Ron R.

Default Vega fence or Accusquare?

I have the Vega and like it very much. A sacrificial board is no
problem. The fence is accurate, strong, and easy to install. I also
put link belts and machined pulleys on the saw which decreased
vibration considerably. I still don't have a "silk purse", but I no
longer have a "sow's ear" either.

Ron

Chuck Hoffman

I've got an old Sears TS that I put a Craftsman extruded aluminum
Align-a-Rip 24/24 fence on for $160. It locks at both ends and has a
T-track on both sides on which you can mount an aux fence, featherboards,
etc. I've got mine aligned so that the total front-to-back error is less
than 5 thousandths. It works well for me, is very secure and cost about
half the price of the brands to which you referred. I've done quite a bit
of ripping and the cuts are dead even, front to back. It does, however,
take a little more care in setup than a front-locking T-square type fence
such as the Biesemeyer.

I'd say my old TS -- which was definitely a rusted sow's ear when I got
it -- is now very nearly made of silk.

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
Any opinions on a Vega fence vs Accusquare for an old sears TS? Can a
sacrificial board be mounted to the Vega?
TIA

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Bob

Get a Vega and yes a sac fence can be added. I got the 50" on my Sears saw.
One of these days soon I am going to sell my Vega which has the 70"
extension with 2 legs included, finger saver, and hold down attachment.
Vegas are extremely accurate and also have a micro adjuster on it. The Vega
is VERY accurate. I just bought a Grizzly G0444Z so I am going to sell my
Sears TS with cast iron wings after I reinstall the old fence. I am going
to sell the Vega and the TS separately.

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
Any opinions on a Vega fence vs Accusquare for an old sears TS? Can a
sacrificial board be mounted to the Vega?
TIA

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I put the Vega 50" on my Jet Contractor's saw and it's great. Dead
accurate, square and very
solid. So much so, that now I'm gonna sell the Jet and get a cabinet saw
to match the fence!
I purchased from Amazon which at the time, had the best price, a $25 off,
and free shipping.
It was quite easy to install and adjust. I think you'll be quite happy
with it.
Cheers,
cc

"Bob" wrote in message
Get a Vega and yes a sac fence can be added. I got the 50" on my Sears
saw.
One of these days soon I am going to sell my Vega which has the 70"
extension with 2 legs included, finger saver, and hold down attachment.
Vegas are extremely accurate and also have a micro adjuster on it. The
Vega
is VERY accurate. I just bought a Grizzly G0444Z so I am going to sell my
Sears TS with cast iron wings after I reinstall the old fence. I am going
to sell the Vega and the TS separately.

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
Any opinions on a Vega fence vs Accusquare for an old sears TS? Can a
sacrificial board be mounted to the Vega?
TIA

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Chuck Hoffman

Steve, Sears used to have a 24/12 Align-a-Rip fence. Don't know if it's
still available.

Truth be told, I had to shorten both my fence rails. My TS has a rod that
carries the splitter and blade guard that protrudes thru the back right
where the rail would be. So I took them to a metal cutting shop and had the
left sides removed. Now I only have 24 inch right rip capability but that
hasn't impacted any of my projects thus far. If I need left rip, I can
always clamp a straghtedge to the table. Seemed a shame to spend $160 for a
24/24 fence and then another $15 to shorten the rails...but it was still a
less costly solution than another brand of fence.

What I did was cut off the rear rail almost directly behind the splitter
(allowing about 1/2 inch for the guard and splitter carrier rod) and the
front rail at the left edge of the main table so it will still pick up the
leftmost mounting bolt. Turns out that shortened both rails by almost
exactly the same amount.

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
Chuck,
I looked at the Craftsman Aligh-a-Rip fence. It looks good except that is
mounts 24 inches (if I remember correctly) to the left as well as right of

the
blade. I only have a about 8 or 10 inches of table to the left of the

blade.
My shop is REAL small and I'm afraid that I'd impale myself on the

protruding
extensions as I walk through the maze of tools.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Mike Marlow

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
. com...
I've got an old Sears TS that I put a Craftsman extruded aluminum
Align-a-Rip 24/24 fence on for $160. It locks at both ends and has a
T-track on both sides on which you can mount an aux fence, featherboards,
etc. I've got mine aligned so that the total front-to-back error is less
than 5 thousandths. It works well for me, is very secure and cost about
half the price of the brands to which you referred. I've done quite a bit
of ripping and the cuts are dead even, front to back. It does, however,
take a little more care in setup than a front-locking T-square type fence
such as the Biesemeyer.

I'll echo the above with the exception that I can't say it takes more care
than a Biesemeyer. Never had a Biesemeyer, so I don't know how they set up.
My Align-A-Rip seems very fast and very accurate to me so it makes me happy.
I the Bies is easier to setup then it must come with a 28 year old brunette
that does the setup for you. That would be a good thing. I'd consider a
Bies for that...

I'd say my old TS -- which was definitely a rusted sow's ear when I got
it -- is now very nearly made of silk.

Likewise, the Align-A-Rip has made my saw something that it never was all of
its life before the new fence. The saw is a good basic tool and a good
fence does make it a very good tool.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

"SteveC1280" wrote in message
Chuck,
I looked at the Craftsman Aligh-a-Rip fence. It looks good except that is
mounts 24 inches (if I remember correctly) to the left as well as right of

the
blade. I only have a about 8 or 10 inches of table to the left of the

blade.
My shop is REAL small and I'm afraid that I'd impale myself on the

protruding
extensions as I walk through the maze of tools.

That's the 24/24. I believe they also make a 12/24 that mounts only 12
inches to the left of the blade.
--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

"Dan" wrote in message
.. .

For a long time I double-checked with a rule to make sure. Then I figured
out that every time I got the measurement wrong, it was with the rule, not
the fence. So now I trust the fence scale. Little dickens is right on,
every time. It's great.

Funny how we're like that, isn't it? My fence set up perfectly at 0 with
the fence just touching the blade and every test cut I made was dead on. I
made a ton of test cuts at all sorts of lengths... BUT, for the longest time
I still measured everything with a tape measure. Don't do that anymore, but
it was something that took a while to get over.
--

-Mike-