news.verizon.net

Default Woodworking Books

Hi, all.

Just to get this out of the way up front, I did a google search. (lol)

I figured that since I was a newbie, and since this topic doesn't seem to
have been covered very well here since 1999 or so (which surprises me, given
everyone's enthusiasm about recommending posters to read, read, read), I
figured I'd be the sacrificial lamb to ask: What top 10 woodworking books
would you recommend? So far as I can see, "Understanding Wood" (by R. Bruce
Hoadley), and "Understanding Wood Finishing" (by Bob Flexner) are both
widely recommended.

I was wondering what other books you all would recommend. For example, is
"Woodworker's Hand Tools" (by Rick Peters) a good pick? I was also planning
on buying at least one good book each on making jigs, woodworking (general),
band saws, table saws, joinery, & routers (although I hear that Pat warners
book is limited to individual routers rather than technique-- even though I
love his website). Do you think these types of books would give a good
background, or do you feel there is more essential reading material I should
consider first?

And, yes, I have a library card. I have been reading quite a bit, actually,
and am simply asking to see what people consider to be essential to a
library. (Also, yes, I am looking into taking a local class in
woodworking. -- Did I steal too many people's thunder? lol.)

So, top 10, anyone??

-Barry

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:09:08 GMT, "Groggy"
pixelated:

Larry,

having problems with my network router so the site has down-syndrome. It
should be back next week, if DLink can get their act together, they've had
it a week already.

Suckage.

There is an alternate site that has the info at

http://www.wood-workers.com/users/gregmillen/

This is somewhat emasculated due to space restrictions but it does have the
reference books, see the menu on the left.

Thanks. I'll bookmark it, and let's hope bkeane sees it.

- - -
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming for YOU!
John Grossbohlin

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message
Hi, all.

Just to get this out of the way up front, I did a google search. (lol)

I figured that since I was a newbie, and since this topic doesn't seem to
have been covered very well here since 1999 or so (which surprises me,

given
everyone's enthusiasm about recommending posters to read, read, read), I
figured I'd be the sacrificial lamb to ask: What top 10 woodworking books
would you recommend? So far as I can see, "Understanding Wood" (by R.

Bruce
Hoadley), and "Understanding Wood Finishing" (by Bob Flexner) are both
widely recommended.

I was wondering what other books you all would recommend. For example, is

I've taken a different track here... Instead of looking for definitive
works, typically written by a single author, I've gone the route of buying
pretty much everything I can find from remainder vendors. I'm looking for
variance across writers in techniques and ideas. From the multitude of works
I pick and choose what works for me given my current task and the tools I
either have or can buy at that moment.

The result of this approach is that over the past four years or so I've
added 150+ books to my shelves. The remainder vendors sell cheap so the
dollars involved here are not too bad... and there is always at least one
useful item in a book no matter how good it is overall. If nothing else,
some books are useful as a way to identify other works that may be
better--particularly the more scholarly books that have citations. As an
example, I paid about $7-8 for the 2nd Edition of Hoadley's book in hard
cover whereas Amazon gets $28.

John

Eric Lund

[...]

A hard question to answer, because it depends on what you like to make and
what style you prefer. Tage Frid teaches Woodworking is always highly
recommended. If you are particularly interested in hand tools, then both
Garrett Hack's and Graham Blackburn's books are good. David Charlesworth is
a very practical British author. There really are so many. Just to add
names: Doug Stowe, Andy Rae, Ian Kirby, Kelly Mehler, James Krenov, Toshio
Odate, Scott Landis and many more. I really don't know if I could narrow it
down to 10 books. Some of these authors, you really couldn't go wrong with
3 or more of their books.

Cheers,
Eric

OT=Sea Changes in the Media Gunner Metalworking 47 November 20th 03 01:27 PM
Is there a FAQ? Neil Woods Woodworking 4 August 21st 03 05:46 PM
SF Bay Area Woodworking Open House Jeff Woodworking 1 August 3rd 03 12:10 AM
FS: Woodworking books (UK) Andrew Woodworking 0 July 15th 03 06:42 PM
Check your woodworking library spearfox Woodworking 7 July 15th 03 07:41 AM