Default Upcoming Bandsaw Purchase

I am in the middle of outfitting my garage shop and am trying to
decide which bandsaw to purchase. I will use it for resawing and some
curves. My specialty is furniture. I was interested in at least a
16". I have it narrowed down to the following (in no particular
order):

1 Laguna LT16 (16") - $1500 I have heard some rumours about the
Bulgarian models

2 General International 90-270 (18") - $1600

3 General 690-1 (15") - $1650 A little pricey for a 15", but I have
heard they are very good

4 Bridgewood BW-17WBS (17") - $1000

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with any of these. I have
done quite a bit of research on Google and read several magazines, but
I didn't find that much and don't feel that magazines are that
trustworthy. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Russell

Stephen M

BTDT

1 Laguna LT16 (16") - $1500 I have heard some rumours about the
Bulgarian models

Nice fence, revolutionary guides. Shipping was brutal and presales support
turned me off. They just did not want to find a way to get a saw to me
without me eating $250 in shipping costs. People can be creative if they
really want to. I just felt like a small fish nuissance small fish.

I also heard some customer service horror stories about them not being able
to fix vibration problems on their lower end machines.

2 General International 90-270 (18") - $1600

That looks like a honey of a machine. With CI wheels, that thing will spin
down for *minutes*. Seriously. A foot break is nice to have.

There was a reviw by one of the mags about 6-8 months ago about 18" saws.
Google the group to determine which rag it was.

FWIW, their top "value" machine was a Rikon at around $900. A machine I was
not aware of when I was doing my research. I would give that one a look too.

Good luck, Let us know what you choose and write a review.

-Steve

max

I bought a used Gi 18 inch. I didn't realize it was an import until I got
home. It cuts really well and is very nicely built. The cast iron tables are
first rate. I will replace the plastic handles with metal but I am very
happy with it. I paid $650 with 10 Timberwolf blades and a shop fox rolling
base.
max

American Woodworker magazine, Oct-04. Part 2 of a Bandsaw review. Part 1
covered smaller machines.

Dave

"Stephen M" wrote in message
BTDT

[...]

russellfletcher

I looked at both those reviews and the one on 18" models in FWW. In
fact, I have gone back through every subscription I have for the past
year (several) and read everything on bandsaws. But you can't trust
magazines to give you the full story on machines. That's why all of
your opinions are so valuable.

Cox West wrote:
American Woodworker magazine, Oct-04. Part 2 of a Bandsaw review.

Part 1
covered smaller machines.

Dave

"Stephen M" wrote in message
BTDT

[...]

russellfletcher

The General 690 was the first one I looked at and have heard nothing
but great things about General tools (Canadian). In fact, if I hadn't
gotten such a good deal on the Delta Unisaw I just bought, I would have
gone with the General 350 or 650 table saw. but the one thing that
worries me is that this is a 15" model. I want to get a saw with some
real beefiness and stability in it, not a 14" with a riser block. I
know the 14/block combo would technically work for resawing large
panels, but why not get the best tool for the job, not the one that
"just works".

Russell

Dave

How does quality compare between the GI and General? With the huge price
differential I am surprised that the parent factory can survive.... I guess
there is a luxury escalation of price at the high end.

Retail price for the 690 here in Canada (at House of Tools) is higher
than street prices quoted. Who offers competitive pricing north of the
border?

Dave

"russellfletcher" wrote in message
oups.com...
The General 690 was the first one I looked at and have heard nothing
but great things about General tools (Canadian). In fact, if I hadn't
gotten such a good deal on the Delta Unisaw I just bought, I would have
gone with the General 350 or 650 table saw. but the one thing that
worries me is that this is a 15" model. I want to get a saw with some
real beefiness and stability in it, not a 14" with a riser block. I
know the 14/block combo would technically work for resawing large
panels, but why not get the best tool for the job, not the one that
"just works".

Russell

Bob

"Slowhand" I'm@work wrote in message
You better check out the Mini Max. I have it and love it. Excellent
customer support base as well.

Are you talking about the S16?

Bob

russellfletcher

The minimax S16 is like the Laguna smaller series. I have seen some
negative posts on the rec. And the other models are just outside the
amount I am willing to spend.

russellfletcher

The Bridgewood is made by the same company that makes Agazzani I have
heard, but I haven't heard anything more about them. I would really
like to hear from anyone who has seen them up close or used one. I
mean, the Italian saws are supposed to be great.

Junior Member

I just got the Laguna Tools LT16 bandsaw recently and absolutely love it! It is a well-built machine and cuts like a dream. It has a 3 HP Baldor motor and their unique ceramic guide system.

I have used it for small, detailed cuts, curved cuts, and for large resawing cuts. I have also used it to cut tennons instead of using my tablesaw. I have found that it is a lot safer.

I really like the fence that comes with the saw. It can be used in the up position for tall resaw work or used in the down positon for low work. It is a solid fence and is completely adjustable for drift.

I did a LOT of checking and wanted to make sure that I got the best saw for the price range I was looking at. Even after all my comparison shopping, I was blown away by how nice this saw cuts. I couldn't afford their heavy duty model so this was the next best thing.

I also have their resaw blade which cuts veneers and book matched panels great. Their staff also seemed more knowledgeable about bandsaws than other people I spoke with.

I would encourage you to check this saw out.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by
[...]

russellfletcher

After reading all your posts and taking everything into consideration,
I ordered the General (Canadian) 15" bandsaw, model 690-1. It has a 12
3/4" resaw capacity. I got it in last week and its is an extremely
well made piece of equipment, really massive construction, and rock
solid. And of the 6 test cuts I have made, it has been smooth as silk.
Kind of made me regret getting a Unisaw instead of teh General table
saw. I want to thank everyone for all your help and insight.

Russell

Bandsaw purchase Clif Woodworking 9 August 11th 04 01:14 PM
bandsaw purchase Robert Sobieck Woodworking 2 September 25th 03 06:04 PM