spearfox

Default Check your woodworking library

I became interested in woodworking author R.J. Cristoforo. I noticed that he
has several books over the years covering lots of subjects. Some of the
books are no longer available. My local library does not have any of his
books. I was thinking of asking the local library to purchase some of his
books.

My questions to the group a
Is this author a worthwhile "read"?
Could anyone recommend certain books by him?

My main interest were some of his books pertaining to jigs and fixtures, but
while researching his name I found he is involved in tools, toys,
housebuilding and a wide assortment of wood related subjects.

P.S. The family went to the R-us toy store this weekend. The kids tried to
load the basket with books and had to be pried away from the area. The books
were science, reference and learning type books. It was a little freaky but
made me proud.

Ernie Jurick

"spearfox" wrote in message
I became interested in woodworking author R.J. Cristoforo. I noticed that

he
has several books over the years covering lots of subjects. Some of the
books are no longer available. My local library does not have any of his
books. I was thinking of asking the local library to purchase some of his
books.

My questions to the group a
Is this author a worthwhile "read"?
Could anyone recommend certain books by him?

It's De Cristoforo. His table saw book was my bible when I was getting
started, but I've noticed that the last revision of it was in 1987. Most of
his other books are out of print. I think there are newer and better books
available-- De Cristoforo's are sound, but poorly laid out and illustrated.

Funny you should mention it. I was looking at some woodworking books on
Amazon this morning and was struck by how dated De Cristoforo's work looked
compared with other books, especially those from Taunton Press.
-- Ernie

Charlie Self

spearfox asks:

I became interested in woodworking author R.J. Cristoforo. I noticed that he
has several books over the years covering lots of subjects. Some of the
books are no longer available. My local library does not have any of his
books. I was thinking of asking the local library to purchase some of his
books.

My questions to the group a
Is this author a worthwhile "read"?

Get 'em. Cris was pretty much the dean of DIY writers, until his death a couple
years ago. He was an accomplished woodworker, excellent writer, fine
photographer, and wrote a slew of books and articles over the years.

My main interest were some of his books pertaining to jigs and fixtures, but
while researching his name I found he is involved in tools, toys,
housebuilding and a wide assortment of wood related subjects.

A lot of his books are being updated and upgraded. I've got a couple of his jig
books, as well as a few others, and find them uniformly excellent. If his
subject matter hits an area where you need information, I'd say go for it.

Charlie Self

I think we agree, the past is over.
George W. Bush

Charlie Self

Ernie Jurick writes:

Funny you should mention it. I was looking at some woodworking books on
Amazon this morning and was struck by how dated De Cristoforo's work looked
compared with other books, especially those from Taunton Press.

Every book from the '50s, '60s, '70s, '80s and much of the '90s looks dated by
the new books being issued. New printing technology, etc. DeCristoforo's books
are being re-invented, and are even more worthwhile than ever before...if it's
pretty pitchers what turns ya on, then a lot of the b&w stuff from the previous
century will strike you as worthless.

Layout is better today: blame that on Pagemaker and QuarkXPress. It's one
helluva lot easier to change a layout with either of those programs, even for
the partially ept like me, than it is to go back 10 or 20 pages and make
changes in blues or waxes.

Charlie Self

I think we agree, the past is over.
George W. Bush

Lenny

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I have several of his books (mostly
purchased through the Popular Science book club back in the 80's) and
would recommend "The Complete Book of Power Tools" if you can find it.
Amazon.com maybe ?

On 14 Jul 2003 20:49:04 GMT, leah (Charlie Self)
wrote:

spearfox asks:

[...]

Charlie Self

Harry M writes:

He [De Cristoforo] can often be found on alt.coffee

I don't think so. David may be. R.J., no.

Charlie Self

I think we agree, the past is over.
George W. Bush

Sbtypesetter