Don

Default Which Bandsaw to purchase?

Help me, I'm a torn man, trying to decide which of these 14" bandsaws
to purchase.
1 Grizzly G0555 - can't beat the price, and I do really like the
new green and white color scheme that Grizzly seems to be going to
(very stylish!).
2 Shop Fox W1706 - Cabinet stand version of the G0555. Has cast
iron wheels instead of aluminum (if that makes any difference). New
model, no idea of the price. White color. http://www.shopfox.biz
3 Bridgewood BW-14WBS - Love that Euro look. Same fence as
models above. Boring Green (green is so overdone!). $549
http://www.wilkemachinery.com

Anyone have any experience(s) with those specific Shop Fox or
Bridgewood saws?
And yes, I do want my workshop to be stylish and colorful!
Charlie Self

Don asks:

to purchase.
1 Grizzly G0555 - can't beat the price, and I do really like the
new green and white color scheme that Grizzly seems to be going to
(very stylish!).
2 Shop Fox W1706 - Cabinet stand version of the G0555. Has cast
iron wheels instead of aluminum (if that makes any difference). New
model, no idea of the price. White color. http://www.shopfox.biz
3 Bridgewood BW-14WBS - Love that Euro look. Same fence as
models above. Boring Green (green is so overdone!). $549
http://www.wilkemachinery.com

Anyone have any experience(s) with those specific Shop Fox or
Bridgewood saws?
And yes, I do want my workshop to be stylish and colorful!

I don't have experience with that Shop Fox, but I do have the 16". I'd go with
the Shop Fox based on my experience with that one.

Don't know where you'd get it, though. See if the Shop Fox site lists
retailers. It isn't on the Grizzly site, though my 16" is. You might check the
Grizzly catalog, which sometimes seems more complete than their web site.

Too, check out Shop Fox by phone. They will be able to give you info about
dealers, I'm sure.

Charlie Self
"The function of posterity is to look after itself." Dylan Thomas
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Sounds like color is an important factor in your decision. I'd peruse
this website re color of tools and it might solve your problem:
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...FFMADEPAINTED/

--
Larry C in Auburn WA
"Don" wrote in message
om...
Help me, I'm a torn man, trying to decide which of these 14" bandsaws
to purchase.
1 Grizzly G0555 - can't beat the price, and I do really like the
new green and white color scheme that Grizzly seems to be going to
(very stylish!).
2 Shop Fox W1706 - Cabinet stand version of the G0555. Has cast
iron wheels instead of aluminum (if that makes any difference). New
model, no idea of the price. White color. http://www.shopfox.biz
3 Bridgewood BW-14WBS - Love that Euro look. Same fence as
models above. Boring Green (green is so overdone!). $549
http://www.wilkemachinery.com

Anyone have any experience(s) with those specific Shop Fox or
Bridgewood saws?
And yes, I do want my workshop to be stylish and colorful!

Layne

None. :-) Seriously, while all three saws should be good I'd recommend
shopping around for a good used Rockwell/Delta with the upper and
lower micrometer blade guide adjustments. That alone is worth the
extra price, though buying used will negate that. You could live
without it, but once you've used the micrometer guide adjustment
you'll love it. Buying used will leave you with left over money to hop
up the saw with Cool Blocks, PowerTwist link belts, a better
aftermarket fence etc. I bought my open stand Delta and it came with a
1hp motor, mobile base, fence and miter gauge all for $250.

Look in your local paper, Ebay, Pennysaver, word of mouth, local used
machinery dealers, etc. Know what to look for and what you want. Have
cash on hand and be ready to buy on the spot....these things do sell
fast.

If you do go with the Shop Fox (or any other BS) you definately want
the cast iron wheels. It makes a HUGE difference. More mass means more
inertia. Your motor won't have to work as hard resawing and your cuts
will be smoother (provided the wheels are true and balanced).

Happy BS hunting,

Layne

On 2 Apr 2004 05:57:32 -0800, (Don) wrote:

Help me, I'm a torn man, trying to decide which of these 14" bandsaws
to purchase.
1 Grizzly G0555 - can't beat the price, and I do really like the
new green and white color scheme that Grizzly seems to be going to
(very stylish!).
2 Shop Fox W1706 - Cabinet stand version of the G0555. Has cast
iron wheels instead of aluminum (if that makes any difference). New
model, no idea of the price. White color.
http://www.shopfox.biz
3 Bridgewood BW-14WBS - Love that Euro look. Same fence as
models above. Boring Green (green is so overdone!). $549
http://www.wilkemachinery.com

Anyone have any experience(s) with those specific Shop Fox or
Bridgewood saws?
And yes, I do want my workshop to be stylish and colorful!

New bandsaw saga Part I (long) Bruce Woodworking 0 December 30th 03 06:39 PM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM
bandsaw purchase Robert Sobieck Woodworking 2 September 25th 03 06:04 PM