Silvan

Default gloat gloat gloat (sort of)

Tax time... A very brief couple of days during which my bank account
balance gets higher than three digits...

The last three tax times in a row, I had to take a pass on the new table saw
I wanted due to reality intervening. This year, reality intervened again,
to the tune of a $1300 bill to get my wisdom teeth cut out, but if I
juggled this, that and the other and held my mouth right, I could *just*
afford $400 for a new saw.

I've been shopping for a long time, looking at every saw I could get my
hands on and kicking the tires. I had settled on a Crapsman for a variety
of reasons that mostly boil down to a price vs. quality compromise. I
visited the saw many times, and couldn't talk myself out of loving it. (I
love my Crapsman drill press too. So what?)

I had been watching the price fluctuate, and was hoping to catch it on sale
when the refund came in. That worked out as I hoped, but when I went to
Sears to pick up my new toy, they were sold out. My heart sank when I saw
the empty spot where the display had been.

They were back ordered until May. I had the option of buying it at the sale
price, plus an extra 10% off, and waiting until May, but I didn't want to
do that. I sighed in resignation and prepared to leave. As I was walking
away, the sales guy told me to wait, and said he thought I could get the
one saw they did have 30% off, putting the price right in line with the one
that got away.

So I got the $579.99 saw for $405. Instead of stamped sheet metal, I got
cast iron (waffle, yes, but still cast iron), a wider overall table, and
all the trivial little minor upgrades, and I only went $5 over budget.
(http://tinyurl.com/27bzm)

I spent a long time putting it together, taking my time and making sure
everything fit just oh so. I was very impressed with how well-packaged it
was, how clear the instructions were, and how well it all fit together.
I've read about people having problems with the rails, but mine went on
perfectly with no trouble. All the hardware was well-packaged, with
nothing missing, and only one extra washer. All in all it beat the crap
out of the last Grizzly product I bought in all these areas. The only
bitchy part was getting rid of all that blasted cosmoline. (And getting it
out of the trunk of my Oldsmobile...)

Why am I gloating about a Crapsman contractor's saw with waffle wings and a
wimpy motor that has been considered by all reviewers to be little better
than a solidly mediocre saw with a better than average fence?

Well, I saved $175 for one thing. That's a big enough chunk of change for
anybody to notice, I should think.

Mostly, however, I'm gloating because I have finally gotten to operate a
real saw. My first and only TS was that Skil 3400 I picked up on
clearance, and I've never had the opportunity to use anything else. Warped
table, sloppy fence, undersized/sloppy miter slots, crappy miter gauge,
gigantic non-standard throat, banshee-like universal motor with a ton of
arbor flop, no angle adjustment wheel, a startling kaWHANG at motor start,
absolutely *horrendous* vibration... It was a saw many of you told me to
turn into a boat anchor long ago.

I haven't even adjusted this Crapsman yet, and I haven't replaced the stock
24T blade, yet it cuts better than my Skil did with my decent quality 50T
Freud. I think once I line it up it's going to do an outstanding job for
me.

Most of all, I can't get over how eriely quiet the thing is. A click, a
little purr, the sound of spinning carbide. If I didn't feed a piece of
wood through it, it wouldn't make enough noise to require hearing
protection. By comparison, that Skil made enough noise to scare people two
houses down.

I'll know more as I come to know the machine, but so far, I'm VERY happy
with it. My only problem is that it's even bigger than the one I planned
to buy, and it's farkin' HUGE in a 10' x 12' shop that already has a mini
lathe, drill press, big workbench, sander/grinder stand, router stand,
scrollsaw stand, and a tool cabinet. I'm going to have to completely
rearrange my shop to get the best possible use out of this thing, but it's
all going to be worth it.

I'm going to make some beyootiful stuff with this thing.

Too bad I'm all out of money for lumber, and it's still way too cold for
glue.

Thanks for listening to me babble. I know a lot of you out there would
never buy a Crapsman anything in a thousand years, and that this is a sorry
excuse for a gloat, but I'm still grinning from ear to ear. This is a NICE
saw to me!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Dave Balderstone

Hey, congrats. I was gonna buy me a real saw last month until the car
ate $500 of the $1000 in the budget. Probably just as well, 'cause last
week it blew an axle and I replaced a flaky bearing at the same time,
for another $660 counting tow bills. (Canuck Bucks, but with the way
the greenback has slid lately we're almost talking real dough!)

I was gonna go for the Delta, the General Int, or the House of Tools
clone (Canwood), but I may now look at the Crapsman again, especially
when they come on sale (really, the only time to buy from Sears) and if
they have one of their "zero percent" financing deals (with the
up-front charge, it works out to about 2 - 2.5%).

Unless JOAT can provide a free plan to turn a Nissan Sentra into a
cabinet saw?

I'm really tired of my Skil 3400... but the little POS doesn't owe me
anything, it's paid for itself.

djb

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?
Alan Bierbaum

Congratulations. I am glad to hear that you finally could swing a decent
saw. I used an older model Craftsman saw for quite a long time with
excellent results (don't know much about the new models). One tip; use a
good rip blade with a low tooth count to keep from bogging it down and keep
the feed rate up. Your 50 tooth blade is kinda high for most ripping on a
lower powered saw. Enjoy.

--
Alan Bierbaum

Web Site: http://www.calanb.com
Recent Project Page: http://www.calanb.com/recent.html
Workbench project: http://www.calanb.com/wbench.html

"Silvan" wrote in message

So I got the $579.99 saw for $405. Instead of stamped sheet metal, I got
cast iron (waffle, yes, but still cast iron), a wider overall table, and
all the trivial little minor upgrades, and I only went $5 over budget.
(http://tinyurl.com/27bzm)

I Why am I gloating about a Crapsman contractor's saw with waffle wings

[...]

Phil Crow

It's like magic, isn't it? When I got my table saw (I upgraded from
circular), it was amazing, to say the least. I felt like Norm or
something. I don't have to sand this edge straight! I did have some
trouble with burning, but I later discovered that my fence was out of
square. I don't even have a "good" blade on my TS and when I make a
good pass (I can do that at least half the time now) I don't need to
sand, plane or scrape the edge. I just love that.

Congrats on the new tool.

-Phil Crow
Swingman

"Silvan" wrote in message

So I got the $579.99 saw for $405. Instead of stamped sheet metal, I got
cast iron (waffle, yes, but still cast iron), a wider overall table, and
all the trivial little minor upgrades, and I only went $5 over budget.

snip

Thanks for listening to me babble. I know a lot of you out there would
never buy a Crapsman anything in a thousand years, and that this is a

sorry
excuse for a gloat, but I'm still grinning from ear to ear. This is a

NICE
saw to me!

Congratulations! It's not the tool, it's the desire in the user. I have a
friend who's a renown acoustic guitarist. In his hands a Silvertone sounds
like a pre-war Martin... you've got it!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

Larry C in Auburn, WA

Congrats!!! Remember, the tool is just to ASSIST you in doing your
woodworking so don't feel like you have to have the top end machine.
Beautiful stuff was made way before the tablesaw was invented. Too many of
us feel we can only do quality work with the best equipment, but in fact
it's our ability that makes the biggest difference. Have a blast with it!

--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Silvan" wrote in message
[...]

Silvan

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Hey, congrats. I was gonna buy me a real saw last month until the car
ate $500 of the $1000 in the budget. Probably just as well, 'cause last

I know how it goes. That's why I bought the saw immediately, in spite of
all the flak I'm taking from relatives for being financially irresponsible.

If I had waited, I'd have found some other compelling reason to spend the
money.

Unless JOAT can provide a free plan to turn a Nissan Sentra into a
cabinet saw?

You have plenty of motor for any kind of blade you want to spin, and it
already has a pulley on the end of the crankshaft. How hard could it
be?

I'm really tired of my Skil 3400... but the little POS doesn't owe me
anything, it's paid for itself.

Mine too, definitely. Best $50 I ever spent without a doubt, but I'm glad I
don't have to use it anymore.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

MG

Congratulations.
What Larry C. wrote reflect my thougts as well.

I am sure that many professional do not have the time to fiddle with
equipment that is less than top notch and for them the cost of quality
machinery must be balanced against productivity, but for amateurs just bein
able to cut straight is a success.

I always liked woodworking but I really got the bug when I built myself a
tablesaw (if you can call it that) by mounting a 7+1/4" Crapman circular
saw, upside down, under a home made table.
There was no fence, I had to clamp a home made fence (L shape). I was
amazed that I could actually make a straight cut in oak. Of course it took
for ever just to position the fence to make ONE cut, but for hobbies I have
more time then money.

When I got a hand me down Crapman contractor saw from my brother, I thought
THAT was a great improvment. 10" saw, and all the controls on external weels
( instead of wing nuts under the table).

The old craftsmans (not a brand name) made beatiful object with simple
tools.

Enjoy your new toy and brag about the things you are going to make.

MG

"Silvan" wrote in message
[...]

J T

Sat, Feb 21, 2004, 11:54pm (EST-1)
(Dave=A0Balderstone) says:
snip Unless JOAT can provide a free plan to turn a Nissan Sentra into
a cabinet saw? snip

Don' need no steenkin' plans. This should be all you need, plus a
big belt, to go around a drive wheel. No prob.
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/ds27.gif

JOAT
Georges Clemenceau supposedly said, "War is too important a matter to be
left to the military". If this is so, it is then obvious that peace is
too precious to be left to politicians.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT
Web Page Update 28 Feb 2004.
Some tunes I like.
http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofal...ESILIKEVOCALS/

Dave Balderstone

In article , J T
wrote:

Don' need no steenkin' plans. This should be all you need, plus a
big belt, to go around a drive wheel. No prob.
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/ds27.gif

That looks like Gramps' tractor.

But there's not much room for an outfeed table...

djb

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?

Morris Dovey

Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , J
T wrote:

Don' need no steenkin' plans. This should be all you need,
plus a big belt, to go around a drive wheel. No prob.
http://www.americanartifacts.com/smma/dragsaw/ds27.gif

That looks like Gramps' tractor.

But there's not much room for an outfeed table...

Don't need no steenking outfeed (or infeed) table. One man on
each side - a third man feeds 'em wood. Swing the wood into the
blade: Zinng! Pitch the piece(s). Repeat.

Two of my neighbors and I put up seven cords of wood between
breakfast and supper with a similar rig (30" blade on an Allis
25) a few years back. Important to keep attention focused on the
job at hand!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:05:23 -0500, Silvan
brought forth from the murky depths:

I had settled on a Crapsman for a variety of reasons that mostly
boil down to a price vs. quality compromise.

out of the trunk of my Oldsmobile...)

You'll never live down this false gloat/troll, Silvy.

And to mention quality in the same sentence with Crapsman
and Oldsmobiles is punishable by firing squad in some
countries nowadays. tsk tsk tsk

Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician!
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
dave in Fairfax

Silvan wrote:
snip of BGEG

Congratulations Silvan!
Dave in Fairfax
Oh yeah, You Suck!
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Dave Balderstone

In article , Morris Dovey
wrote:

Don't need no steenking outfeed (or infeed) table. One man on
each side - a third man feeds 'em wood. Swing the wood into the
blade: Zinng! Pitch the piece(s). Repeat.

That just ain't gonna work on baltic birch ply...

--
Is it time to change my sig line yet?
Luigi Zanasi

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:05:23 -0500, Silvan
scribbled:

snip of Crapsman purchase

Haven't you been on the wreck long enough to know that you're supposed
to save up until you can afford the General 350 or a Unisaw? Nothing
else works properly. You're supposed to use your POS or your teeth
until you can buy a proper saw! Sheesh. Buy the best and only cry
once. :-)

Actually, good on you! I have a friend who builds dog sleds, and he
had been using a Crapsman for years. Sled building does involve some
precision work. He just splurged and got himself a General
International at the local borg.

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

mttt

"Silvan" wrote in message

Thanks for listening to me babble. I know a lot of you out there would
never buy a Crapsman anything in a thousand years, and that this is a

sorry
excuse for a gloat, but I'm still grinning from ear to ear. This is a

NICE
saw to me!

Congratulations!
It ain't the tool - it's what you do with it!
It's a nice saw -- period!

"ahem, cough"
"Testing one, two.. One, two.. Check.. Check.."
"YOU SUCK!"

Silvan

MG wrote:

Enjoy your new toy and brag about the things you are going to make.

First I have to spend another day or two twiddling and tweaking the thing,
looks like. I didn't get the right wing on quite right, and it sticks up a
hair. So that means I get to re-do the rails too maybe. Whee. All this
anal-ness will pay dividends later though.

Then I have to re-arrange my shop rather dramatically to try to make better
use of what little space I have. Where I've got it just isn't going to
work. Amazing how much more imposing the reality of a 48" x 60" footprint
is in the flesh (iron) than on paper.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

You'll never live down this false gloat/troll, Silvy.

I'm going to cover the table with poly to keep it from rusting.

And to mention quality in the same sentence with Crapsman
and Oldsmobiles is punishable by firing squad in some
countries nowadays. tsk tsk tsk

My Oldmobile is almost an antique. Best $3,000 I've ever spent.

As for the saw, give me your address and I'll ship you my old one. Then
everything will suddenly make sense to you.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Silvan

Luigi Zanasi wrote:

Haven't you been on the wreck long enough to know that you're supposed
to save up until you can afford the General 350 or a Unisaw? Nothing
else works properly. You're supposed to use your POS or your teeth
until you can buy a proper saw! Sheesh. Buy the best and only cry
once. :-)

Yeah, that's why I said "sort of."

Oh well. I can't compete with millionaires anyway.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:37:37 -0500, Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

You'll never live down this false gloat/troll, Silvy.

I'm going to cover the table with poly to keep it from rusting.

I just KNEW you wouldn't keep your word on the poly thing.
Damned addicts. I swear...

My Oldmobile is almost an antique. Best $3,000 I've ever spent.

snort

As for the saw, give me your address and I'll ship you my old one. Then
everything will suddenly make sense to you.

It's on my website. I double-dog-dare ya!

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

dave in fairfax

Larry Jaques wrote:
As for the saw, give me your address and I'll ship you my old one. Then
everything will suddenly make sense to you.

It's on my website. I double-dog-dare ya!

Silvan, send it COD, that's an expensive piece of mail. Unless
you can drive it up.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
Silvan

dave in fairfax wrote:

As for the saw, give me your address and I'll ship you my old one. Then
everything will suddenly make sense to you.

It's on my website. I double-dog-dare ya!

Silvan, send it COD, that's an expensive piece of mail. Unless
you can drive it up.

I have no idea where Monsieur Jacques lives, actually.

(Looks at web site... Oregon? OREGON??? My guess was off by 3,000 miles.
Expensive piece of mail indeed.)

Change of plan, Monsieur... You can come get it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:26:00 -0500, Silvan

dave in fairfax wrote:

As for the saw, give me your address and I'll ship you my old one. Then
everything will suddenly make sense to you.

It's on my website. I double-dog-dare ya!

Silvan, send it COD, that's an expensive piece of mail. Unless
you can drive it up.

I have no idea where Monsieur Jacques lives, actually.

(Looks at web site... Oregon? OREGON??? My guess was off by 3,000 miles.
Expensive piece of mail indeed.)

Change of plan, Monsieur... You can come get it.

Why do you think I double-dog-dared ya? bseg

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!
---
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

(Looks at web site... Oregon? OREGON??? My guess was off by 3,000
miles. Expensive piece of mail indeed.)

Change of plan, Monsieur... You can come get it.

Why do you think I double-dog-dared ya? bseg

Yeah, well unless you double triple super duper ultra mega dog dare me, and
then send me a check for the shipping, it isn't going to happen until maybe
the next century or so.

But you're still on!

(It's really a nice saw. Crapsman schmapsman. Call it a Ryobi because
that's what it really is. It's a lot nicer IMHO than the BT-3100, which
just never did float my boat. Maybe I'll use the $175 I saved to get one
of those exhorbitantly expensive TS Aligner Jr. dealies and some wood to
work.)

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

OT gloat =) possibly my lifetime gloat???? crk133 Woodworking 11 January 16th 04 11:50 PM
Gloat contest Knothead Woodworking 14 January 12th 04 12:33 AM
Gloat, gloat, gloat Joe C Woodworking 10 October 24th 03 12:24 AM
Gloat (sort of) 2nd hand craftsman sander, not a steal, but not too bad. Tony D. Woodworking 4 August 13th 03 12:31 AM