Clif

Default Bandsaw purchase

I am considering the purchase of an 18" bandsaw for both resawing and
cutting moderately sharp curves. Knowing I can get a Jet for $875,
does anyone have any other suggestions or comments?
Clif
RonB

I have had an 18" Jet for about three years. Very satisfied and that sounds
like a pretty good price.

The lower blade guides can be a bit of a stinker to adjust but you'll catch
on.

Ron
"Clif" wrote in message
I am considering the purchase of an 18" bandsaw for both resawing and
cutting moderately sharp curves. Knowing I can get a Jet for $875,
does anyone have any other suggestions or comments?
Clif

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Clif wrote:
I am considering the purchase of an 18" bandsaw for both resawing and
cutting moderately sharp curves. Knowing I can get a Jet for $875,
does anyone have any other suggestions or comments?

Woodcraft is supposed to start carrying the Rikon line in another month or so.
The Rikon 18" saw got a best buy rating a couple of months ago in Fine
Woodworking. One of its winning characteristics is ease of changing blades.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

http://www.mortimerschnerd.com

RonB

I almost asked the same question but remembered I got mine for less. When I
purchased mine the floor prices was $1019. A local tool store runs annual
fall sales where they:

1) Apply the Jet Bucks promotion ($30 for every $300 in value...
2) Take 10% off the post Jet Bucks price.
3) Forgive the local sales tax.

I think I rolled my out of the door for around $880 with a mobile base. If
you have these kinds of sales you can save some real money.

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:08:04 -0400, Clif wrote:

I am considering the purchase of an 18" bandsaw for both resawing and
cutting moderately sharp curves. Knowing I can get a Jet for $875,
does anyone have any other suggestions or comments?
Clif

I'd like to know where you can get an 18" jet bandsaw for 875.00? All
prices i've seen were 1199.00. You might want to check out:
http://www.wilkemachinery.com/

Barry Lennox

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:08:04 -0400, Clif wrote:

I am considering the purchase of an 18" bandsaw for both resawing and
cutting moderately sharp curves. Knowing I can get a Jet for $875,
does anyone have any other suggestions or comments?
Clif

That's a good price, I paid about $925 in Dec 01. I'm pretty happy
with it. As others have noted, the lower guides are hard to adjust
as-is. But, rip of the lower blade guard piece-o-junk metal (should
not have your hands down there anyway) and make a custom "short" hex
key, and swap one of the bolts for a longer one. Then it's really easy
to adjust the lower guide. "Don't fight it, modify it"

Barry Lennox.
Slowhand

"David Zaret" wrote in message
not sure if budget is a big issue, but if it's not, the minimax is a
beautiful machine. i love mine.

Ditto.
SH

Tim Schubach

You may be looking at an 18" Jet bandsaw, but check out the resaw capacity.
I ended up with a 17" saw from Wilkey ( http://store.wilkemachinery.com/ ),
which has a higher resaw capacity, and have been very happy with it so far.

If you have some extra change laying around the house, check out the Laguna
( http://www.lagunatools.com/ ) line of bandsaws. Call them and they'll
send you a video. Nice machines, but kinda pricey for the everyday
woodworker.

wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:08:04 -0400, Clif wrote:

I am considering the purchase of an 18" bandsaw for both resawing and
cutting moderately sharp curves. Knowing I can get a Jet for $875,
does anyone have any other suggestions or comments?
Clif

I'd like to know where you can get an 18" jet bandsaw for 875.00? All
prices i've seen were 1199.00. You might want to check out:
http://www.wilkemachinery.com/

Which Bandsaw to purchase? Don Woodworking 4 April 4th 04 05:51 PM
New bandsaw saga Part I (long) Bruce Woodworking 0 December 30th 03 06:39 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM
bandsaw purchase Robert Sobieck Woodworking 2 September 25th 03 06:04 PM