Default Woodworking Books

I am an ever learning woodworker and was wondering if you older peeps
could recomend some books that have proved worth the read. I purchased
a Router resource and was amazed at how much it propelled my knowledge
of the tool forward.
Specifically really good books on sharpening, jigs, work flow, etc.

Dave Balderstone

In article .com,
wrote:

I am an ever learning woodworker and was wondering if you older peeps
could recomend some books that have proved worth the read. I purchased
a Router resource and was amazed at how much it propelled my knowledge
of the tool forward.
Specifically really good books on sharpening, jigs, work flow, etc.

Just hit the library and see what's in their catalog...
Joe Wells

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:48:36 -0800, megold.andrew wrote:

I am an ever learning woodworker and was wondering if you older peeps
could recomend some books that have proved worth the read. I purchased a
Router resource and was amazed at how much it propelled my knowledge of
the tool forward.
Specifically really good books on sharpening, jigs, work flow, etc.

The Feb '05 (current) Fine WoodWorking has "27 books every woodworker
should read". Should be a good place to start.

--
Joe Wells

Unisaw A100

Look for books or videos by,

Jim Tolpin
Sandor Nagyszalanczy
Lonnie Bird
Tage Frid
Frank Klausz
Pat Warner
Bob Flexner
Sam Maloof
Bill Hylton
Kelly Mehler
Mark Duginske
Jeff Jewitt
Ernie Conover
George Nakashima
Curtis Erpelding
John White
James Krenov
Garrett Hack
Leonard Lee
Mario Rodriguez
Charlie Self
Scott Landis
Michael Dresdner

and others.

The list above are some of my favorites. Others can add to
it with names missed.

Specifically really good books on sharpening, jigs, work flow, etc.

Work flow? Raw wood comes in the door, gets worked up and
something nice goes out the door. That's all you need to
know about work flow.

UA100
Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:52:22 -0600, Unisaw A100 wrote:

Look for books or videos by,

Jim Tolpin
Sandor Nagyszalanczy
Lonnie Bird
Tage Frid
Frank Klausz
Pat Warner
Bob Flexner
Sam Maloof
Bill Hylton
Kelly Mehler
Mark Duginske
Jeff Jewitt
Ernie Conover
George Nakashima
Curtis Erpelding
John White
James Krenov
Garrett Hack
Leonard Lee
Mario Rodriguez
Charlie Self
Scott Landis
Michael Dresdner

John Feirer
Ian Kirby
Doug Stowe
Patrick Spielman
Nick Engler
Percy Blandford
Roy Moungovan
William Wheeler
Charles Hayward

Jay Pique

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Specifically really good books on sharpening, jigs, work flow, etc.

Work flow? Raw wood comes in the door, gets worked up and
something nice goes out the door. That's all you need to
know about work flow.

Not if you want to make money.

JP
Unisaw A100

Jay Pique wrote:
Not if you want to make money.

Everyone should feel free to knock themselves out with their
flow charts and three dimensional shop layouts. Me? I'm
still living in the world where the rec. in rec.woodworking
means recreational so I won't be bunching up my panties and
puckering up my sphincter over the fact that my radial arm
saw is against the far wall of the shop (where it fits best)
and you have to go past the jointer (between the door and
the radial arm saw/where it fits best) to get to it. Oh,
and at the risk of everyone breaking out in hives, I have my
other machines scattered all about the shop (where they fit
best) with no regard for work flow.

UA100, who, in case the above comments weren't clear, thinks
fretting over work flow in a hobbyist shop is about the
silliest thing anyone could ever waste their time on...
Doug Winterburn

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:52:15 -0600, Unisaw A100 wrote:

UA100, who, in case the above comments weren't clear, thinks fretting over
work flow in a hobbyist shop is about the silliest thing anyone could ever
waste their time on...

Well, I have to plan my work flow! First, the car & pick-me-up truck have
to flow outa the shop. Then, I have to cut whatever tool I need to use
from the tightly packed herd and roll it out into the enormous void left
by flowing the cars/trucks into the driveway. When I'm done making a mess
and before nightfall, all these critters have to flow back to their
respective spots so the HOA busybody won't think I'm leaving my vehicles
in the driveway and participating in some verboten activity in my garage.

So, yeah - there's a lot of "flow" involved in my "rec".

- Doug

Norman D. Crow

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:52:15 -0600, Unisaw A100 wrote:

UA100, who, in case the above comments weren't clear, thinks fretting

over
work flow in a hobbyist shop is about the silliest thing anyone could

ever
waste their time on...

Well, I have to plan my work flow! First, the car & pick-me-up truck have
to flow outa the shop. Then, I have to cut whatever tool I need to use
from the tightly packed herd and roll it out into the enormous void left
by flowing the cars/trucks into the driveway. When I'm done making a mess
and before nightfall, all these critters have to flow back to their
respective spots so the HOA busybody won't think I'm leaving my vehicles
in the driveway and participating in some verboten activity in my garage.

HOA?

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

Mark Jerde

Norman D. Crow wrote:
"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:52:15 -0600, Unisaw A100 wrote:

UA100, who, in case the above comments weren't clear, thinks
fretting over work flow in a hobbyist shop is about the silliest
thing anyone could ever waste their time on...

Well, I have to plan my work flow! First, the car & pick-me-up
truck have to flow outa the shop. Then, I have to cut whatever tool
I need to use from the tightly packed herd and roll it out into the
enormous void left by flowing the cars/trucks into the driveway.
When I'm done making a mess and before nightfall, all these critters
have to flow back to their respective spots so the HOA busybody
won't think I'm leaving my vehicles in the driveway and
participating in some verboten activity in my garage.

HOA?

I'm guessing Home Owners' Association.

-- Mark

Unisaw A100

Doug Winterburn wrote:
snippage...

Hey! Ya wanna live with the Nazis, that's your choice.

UA100
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 11:22:59 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

[...]

Home-Owners'-Association. Also known as "old people with nothing better
to do with their time than walk around and report violations". And
eeeviiillll violations they are, things like parking cars on the street
without a party permit, leaving one's garbage cans on the curb past
sundown, or [gasp] worse, leaving them on the side of the garage where
someone can see them. Oh, and I almost forgot, leaving one's garage door
open longer than required to park the car inside and get the groceries into
the house.

No, I don't live in a neigborhood with an HOA (deliberately bought where
there wasn't one); some of our best friends do. The stories they tell are
amazing (and people are concerned about the federal government being
fascist? Some of these rules make fascism seem downright civilized).

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

Ba r r y

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:57:14 GMT, "Mark Jerde"
wrote:

I'm guessing Home Owners' Association.

I feel for those of you who have to deal with them.

Barry

Silvan

Mark & Juanita wrote:

No, I don't live in a neigborhood with an HOA (deliberately bought where
there wasn't one); some of our best friends do. The stories they tell are
amazing (and people are concerned about the federal government being
fascist? Some of these rules make fascism seem downright civilized).

Me too and me neither. Or me neither and me too. It was really hard to
find a place that didn't involve one of those abominations, but I did.
Fascist *******s can all kiss my lily white ass. It really makes me wonder
what country this is anyway when a bunch of nosy pricks with nothing better
to do than measure your grass can force you to move out of a house you OWN.

Although sometimes the fascist *******s are the town/city council. Some
localities have grass laws and stuff. This one has some new trash can
thing. They've put out a thing about garbage cans being taken in by 5:00
or something like that.

Well, I got news for you people. I don't have any better place to put my
outdoor trashcan than out by the curb, so that's where it stays. I'm kinda
looking forward to someone saying something to me about it. I'm going to
buy a bunch of trashcans and put them across the front of my property with
rocks in them, and then tell the fascist *******s it's my new fence. Then
I'll let the grass get 48" high and put a few Firebirds and Camaros up on
blocks in the weeds. Oh, and paint my house purple, with a mailbox that's
every bit of 6" too high, and the wrong color.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Rick

"Silvan" wrote in message
=============snip================
Then
I'll let the grass get 48" high and put a few Firebirds and Camaros up on
blocks in the weeds. Oh, and paint my house purple, with a mailbox that's
every bit of 6" too high, and the wrong color.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

For more fun, reseed with "Meadow In A Can", a mixture of wildflowers (some
call 'em weeds) and declare your yard a wildlife sanctuary! The
bunny-hugging, HOA version of a cat with buttered toast on it's back dropped
out a window ... perpetual motion!

Rick

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 19:30:34 -0500, Jay Pique
wrote:

Not if you want to make money.

Work flow gets pretty damn simple if there's only one of you in the
workshop.

(and yes, I've designed stuff for car production lines too)