DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Most useless power tool you own? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/85748-most-useless-power-tool-you-own.html)

David January 11th 05 04:52 PM

Most useless power tool you own?

Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

toller January 11th 05 05:48 PM

Naw, my power plane is great. Of course, I only paid $3 for it at a garage
sale. If I paid $75, it would be close to the top of the list.

David January 11th 05 05:49 PM

I found a lot of chatter about Dremel; was that the thread you are
referring to? Sidenote: you can't search Google Groups for any date in
2005 unless you search all dates. Google's aware of the problem and as
of late last night are still working to fix it. (Or so they promised me)

David

David January 11th 05 05:50 PM

Good point. I think I've gotten about three dollars usage from that
sucker. :) Don't remember what it cost, but it was not a bargain for me.

David

Chuck January 11th 05 06:48 PM

I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Chuck

[email protected] January 11th 05 06:53 PM

David wrote:
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand

plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of

studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm

unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

You guys ever watch "BIG" on the Discovery Channel? They built a BIG
electric guitar, 9x the size and used a 12" power planer at one point.

Ray January 11th 05 07:07 PM

Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

ToolMiser January 11th 05 07:59 PM

Mine is the PC detail sander, and I predict it will be the winner (or looser).

J T January 11th 05 08:00 PM

Tue, Jan 11, 2005, 8:52am (EST-3) (David) claims:
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.
What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

Then make me a deal, and I'll take it off your hands, so you don't
have the stress anymore. I could definitely use it.

I'd say depends. I thought about it, and I'd say maybe my detail
sander. Yes, it works fine, but the projects I'm doing, and any planned
on for some time, don't call for it's use. I do have some other tools
I'm not using either, but as I do plan on using them in the not too
distant future, I don't term them "useless".

I don't regret ANY power tool I've bought, and would never even
think of regretting any I was given.

JOAT
Success is getting what you want.
Happiness is wanting what you get.
- =A0Dale Carnegie

Dave Hinz January 11th 05 08:04 PM

On 11 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800, Chuck wrote:
I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Are you anywhere near Milwaukee or Madison? I'll give you a hell of
a deal.

the_tool_man January 11th 05 08:40 PM

Hi David:

Someone gave me a Ryobi detail sander about 5 years ago. I've used it
once.

Regards,
John.

Lee Gordon January 11th 05 08:45 PM

A few years ago a friend gifted me with a Sears Craftsman detail sander, a
dinky little motorized tool that resembles my old Norelco triple-head shaver
except with three little sandpaper pads, each about the size of a quarter,
instead of the "rotary blades" the razor was equipped with. What a POS. I
think the shaver had more horsepower, and I know it was more useful. In
addition to having less torque than your average electric pencil sharpener,
this "tool" was rendered even more worthless because one or more of the
cheesy plastic pads upon which the sanding disks were mounted constantly
popped off during use.

Lee

Eric Anderson January 11th 05 09:13 PM

I have one of the planers. I hear this all the time, and I use mine for all
kinds of things. There was an article in FWW, PWW or one of the magazines a
couple of issues ago that discussed flattening a large board. I was doing a
large top to a dresser and was using hand planes. This article used the
electric hand planer to take down high areas. I tried it and I admit, it
worked very well. You can finesse it well (just like a belt sander) if you
are careful. After the large areas are done, go back to the hand planes.
Can't say that any of my tools are useless (except maybe the drill sharpener
that I got at Homier). I haven't used my old right angle drill adapter more
than once in 30 years (except about 3 wks ago) or my Fein or Sears detail
sanders, but once in a while they have some uses, especially the Fein. When
it does get used, nothing would do the job better. Dremmel tools are not
used much, but they are the only solution at times. I don't use my wood
lath much anymore since I have not built early american furniture in about
25 years, but I would not want to be without it.

toller January 11th 05 09:15 PM

Beyond any doubt. Worst tool ever made by a reputable company.

Dave Hinz January 11th 05 09:23 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:15:30 GMT, toller wrote:
Beyond any doubt. Worst tool ever made by a reputable company.

What, a newsreader that posts without including any context, you mean?

TaskMule January 11th 05 09:26 PM

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical
boxes

David January 11th 05 09:31 PM

Lee, I had to laugh when reading your post because I looked over that
very sander at Sears one day. I think each pad had about twelve flecks
of grit apiece; they should last all of maybe 2 minutes? Rubbing a
well-calloused finger over the workpiece might be more effective.

David

mac davis January 11th 05 09:49 PM

Leon wrote:

I think a google search of a few weeks ago will reveal the answers to this
same question.

I think it was the "FESS UP" one??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

patrick conroy January 11th 05 10:49 PM

"David" wrote in message

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

Black and Decker "Mouse" Detail Sander.

Bill January 11th 05 11:00 PM

gets my vote

Bob January 11th 05 11:37 PM

A craftsman sheet sander (1972 vintage purchased new). It made so much
noise and sanded so poorly, I just put it away. I just ordered a PC
speedboc to make up for that mistake.

Bob

Bob Schmall January 11th 05 11:40 PM

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing
never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses,
tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Bob

Tom Watson January 12th 05 12:55 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:40:08 -0600, "Bob Schmall"
wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing
never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses,
tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Bob

Bob:

It's a Polish Power Hammer.

You ain't never gonna be able to use it, cause you're German.

Pawlowski prolly has the manual.

(watson - who already knows that the Poles invented whiskey so the
Irish wouldn't take over the world - so don't bother)

{don't tell me them Pollaks ain't smart - I married one - er...wait a
minute}

watson - who just checked with his own personal Pollak and she says
that she knows a lot of Pollak jokes - but only one Irish one - and
she married it - ...sigh

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

Kyle Boatright January 12th 05 01:01 AM

I believe the rotozip is designed with one purpose in mind: Breaking the
little bits it uses. I broke all 3 or 4 of the bits that came with mine the
first time I tried to use it. I've used the thing to collect dust ever
sense.

Kimchee January 12th 05 01:04 AM

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

Many years ago the Sears mail order house was the only game in town for
power tools.

First purchased was a Craftsman 3/8 power drill. Chuck broke on first use.
Mail ordered and paid for (too young and didn't know any better then)
another Craftsman chuck replacement and also broke on first use.

Craftsman RAS collecting dust in garage, used perhaps 10 times and motor
bearing went out - replaced by chop and table saw.

Craftsman belt sander - belt wonders all over the place, what a POS.

Tom Watson January 12th 05 01:13 AM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:10:43 GMT, Joe_Stein
wrote:

220v & 3 phase
Joe

Iz dat one a dem zen koan things?

Bob January 12th 05 01:19 AM

I think that was a general thread. This one is limited to power tools.

dgadams January 12th 05 01:34 AM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:52:57 -0800, David wrote:

Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

Benchtop tools. I had a bench band saw and a bench table saw. Both under
powered and a poor match for my long term needs.

dga

Rob Gray January 12th 05 01:35 AM

Australopithecus scobis wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:40:08 -0600, Bob Schmall wrote:

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

X-acto rotary tool. Came out when Dremel was just hitting the market.
Has a 1/16" collet with runout of 1/8"...

All of my older plug-in electric drills. Ever since the rechargeable
ones have become decent the old plug in ones are a pain and not worth
the trouble....

Wes Stewart January 12th 05 01:36 AM

wrote:

|"David" wrote in message
| Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
| About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
| when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
| unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.
|
| What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?
|
| David
|
|For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing
|never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses,
|tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
|years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Maybe. The heavy-duty ones were. To meet current code, you need to
replace that old cord with a new four-wire one and a dedicated 30A
circuit.

I was given something similar, but it was an electric screwdriver.
Nice screwdriver... with a 120V cord coming out of the handle. Worked
okay on short screws, but longer ones caused the cord to twist so much
that you had to keep backing up toward the outlet as you drove the
screw. The other problem was that the handle was PVC and if you
turned it too fast, static charge built up on it and caused the
sawdust on the shop floor to explode. I glued on a piece of aluminum
foil and grounded it to a cold water pipe and that fixed that.

You can never be too careful around power tools.

[email protected] January 12th 05 01:37 AM

wrote:

"David" wrote in message
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

For my 40th birthday a friend gave me a hammer with a power cord. That thing
never did work right. In fact, it never ran at all. I changed the fuses,
tried grounded outlets, everything. It's been sitting there for more than 20
years now. Do you think it might be 220v?

Bob

Jeez! Everyone knows electric hammers are three-phase. You've probably
blown the start capacitor tinkering with it.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.

O D January 12th 05 01:41 AM

Has to be the PC 4X24 belt sander.
Nice tool , good power, works good if you can handle it. Need arms like
gorilla to work with it.

Leon January 12th 05 02:14 AM

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:15:30 GMT, toller wrote:
Beyond any doubt. Worst tool ever made by a reputable company.

What, a newsreader that posts without including any context, you mean?

You did not see the text? Maybe you should get a new news reader.