Swingman

Default Snowing in Houson

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Merry Christmas ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Leon

"Swingman" wrote in message
The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Swingman are you doing OK??????

This is the second post I have tried to chase you down on.

I repeat!!!!!!!

Swingman, are you getting snow this morning? Twice my house has be under
heavy snow. The snow storm is inconsistent in intensity but I am of firm
belief that the situation will get worse and I strongly suggest that you
monitor the situation. Chocolate Lab ran out into the yard and came
whimpering back to the shelter I was under. She was covered with 2 flakes
of snow and a closer inspection revealed 3 specs of sleet. Internet radar
is showing NOTHING!!!!!...... This concerns me greatly as I know what kind
of whollup we are in for. Radar sure would make this less scary......

;~)

ROTFLMAO...........

Swingman

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

LOL Hmmm ... wonder if Home Depot has any snow shovels?

Actually, I didn't see your post until after my post. All the neighborhood
kids are out trying to catch snowflakes on their tongues. Might be another
16 years before they get the chance again.

Amazing what a few snow flurries on the Gulf Coast will do to everyone's
attitude ... even the corner neighbors are being nice this morning.

Merry Christmas, Leon!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

J.B. Bobbitt

I lived there during the Great Christmas Freeze in 1983. Or 1984. One of
those years. There was lots of damage from broken copper pipes and
exploding electric water heaters.

There's nothing uglier than a palm tree that's died from freeze. Well,
excpet maybe LOT'S of dead palm trees.

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Leon

"J.B. Bobbitt" wrote in message
m...
I lived there during the Great Christmas Freeze in 1983. Or 1984. One of
those years. There was lots of damage from broken copper pipes and
exploding electric water heaters.

There's nothing uglier than a palm tree that's died from freeze. Well,
excpet maybe LOT'S of dead palm trees.

I have lived in Houston since 1974. I remember that freeze. I was the
Service Sales Manager for an Olds dealer and there were hundreds of cars
with broken radiators being hauled in.

Lowell Holmes

"Leon" wrote in message
m...

"Swingman" wrote in message
[...]

Down here in balmy Galveston County, there were 3 small specs of sleet so
far. I guess we'll go to the beach for some sunbathing. :-)

Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Glad to have sent it on...

Had from 2 to 4" up here and it was -2 F last night...all the way to 20
already today though! Will be near 60 Saturday again...ah, consistency
on the High Plains...
Stephen Pinn

Been living in Houston for 14+ years now, I will finally have a chance
to use that tobaggon I brought from Toronto, oh wait you need hills
.... darn!

Merry Christmas all
Steve

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:20:52 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Merry Christmas ...

Swingman

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Glad to have sent it on...

Well, at the moment I appreciate it more than you realize. ;)

Gumbo on Christmas is a family tradition and, since it's always better the
next day, with the expected 24F tonight I'll be able 'refrigerate' it out on
the back porch tonight without having to pack the big pot in ice overnight.

Had from 2 to 4" up here and it was -2 F last night...all the way to 20
already today though! Will be near 60 Saturday again...ah, consistency
on the High Plains...

We're looking for 70 by Tuesday ... sounds downright warm at the moment.

Merry Christmas ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"Stephen Pinn" wrote in message
Been living in Houston for 14+ years now, I will finally have a chance
to use that tobaggon I brought from Toronto, oh wait you need hills
... darn!

Want a hill in Houston? ... used to be on Jackson just off Allen Parkway
going NW. Haven't been there in years, but, depending upon which way you
were headed, the road plunged down the side of a real "hill" back in the old
days ... of course the developers have probably leveled it off by now.

It's either that, Miller Outdoor Theater in Herman Park, or the ship channel
bridge. ;)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Duane Bozarth

Stephen Pinn wrote:

Been living in Houston for 14+ years now, I will finally have a chance
to use that tobaggon I brought from Toronto, oh wait you need hills

Nah, just a horse!
J.B. Bobbitt

I have a vivid memory "hills in Houston" from when I lived there
(1982-1987).

It had rained hard for a long time and the low areas had flooded (there's a
shock). On the evening news, they were interviewing the flood victims down
on the southeast side. One woman with that unmistakable east-texas drawl
proclaimed: "This is the eighth time we've been flooded out. I feel like we
belong to the flood-of-the-month club. What we NEED is a hill."

Stephen Pinn wrote:

Been living in Houston for 14+ years now, I will finally have a chance
to use that tobaggon I brought from Toronto, oh wait you need hills

Nah, just a horse!

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Freaky. Coming back from the MILs I noticed a lot of northbound trucks with
snow boogers on them. I gather it must be snowing down in TN or western NC
somewhere.

Bleah.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Swingman

"Silvan" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Freaky. Coming back from the MILs I noticed a lot of northbound trucks

with
snow boogers on them. I gather it must be snowing down in TN or western

NC
somewhere.

Hell, it's still snowing in Houston at 9PM. The neighborhood kids made a
snowman ...well, it's a small snowman, and they scrapped the snow off a
dozen car trunks and hoods to do it, but it's cold and white and still
sitting in the front yard.

Merry Christmas, Michael.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Lew Hodgett

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

IMHO, that sucks.

Here in SoCal, if you want snow, two (2) options.

1) Go to the mountains less than 50 miles away.
2) Get a truck and haul in 30-40 tons of the stuff.

The high today in Ohio where my mother lives reached a balmy 10F.

Here in SoCal, at the old boat yard, the sun was shining and the high temps
were about 68F-70F, even if it was in the mid 40's at daybreak.

Not to shabby for the winter season, can even lay fiber glass in this
weather.

Happy Holidays to every one who celebrates the season.

To those who don't, enjoy the time your way.

Lew

Tom

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:20:52 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Had to run down to Sargent to drain the pipes and hit strong flurries
on the way back. Had sleet/snow mix from the time we left the bay but
by the time we hit Hwy. 6 it was really coming down. By the time we
hit BW 8 the overpasses had quite an accumulation. Back around 1960 it
had quit. Kids live near Dickinson and they are getting quite an
accumulation. How 'bout that - a white Christmas in Houston???
patrick conroy

"Swingman" wrote in message
The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Got a call from our son's Godparents in Corpus.
It's snowing waaaaaaaaaaaaay down south.

Funny - here I am in Snow Country and it ain't.

Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:
Hell, it's still snowing in Houston ...

Hell, the weatherman here last night was so amazed he showed the radar
showing it snowing in Bronwsville, for heaven's sake! I'm going to have
to call my kinfolk down there and see if they can tell what it's doing
to their citrus groves as yet...
Ed Clarke

In article , Duane Bozarth wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Hell, it's still snowing in Houston ...

Hell, the weatherman here last night was so amazed he showed the radar
showing it snowing in Bronwsville, for heaven's sake! I'm going to have
to call my kinfolk down there and see if they can tell what it's doing
to their citrus groves as yet...

Gee, we have a real problem now. Hell is freezing over...
Tom

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 08:47:21 -0600, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Swingman wrote:
Hell, it's still snowing in Houston ...

Hell, the weatherman here last night was so amazed he showed the radar
showing it snowing in Bronwsville, for heaven's sake! I'm going to have
to call my kinfolk down there and see if they can tell what it's doing
to their citrus groves as yet...

Brownsville recorded the first snowfall accumulation since 1895. The
whole coastal area got snow.

Nova

Swingman wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Merry Christmas ...

At noon yesterday (Friday 12/24) I was looking at nothing but grass on the
lawn. By 8 PM there was 2' of snow.

Merry Christmas to all.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Duane Bozarth

Tom wrote:
Brownsville recorded the first snowfall accumulation since 1895. The
whole coastal area got snow.

I saw picture on the TV news last night of Victoria...but they didn't
say anything about the actual low temperatures...I'm assuming (all
that's probably naive) that a lack of mention means it didn't actually
get cold enough long enough for the citrus to be severely damaged...
Tom

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 03:26:07 GMT, Stephen Pinn
wrote:

We are in North West Houston (1960-249 area) and barely a flake fell,
dang!

We're right down the street (Jones - 1960) and got very little. We had
to make a quick run to Sargent to drain the pipes at our place down
there and hit heavy flurries on the way back - wife was thrilled.
Actually had pretty good snowfall until we passed 290. We had snow on
the roof and cars in the drive but snow was over by the time we got
home.
Swingman

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

I saw picture on the TV news last night of Victoria...but they didn't
say anything about the actual low temperatures...I'm assuming (all
that's probably naive) that a lack of mention means it didn't actually
get cold enough long enough for the citrus to be severely damaged...

I don't recall hearing anything on the news the past two days about the
recent cold snap affecting the South Texas citrus crop. I doubt there was
much of an impact as the temperature didn't seem to get below the mid
twenties for very long, with little precipitation and no high winds. IIRC,
in the past, with most citrus damaging freezes, the temperature were in the
teens, with a lot of wind and precipitation that caused advective freezing.

Besides, anything that would have justified the MBA's raising citrus prices
at the big corporate retail grocery stores would certainly have been
repeatedly mentioned so that we would feel better about paying more today
for oranges from Chile.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

Besides, anything that would have justified the MBA's raising citrus prices
at the big corporate retail grocery stores would certainly have been
repeatedly mentioned so that we would feel better about paying more today
for oranges from Chile.

Yeah, that's a bummer for sure...but surely do like the Valley Ruby
Red grapefruit--there's none other that compares...

Grandparents (and now aunt/uncles/cousins) have place in the vicinity of
Pharr --

Usually moisture helps rather than hurts -- dry cold is typically the
more damaging. Often they'll mist (particularly at bloom time) to keep
the water vapor in the air so it's more difficult for the air
temperature to drop...at least that's what I was always told...I'm a
wheat farmer and only know what I've picked up second hand. We're so
far away we don't get down to where Mom's family is often...last I was
in the area was in '98.

Anyway, thanks for the info...
jo4hn

wrote:

Swingman wrote:

Hell, it's still snowing in Houston ...

Hell, the weatherman here last night was so amazed he showed the radar
showing it snowing in Bronwsville, for heaven's sake! I'm going to have
to call my kinfolk down there and see if they can tell what it's doing
to their citrus groves as yet...

Brownsville recorded the first snowfall accumulation since 1895. The
whole coastal area got snow.

Ayup. I was warned that if I voted for Kerry, there would be war,
quagmire, deficits, and snow in Brownsville. Well I did anyway and
guess what? ;-)
mahalo,
jo4hn
Swingman

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Usually moisture helps rather than hurts -- dry cold is typically the
more damaging. Often they'll mist (particularly at bloom time) to keep
the water vapor in the air so it's more difficult for the air
temperature to drop...at least that's what I was always told

Not always. I specifically said advective freezing, where "moisture" plays a
part, combined with wind. The resultant evaporative cooling below ambient
temperature causes the damage to the grove. With this cold front there was a
lot of cloud cover and it was apparently not cold enough, for long enough,
to cause radiational freeze damage.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:46:33 -0500, Nova
calmly ranted:

Swingman wrote:

The Christmas gumbo is on, the house smells good with the cooking for
tomorrow, and the snow is actually sticking to the cars in the driveway.

Merry Christmas ...

At noon yesterday (Friday 12/24) I was looking at nothing but grass on the
lawn. By 8 PM there was 2' of snow.

TWO FEET? Oy vay, Yack. What a white Christmas! Mario's always
complaining about Buffalo getting a bad rap, but I continue to hear
amazing things like that (and the 5' one week a couple years ago,
etc.) Methinks -he- is in denial.

We were supposed to get snow but it has been 37° rain so far today.
Siskiyou Pass is blanketed in white, though.
http://www.tripcheck.com/roadcams/customcamdetail.asp?Name=Larry%27s%20Map&Num=2&cam 1=18&cam2=74

Merry Christmas to all.

Nappy Hoo Year to you, too.

P.S: Got JPGs?

* * Humorous T-shirts Online
* Norm's Got Strings * Wondrous Website Design
* * http://www.diversify.com

Nova

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:46:33 -0500, Nova
calmly ranted:

At noon yesterday (Friday 12/24) I was looking at nothing but grass on the
lawn. By 8 PM there was 2' of snow.

TWO FEET? Oy vay, Yack. What a white Christmas! Mario's always
complaining about Buffalo getting a bad rap, but I continue to hear
amazing things like that (and the 5' one week a couple years ago,
etc.) Methinks -he- is in denial.

Lake effect snows are funny. The snow may have missed Mario's area. I know that about 5 miles to the
south of me they only got 2"-3". The official measurement at the Buffalo airport, about 10 miles east
of the lake was 11".

We were supposed to get snow but it has been 37° rain so far today.
Siskiyou Pass is blanketed in white, though.
http://www.tripcheck.com/roadcams/customcamdetail.asp?Name=Larry%27s%20Map&Num=2&cam 1=18&cam2=74

Looks familiar although during the worse of Friday evenings storm I has to stop snow blowing as I
couldn't see the front of the snow blower. Fortunately it was the light fluffy stuff and I was able
to clear most of it out in about an hour after the snow stopped.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
(Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

Usually moisture helps rather than hurts -- dry cold is typically the
more damaging. Often they'll mist (particularly at bloom time) to keep
the water vapor in the air so it's more difficult for the air
temperature to drop...at least that's what I was always told

Not always. I specifically said advective freezing, where "moisture" plays a
part, combined with wind. The resultant evaporative cooling below ambient
temperature causes the damage to the grove. With this cold front there was a
lot of cloud cover and it was apparently not cold enough, for long enough,
to cause radiational freeze damage.

OK, I'm not arguing, as I said, that's just what I was always told by
kinfolk down there...they were probably keeping it simple for the wheat
guy...

Dry cold is about the only kind we know up here and it's calm if it's
under 25 mph...

But how do you get cooling below ambient this way?

Anyway, I was assuming the air temps weren't cold enough long enough for
serious damage.
Lew Hodgett

"Nova" writes:

Lake effect snows are funny.

Tell me about it.

The official reporting point for Cleveland is Hopkins Airport on the west
side of the city.

Average yearly snow fall is less than 6 ft.

20 miles east in Chardon, Oh, heart of the snow belt, 10+ ft is the normal.

The official measurement at the Buffalo airport, about 10 miles east
of the lake was 11".

My local salesman for the Western New York area lived in Buffalo and worked
out of his house.

At least once or twice a year he would be up on his roof shoveling off snow
when I would call.

Ah the memories.

Today, I wait for a winter storm to come in off the Pacific and dump a bunch
of rain on SoCal.

Really screws up my fiberglass laying work.

Lew

Swingman

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

But how do you get cooling below ambient this way?

Same thing that makes your cool your skin ... faster and cooler in a breeze,
and faster and cooler with a breeze and low RH: heat of evaporation.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 16:59:16 -0500, Nova
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 23:46:33 -0500, Nova
calmly ranted:

At noon yesterday (Friday 12/24) I was looking at nothing but grass on the
lawn. By 8 PM there was 2' of snow.

TWO FEET? Oy vay, Yack. What a white Christmas! Mario's always
complaining about Buffalo getting a bad rap, but I continue to hear
amazing things like that (and the 5' one week a couple years ago,
etc.) Methinks -he- is in denial.

Lake effect snows are funny. The snow may have missed Mario's area. I know that about 5 miles to the
south of me they only got 2"-3". The official measurement at the Buffalo airport, about 10 miles east
of the lake was 11".

Yeah, my buddy Terry used to drive from NYC to Canuckistan and went
through there. Serveral times he stopped and stood in the sunshine
a few yards from a blowing snowstorm, as if there were a wall there
and the storm was contained behind it. Damndest thing he ever saw.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com

jo4hn

Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Nova" writes:

[snip]
Ah the memories.

Today, I wait for a winter storm to come in off the Pacific and dump a bunch
of rain on SoCal.

Really screws up my fiberglass laying work.

Lew

At least one forecaster says we should get a couple feet of snow up
here. Gonna meet a daughter at a restaurant in Orange County for lunch
tomorrow. The snow is supposed to hold off till evening.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

through there. Serveral times he stopped and stood in the sunshine
a few yards from a blowing snowstorm, as if there were a wall there
and the storm was contained behind it. Damndest thing he ever saw.

I've seen that too, here in Virginia. Almost like there's some kind of
invisible forcefield keeping the white stuff on the other side of the line.
Very weird.

We get weather like that especially in late spring.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
George

Swingman wrote:

[...]

Simple fact - can't get colder than the dewpoint. By misting, they raise,
or at least hold the dewpoint. If they get significant evaporative cooling,
they're not misting well enough. With a high RH, evaporation is nil.

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 01:40:04 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

through there. Serveral times he stopped and stood in the sunshine
a few yards from a blowing snowstorm, as if there were a wall there
and the storm was contained behind it. Damndest thing he ever saw.

I've seen that too, here in Virginia. Almost like there's some kind of
invisible forcefield keeping the white stuff on the other side of the line.
Very weird.

We get weather like that especially in late spring.

Ditto on Little Rock AFB in the 60s. I'd be on one side of
the street in the sunshine while it rained like hell (80F
summer rain) on the other side of the street, and I could
watch the line of wetness progress slowly toward me. Great
stuff for an 8-year-old.

- Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design
- nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com

Swingman

"George" wrote in message

Simple fact - can't get colder than the dewpoint. By misting, they raise,
or at least hold the dewpoint. If they get significant evaporative

cooling,
they're not misting well enough. With a high RH, evaporation is nil.

Well George, you could trot your ass down to the Rio Grande Valley and
become St George overnight by teaching them with that superior
knowledge/attitude.

An even "simple(r) fact" - Your ignorance of advective freezing is showing.
Have you ever tried to "mist" in a high wind?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Duane Bozarth

Swingman wrote:

"George" wrote in message

Simple fact - can't get colder than the dewpoint. By misting, they raise,
or at least hold the dewpoint. If they get significant evaporative

cooling,
they're not misting well enough. With a high RH, evaporation is nil.

Well George, you could trot your ass down to the Rio Grande Valley and
become St George overnight by teaching them with that superior
knowledge/attitude.

An even "simple(r) fact" - Your ignorance of advective freezing is showing.
Have you ever tried to "mist" in a high wind?

I was going to just drop off here, but I think there's a semantics
problem...to check my memory I looked up advection -- "The horizontal
transfer of air mass properties by the velocity field of the
atmosphere". That's what I recalled. The effect of wind is to enhance
heat transfer, yes, but it doesn't cause the cooled object temperature
to drop below the air temperature...that's against thermo rules.

Sure, one can't keep all water in the air if it's blowing hard, but the
same principle holds...even an ice layer over the tree can be an
insulating blanket that helps if the air temperature isn't too cold too
long and it's not at the most critical juncture...

Anyway, not to get too carried away...