jerry

Default GLOAT MAJOR GLOAT A REALLY BIG GLOAT

I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the
clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if SWMBO
woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand and
the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for about
$59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

Tom

Enjoy! Tom
Work at your leisure!
P.H. Thorsted

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:39:26 -0800, jerry wrote:

I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the
clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if SWMBO
woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand and
the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for about
$59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

Give Sears a call and tell them the motor was missing. They just might
replace it free of charge. Worth a try anyway.

P.T.
AAvK

I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the
clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if SWMBO
woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding, but, what if you were HWMBO???

Congrats.

Alex

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand and
the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for about
$59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

Swingman

Gloat inflation?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

RonB

Give Sears a call and tell them the motor was missing. They just might
replace it free of charge. Worth a try anyway.

Absolutely do this. My nephew bought one of their upright dust collectors
this way for $50, but it was missing some components. The salesperson told
him outright to contact customer service about the parts. He did and had
the parts within a week.

BTW $59 for the motor sounds VERY OPTIMISTIC. I checked into a 1HP motor
for an older Craftsman table saw and it was in the $130 range. Or are you
looking at a rebuild?

Todd Fatheree

"RonB" wrote in message
Give Sears a call and tell them the motor was missing. They just might
replace it free of charge. Worth a try anyway.

Absolutely do this. My nephew bought one of their upright dust collectors
this way for $50, but it was missing some components. The salesperson

told
him outright to contact customer service about the parts. He did and had
the parts within a week.

BTW $59 for the motor sounds VERY OPTIMISTIC. I checked into a 1HP motor
for an older Craftsman table saw and it was in the $130 range. Or are you
looking at a rebuild?

Do motor shops around you rebuild 1HP motors? Back when I was looking into
a 1 3/4 HP motor for my jointer, I called a couple of motor shops and was
told that they didn't rebuild anything smaller than 5 or 10 HP.

todd

Silvan

Swingman wrote:

Gloat inflation?

Definitely gloat inflation. $200 for a $379 jointer that's missing $50
worth of stuff to be workable... Nah, that's just not a MAJOR REALLY BIG
GLOAT. That'd be the kind of thing I would save up to use as a little
driveby maybe, where it would carry a bit more weight. Putting it out in
front IN GIGANTIC ALL CAPITAL LETTERS kinda just sets a man up for jerks
like us to rag on him about the gloatability of his purported gloat.

But I guess I'll be nice and tell him how much he sucks anyway.

You suck!

But that was charity really. Come back when your neighbor comes knocking on
your door and says "Hey, you're a woodworker, right? My husband ran off
with his secretary, and I'm selling his shop for whatever I can get for it.
Come by my place later with your change jar." Then you get there, and he
has a Unisaw, a 24" planer, a 5 HP shaper, an 8" jointer, a 36" wide belt
sander, a 20" bandsaw, two buckets of routers with a chest full of bits, a
complete collection of Bedrock, Veritas and L-N planes, and a bucket full
of gold nuggets, and she lets you have the whole shooting match for $0.73.
Come back with a gloat like that, and the Wreck will grovel at your feet
for years, and call you Sucky McSuckysuck.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Bob

I loved your sense of humor, Michael. I looked at today's messages on
Google and see "gloat" in the subject of the first 10 message threads.

"'tis the season to be gloatful - fa la la la la, la la la FOLLY."

Bob

Rob V

for years, and call you Sucky McSuckysuck.

Now that is funny - tnx for the chuckle.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

RonB

Do motor shops around you rebuild 1HP motors?

They used to, but frankly I haven't had to have one rebuilt for several
years. I think rebuilds are still available. A lot of the older motors can
be given a new lease on life with easily replaced start capacitors and
internal switches for $30 to $40.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:39:26 -0800, jerry wrote:

I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the
clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if SWMBO
woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand and
the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for about
$59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

gloat, yes. major really big gloat, no.

"Silvan" wrote in message
But that was charity really. Come back when your neighbor comes knocking

on
your door and says "Hey, you're a woodworker, right? My husband ran off
with his secretary, and I'm selling his shop for whatever I can get for

it.
Come by my place later with your change jar." Then you get there, and he
has a Unisaw, a 24" planer, a 5 HP shaper, an 8" jointer, a 36" wide belt
sander, a 20" bandsaw, two buckets of routers with a chest full of bits, a
complete collection of Bedrock, Veritas and L-N planes, and a bucket full
of gold nuggets, and she lets you have the whole shooting match for $0.73.
Come back with a gloat like that, and the Wreck will grovel at your feet
for years, and call you Sucky McSuckysuck.

Hey, that happened to me just yesterday. I was at starbucks and had just
ordered a coffee. There was sawdust on my sweater and the lady behind me
started up talking about woodworking and her lousy husband. From the running
mascara I could tell she had been crying recently. Anyway, it turns out that
she had come home from work early yesterday and found her contractor husband
in bed with one of his clients. It was the canopy bed he had made for her as
a wedding present so it really ****ed her off. I won't go into the details
of all the tools she offered, but you were right, she was asking just $0.73
for the whole thing. I started smiling and could hardly keep a straight
face. Then I checked in my pockets and found that I only had $0.45 change
after buying coffee. When I arrived at work people could tell I had been
crying. My mascara had run.

-j

Swingman

"J" wrote in message

Hey, that happened to me just yesterday. I was at starbucks and had just
ordered a coffee. There was sawdust on my sweater and the lady behind me
started up talking about woodworking and her lousy husband. From the

running
mascara I could tell she had been crying recently. Anyway, it turns out

that
she had come home from work early yesterday and found her contractor

husband
in bed with one of his clients.

Funny, same thing happened to a family friend just last week, only it's not
his tools, but his horses she's selling for .73. Love hath no fury...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

"Swingman" wrote in message
"J" wrote in message

Hey, that happened to me just yesterday. I was at starbucks and had just
ordered a coffee. There was sawdust on my sweater and the lady behind me
started up talking about woodworking and her lousy husband. From the

running
mascara I could tell she had been crying recently. Anyway, it turns out

that
she had come home from work early yesterday and found her contractor

husband
in bed with one of his clients.

Funny, same thing happened to a family friend just last week, only it's

not
his tools, but his horses she's selling for .73. Love hath no fury...

In my case she was letting the mares go, but keeping the stallions.

-j

Prometheus

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:29:49 -0700, "P.H. Thorsted"
wrote:

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:39:26 -0800, jerry wrote:

I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the
clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if SWMBO
woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand and
the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for about
$59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

Give Sears a call and tell them the motor was missing. They just might
replace it free of charge. Worth a try anyway.

Always worth a try. I know Delta would do it, and I suspect Sears
would as well. Look at it from their perspective- they've engineered
the product to function a certain way, and if you put the wrong part
in and it doesn't work, it could sour you on the whole line.

P.T.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Silvan

J wrote:

and could hardly keep a straight face. Then I checked in my pockets and
found that I only had $0.45 change after buying coffee. When I arrived at
work people could tell I had been crying. My mascara had run.

ROTFL!!!

After everything I've been through this week, I needed that.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

J wrote:

Funny, same thing happened to a family friend just last week, only it's

not
his tools, but his horses she's selling for .73. Love hath no fury...

In my case she was letting the mares go, but keeping the stallions.

choke I needed that too!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Prometheus wrote:

the product to function a certain way, and if you put the wrong part
in and it doesn't work, it could sour you on the whole line.

Or injure you, and bring about a $378.4 quadrillion class action lawsuit.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

JMartin957

I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the
clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if SWMBO
woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand

and
the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for about
$59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

Give Sears a call and tell them the motor was missing. They just might
replace it free of charge. Worth a try anyway.

P.T.

Tell them the stand was missing, too. And, while you're at it, pull out the
knives and tell them they were missing. That way, you'll have an extra set for
when you send yours out for sharpening.

Might as well commit a major fraud as a minor one.

John Martin
My Old Tools

Damn, I thought fishing season was closed...

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"jerry" wrote in message
I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the
clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if
SWMBO
woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand
and
the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for
about
$59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

Hank Gillette

In article ,
"Swingman" wrote:

Funny, same thing happened to a family friend just last week, only it's not
his tools, but his horses she's selling for .73. Love hath no fury...

So you guys missed out on the $50 Porsche? Too bad.

--
Hank Gillette