David

Default Most useless power tool you own?

Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

David

I found a lot of chatter about Dremel; was that the thread you are
referring to? Sidenote: you can't search Google Groups for any date in
2005 unless you search all dates. Google's aware of the problem and as
of late last night are still working to fix it. (Or so they promised me)

David

"David" wrote in message

Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm
unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

David

mac davis

Leon wrote:

I think a google search of a few weeks ago will reveal the answers to this
same question.

I think it was the "FESS UP" one??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Bob

I think that was a general thread. This one is limited to power tools.

toller

Naw, my power plane is great. Of course, I only paid $3 for it at a garage
sale. If I paid $75, it would be close to the top of the list.

David

Good point. I think I've gotten about three dollars usage from that
sucker. Don't remember what it cost, but it was not a bargain for me.

David

toller wrote:

Naw, my power plane is great. Of course, I only paid $3 for it at a garage
sale. If I paid $75, it would be close to the top of the list.

Chuck

I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Chuck

Dave Hinz

On 11 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800, Chuck wrote:
I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Are you anywhere near Milwaukee or Madison? I'll give you a hell of
a deal.

Eric Anderson

I have one of the planers. I hear this all the time, and I use mine for all
kinds of things. There was an article in FWW, PWW or one of the magazines a
couple of issues ago that discussed flattening a large board. I was doing a
large top to a dresser and was using hand planes. This article used the
electric hand planer to take down high areas. I tried it and I admit, it
worked very well. You can finesse it well (just like a belt sander) if you
are careful. After the large areas are done, go back to the hand planes.
Can't say that any of my tools are useless (except maybe the drill sharpener
that I got at Homier). I haven't used my old right angle drill adapter more
than once in 30 years (except about 3 wks ago) or my Fein or Sears detail
sanders, but once in a while they have some uses, especially the Fein. When
it does get used, nothing would do the job better. Dremmel tools are not
used much, but they are the only solution at times. I don't use my wood
lath much anymore since I have not built early american furniture in about
25 years, but I would not want to be without it.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 11 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800, Chuck wrote:
I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Are you anywhere near Milwaukee or Madison? I'll give you a hell of
a deal.

Mike Patterson

On 11 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800, "Chuck" wrote:

I was just thinking about buying one of these to shave down some
sticking doors. What's so bad about them?

Chuck

Not that I'd want to prevent you from buying a tool (even a bad tool
purchase is better than NO tool purchase)...

I just finished fixing 3 sticking doors using a cheap hand plane, no
sweat.

Also did one with a random-orbital sander, just to see how bad it
would be. Actually, I wish I'd used it for the other 3.

YMMV
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:15:52 -0500, Mike Patterson wrote:

Not that I'd want to prevent you from buying a tool (even a bad tool
purchase is better than NO tool purchase)...

I'm not sure about that, Mike. Cheap/bad tools are their own punishment.
Old Nick

On 11 Jan 2005 10:48:43 -0800, "Chuck" vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

They are probably expected to do stuff they are not really meant for.
They take off a lot of wood, and it's easy to get it wrong really
fast. They are good for taking off lots of wood.

I have one and hardly use it. I used it for shaping the chines etc on
a boat to take the skin, using a jig. That was one good use.

Oh. And never put your fingers underneath to clear the swarf while you
are working....

David wrote:
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand

plane.
About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of

studs
when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm

unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.

You guys ever watch "BIG" on the Discovery Channel? They built a BIG
electric guitar, 9x the size and used a 12" power planer at one point.

Ray

Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

TaskMule

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical
boxes

Kyle Boatright

I believe the rotozip is designed with one purpose in mind: Breaking the
little bits it uses. I broke all 3 or 4 of the bits that came with mine the
first time I tried to use it. I've used the thing to collect dust ever
sense.

"TaskMule" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical
boxes

Mike Patterson

Hey Kyle, I'd like to play with one if you want to get rid of it
cheap. Email me if you're interested.

Mike

"TaskMule" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical
boxes

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:24:38 -0500, Mike Patterson wrote:
Hey Kyle, I'd like to play with one if you want to get rid of it
cheap. Email me if you're interested.

If he doesn't, then you can email me, Mike. It needs some work, I'm
told by a friend here that it's a fan inside that's squealing.

Dave
Robatoy

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

I've used the thing to collect dust ever
sense.

I trust you keep it grounded.
David

Mine tends to burn them (bits) rather than break them. A keyhole saw
makes a lot mess when cutting sheetrock, although with the vacuum
attachment, the RZ isn't quite the ungodly fine-dust generator it is by
itself.

David

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I believe the rotozip is designed with one purpose in mind: Breaking the
little bits it uses. I broke all 3 or 4 of the bits that came with mine the
first time I tried to use it. I've used the thing to collect dust ever
sense.

"TaskMule" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
groups.com...

Rotozip.

Cuts holes for outlet boxes in drywall, but only if you use metal
boxes. Other than that I haven't found anything useful for this thing
to do.

And destroys the vapour barrier you've carefully sealed around electrical
boxes

ToolMiser

Mine is the PC detail sander, and I predict it will be the winner (or looser).

toller

Beyond any doubt. Worst tool ever made by a reputable company.

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:15:30 GMT, toller wrote:
Beyond any doubt. Worst tool ever made by a reputable company.

What, a newsreader that posts without including any context, you mean?
Leon

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:15:30 GMT, toller wrote:
Beyond any doubt. Worst tool ever made by a reputable company.

What, a newsreader that posts without including any context, you mean?

You did not see the text? Maybe you should get a new news reader.

Leon

Well, the little rubber profiles work pretty well manually. I am not sure
what that thing with the cord on it is good for. ;~)

Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 02:15:54 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Re PC detail sander utility: [context is helpful, not all postings to a
thread appear in order on all servers]

Well, the little rubber profiles work pretty well manually. I am not sure
what that thing with the cord on it is good for. ;~)

I found it to be a great source of wrist stress, and the vibration was
very good at making my hand go numb. As far as for woodworking, i'ts
probably not useful for much.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Bill

gets my vote

"ToolMiser" wrote in message
Mine is the PC detail sander, and I predict it will be the winner (or

looser).

max

Is that the Profile sander? I bought one with all of the rubber sanding
heads. Never used the tool, but used the sanding heads by hand. An expensive
set.
max

Mine is the PC detail sander, and I predict it will be the winner (or looser).

the_tool_man

Hi David:

Someone gave me a Ryobi detail sander about 5 years ago. I've used it
once.

Regards,
John.

Lee Gordon

A few years ago a friend gifted me with a Sears Craftsman detail sander, a
dinky little motorized tool that resembles my old Norelco triple-head shaver
except with three little sandpaper pads, each about the size of a quarter,
instead of the "rotary blades" the razor was equipped with. What a POS. I
think the shaver had more horsepower, and I know it was more useful. In
addition to having less torque than your average electric pencil sharpener,
this "tool" was rendered even more worthless because one or more of the
cheesy plastic pads upon which the sanding disks were mounted constantly
popped off during use.

Lee

David

Lee, I had to laugh when reading your post because I looked over that
very sander at Sears one day. I think each pad had about twelve flecks
of grit apiece; they should last all of maybe 2 minutes? Rubbing a
well-calloused finger over the workpiece might be more effective.

David

Lee Gordon wrote:

A few years ago a friend gifted me with a Sears Craftsman detail sander, a
dinky little motorized tool that resembles my old Norelco triple-head shaver
except with three little sandpaper pads, each about the size of a quarter,
instead of the "rotary blades" the razor was equipped with. What a POS. I
think the shaver had more horsepower, and I know it was more useful. In
addition to having less torque than your average electric pencil sharpener,
this "tool" was rendered even more worthless because one or more of the
cheesy plastic pads upon which the sanding disks were mounted constantly
popped off during use.

Lee

Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:45:18 -0500, "Lee Gordon"
wrote:

A few years ago a friend gifted me with a Sears Craftsman detail sander, a
dinky little motorized tool that resembles my old Norelco triple-head shaver
except with three little sandpaper pads, each about the size of a quarter,
instead of the "rotary blades" the razor was equipped with. What a POS. I
think the shaver had more horsepower, and I know it was more useful. In
addition to having less torque than your average electric pencil sharpener,
this "tool" was rendered even more worthless because one or more of the
cheesy plastic pads upon which the sanding disks were mounted constantly
popped off during use.

Lee

OK, that pretty much has got to be the winner.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

patrick conroy

"David" wrote in message

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

Black and Decker "Mouse" Detail Sander.

Mekon

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message

What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?

Black and Decker "Mouse" Detail Sander.

Mine gave up the ghost on it's first use. Damned if I could find the
receipt. so I was stuck with it. I used the cable to replace the one that my
electric planer ate.

Mekon

Underground wiring questions... guest987 Home Repair 52 February 2nd 05 01:52 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Last "consumer" power tool plant moves to China John Normile Metalworking 0 December 1st 04 08:31 PM
Anyone Used Sorby Texture and Spiraling Tool Ken Vaughn Woodturning 23 June 8th 04 04:13 AM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM