

I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Chuck

Old Nick

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:35:19 GMT, max vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I once had a cabinet job that included two large units with a lot of surface
area. I wanted to apply polyurethane but hated brushing. I bought a Wagner
airless sprayer at Sears. Read the instructions (I think) and proceeded to
spray less than half a quart of the stuff on the work and the rest on me and
the ground. My hand also went to sleep holding it. I was pretty ****ed off.
I took it back to Sears and they gave me my money back.

Lucky SOB. I kept trying mine for years and ended up running over with
a Front End Loader. That was the best I ever had from it.
Keith

My most useless (or, the least used of anything I ever bought) would have to
be the PC profile sander. I bought the accessories too so now I have more
than just the profile sander just sitting there.

My wife says anything not used for at least two years is useless and should
be thrown out. But, next week I might need it - right :O)

Pack Rat

Robatoy

In article .com,
"Bob" wrote:

A craftsman sheet sander (1972 vintage purchased new). It made so much
noise and sanded so poorly, I just put it away. I just ordered a PC
speedboc to make up for that mistake.

Bob

Yup.. know it well. Still a source for much laughter during 'What NOT to
buy' seminars.
The paper stays stationary whilst the sander body vibrates like a
sunnvabitch till your hand swells up.
Narry a scuff upon thyne work surface.

A TRUE contender for The Hall Of Crap, but too hilarious to throw out.

*chuckling at the thought*

Rob

Underground wiring questions... guest987 Home Repair 52 February 2nd 05 01:52 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Last "consumer" power tool plant moves to China John Normile Metalworking 0 December 1st 04 08:31 PM
Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool Ken Vaughn Woodturning 23 June 8th 04 04:13 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM