Mike Marlow

"Chuck Hoffman" wrote in message
. com...
I've got an old Sears TS that I put a Craftsman extruded aluminum
Align-a-Rip 24/24 fence on for $160. It locks at both ends and has a
T-track on both sides on which you can mount an aux fence, featherboards,
etc. I've got mine aligned so that the total front-to-back error is less
than 5 thousandths. It works well for me, is very secure and cost about
half the price of the brands to which you referred. I've done quite a bit
of ripping and the cuts are dead even, front to back. It does, however,
take a little more care in setup than a front-locking T-square type fence
such as the Biesemeyer.

I'll echo the above with the exception that I can't say it takes more care
than a Biesemeyer. Never had a Biesemeyer, so I don't know how they set up.
My Align-A-Rip seems very fast and very accurate to me so it makes me happy.
I the Bies is easier to setup then it must come with a 28 year old brunette
that does the setup for you. That would be a good thing. I'd consider a
Bies for that...

I'd say my old TS -- which was definitely a rusted sow's ear when I got
it -- is now very nearly made of silk.

Likewise, the Align-A-Rip has made my saw something that it never was all of
its life before the new fence. The saw is a good basic tool and a good
fence does make it a very good tool.

--

-Mike-