John Grossbohlin

Default Woodworking Books

"news.verizon.net" wrote in message
Hi, all.

Just to get this out of the way up front, I did a google search. (lol)

I figured that since I was a newbie, and since this topic doesn't seem to
have been covered very well here since 1999 or so (which surprises me,

given
everyone's enthusiasm about recommending posters to read, read, read), I
figured I'd be the sacrificial lamb to ask: What top 10 woodworking books
would you recommend? So far as I can see, "Understanding Wood" (by R.

Bruce
Hoadley), and "Understanding Wood Finishing" (by Bob Flexner) are both
widely recommended.

I was wondering what other books you all would recommend. For example, is

I've taken a different track here... Instead of looking for definitive
works, typically written by a single author, I've gone the route of buying
pretty much everything I can find from remainder vendors. I'm looking for
variance across writers in techniques and ideas. From the multitude of works
I pick and choose what works for me given my current task and the tools I
either have or can buy at that moment.

The result of this approach is that over the past four years or so I've
added 150+ books to my shelves. The remainder vendors sell cheap so the
dollars involved here are not too bad... and there is always at least one
useful item in a book no matter how good it is overall. If nothing else,
some books are useful as a way to identify other works that may be
better--particularly the more scholarly books that have citations. As an
example, I paid about $7-8 for the 2nd Edition of Hoadley's book in hard
cover whereas Amazon gets $28.

John