Woodchuck

Default Where's Norm's TS spliter

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer I
don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

Bob

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time

consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer

don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

going without some form of splitter is insane. I use the Mesa Vista
splitter with homemade zero tolerance throat plate - small cheap and
effective and unobtrusive.

http://www.grip-tite.com/splitter.html

Bob

Leon

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer I
don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

I use this.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...8 9&sid=AF989

Battleax

"Bob" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time

consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much

longer
don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

going without some form of splitter is insane. I use the Mesa Vista
splitter with homemade zero tolerance throat plate - small cheap and
effective and unobtrusive.

http://www.grip-tite.com/splitter.html

Bob

None of the table saws in my shop have splitters, I've never seen them used
in any cabinet shop.
In all my 37 years of cabinet making I've never found a use for splitters.

Dan

On Sun 21 Nov 2004 07:42:26a, "Woodchuck"
wrote in :

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time
consuming to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For
how much longer I don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

I use a piece of ruler from an old combination square, slighty sharpened at
the infeed side, and a slot cut in the bottom so I can loosen the bolt and
take it out quick when I want to run a dado.

I don't think I've ripcut anything but plywood where I haven't been
thankful that thing is there. I've watched boards come out of a cut and
BEFORE the splitter there's a nice 1/8 kerf, and AFTER the splitter the two
pieces are against each other so tightly you'd think they were clamped.

Dan

Tom Watson

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 08:42:26 -0500, "Woodchuck"
wrote:

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer I
don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

If you want a good deal on an unused splitter, stop by one of the pro
shops in your area.

They are likely to have a number of them sitting around gathering
dust.

Mike Marlow

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time

consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer

don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

I've never used a splitter in 30 some years. I have at times, had to keep
pieces from pinching back together and a splitter would have done that
without my efforts, but those have been relatively few. Some wood can have
a mind of its own and try to close back up after the cut, but it's
manageable in other ways besides a splitter. More often the need for a
splitter is disguising the need for a proper table saw setup, or proper use
of a tablesaw. I don't really have anything against splitters but my saws
have never had one on them and I never installed one. I don't recall there
ever being such a focus on splitters in the past, as there is now. It's
common to hear that you must use a splitter and a guard today, but for
decades people made sawdust without them and those folks are still making it
today. My thoughts are use it if it makes you comfortable, don't use it if
it doesn't. Just don't fall into believing that it's a must or that you are
now safe just because you have the gear installed on your saw. It's still
all about technique and setup. Mask one problem and eventually you'll
discover another one as a result. Usually in a surprising way.
--

-Mike-

Leon

"Battleax" wrote in message

None of the table saws in my shop have splitters, I've never seen them
used
in any cabinet shop.
In all my 37 years of cabinet making I've never found a use for splitters.

I kinda find that hard to believe.
Well it did take me about 25 years to realize the value of a splitter.

George

You do, however, have to be willing to stand aside and let the wood go (or
have a knee-kick ON/OFF) if you go without. No piece of wood is worth a
reach. Been my philosophy on all machines.

Can probably count on my ten fingers the number of times I've had to do that
in over thirty years, and most of them were with true poplar or elm, stuff
that just doesn't behave. I bandsaw that stuff now.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've never used a splitter in 30 some years. I have at times, had to keep
pieces from pinching back together and a splitter would have done that
without my efforts, but those have been relatively few. Some wood can

have
a mind of its own and try to close back up after the cut, but it's
manageable in other ways besides a splitter.

patrick conroy

"Woodchuck" wrote in message

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit.

There are pop-in/pop-out ones to minimize the hassle.

don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

You'll get some who say "I do" and some who say "Pro's don't.".
Well, I'm not a pro. I don't have daily experience with the tools or a slew
of board feet under my belt. Seems to me a splitter's a little bit like a
safety belt. Some wear 'em, some don't. Some folks have accidents with out
them and walk away fine.

But there just might come the day, where you're thankful it was there.
Personally, I need most of my appendages to earn a living.

How about this line of thought: The "cheapening" of power tools has been
hashed to death here. In an age where bean counters hold court on par with
the lawyers, dontcha think the manufacturers would drop them if they felt
they were worthless?

max

I never use guards on my tablesaw but I always use a splitter. The one I use
I made myself and does not have anti kick back teeth. The only thing I care
about is that the wood on the backside of the blade does not move over and
touch the blade. So my splitter is made from 1/8 inch brass stock 3/4 inch
wide and two inches high. It attaches to the single stud behind the blade. I
do have to use a wrench to get it out for dado cuts but I have never had a
kick back with this splitter.
max

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer I
don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

Leon

"patrick conroy" wrote in message

You'll get some who say "I do" and some who say "Pro's don't.".

I'm a pro and use it. Saves me sanding time. The edges of the wood that
likes to move after being cut come out smoother.

Swingman

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time

consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer

don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

It is apparently a well known fact that "pro shops" don't use splitters, and
culturally speaking, we are convinced that all pro's have big pricks and
large cojones, therefore yours will somehow gain "pro" stature if you also
refrain.

What's missing is the fact that most "pro's" learn early the necessity to
physically control the wood throughout the cut, something a weekend
woodworker may not learn, except the hard way.

(it's also amazing how fast your heretofore manly parts shrivel with blood
pouring out of a far removed appendage)

Enter the "well designed" splitter, usually aftermarket, and not the POS
that came with the TS.

It is inarguably a good thing for a weekend wooddorker to use one ... it
may well protect your appendages (as well as those of a "pro" in the throes
of a brain fart) that _one_ time in 40 years of woodworking that it was
needed.

Just get/make one that encourages use by being easy to install and remove,
that stays.in good working order, and that is not so flimsy as to be an
actual danger and therefore better than none.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

patriarch

"Woodchuck" wrote in
:

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time
consuming to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For
how much longer I don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

I use the Delta Removeable splitter that comes with the Overarm Guard,
orderable as a service part for less than $30. I've had several
experiences that remind me to put it in, whenever I'm done with the
crosscut sleds. I also seem to get better results on the materials I use.

However...

One evening last week, while watching an older NYW on the TiVo, my eldest
son was giving me unmitigated crap for 'instructing Norm on technique',
while he built some project or another.

Do things the way that makes you comfortable. Be willing to learn from
others. Smile as you enter, and leave, your workspace.

Patriarch
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:26:39 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

most of them were with true poplar or elm, stuff
that just doesn't behave. I bandsaw that stuff now.

Elm doesn't behave ? I've not much experience with it (thanks to
Dutch elm disease), but our UK elms seem fairly benign.

Do you ever work larch ? Now big rips in larch are where I find the
stuff hotmelt-gluing itself onto the splitter. I'm just glad it's not
the blade.

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one?

My impression was that hardly anyone in the USA used them. Here in
Europe we're beyond splitters and into riving knives.

My own saw just has several inserts. Some have splitters, some are
short ones, some are penetrating splitters with a guard on top.

--
Smert' spamionam
Swingman

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

My impression was that hardly anyone in the USA used them.

I don't think that's true ... I know a number of "pro" woodworkers/cabinet
makers of many years experience and it may surprise you to find that a good
many of them use splitters on their cabinet saws in the shop. And just about
everyone I know with a cabinet saw in their garage/ship uses one.

Where I rarely see a splitter is on a contractor's saws on a job site.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mike Marlow

"Woodchuck" wrote in message

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit.

There are pop-in/pop-out ones to minimize the hassle.

don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

You'll get some who say "I do" and some who say "Pro's don't.".
Well, I'm not a pro. I don't have daily experience with the tools or a

slew
of board feet under my belt. Seems to me a splitter's a little bit like a
safety belt. Some wear 'em, some don't. Some folks have accidents with

out
them and walk away fine.

I'm not trying to persuade for or against the use of them - like I said in
my previous posts, use 'em if you like 'em... but as a side conversation,
these kinds of things seem to take on a life of their own. Certainly, they
come about only because there really is an underlying issue (kickback), and
at some point the solution (splitters) gets introduced. Generally, if the
solution works more than it inhibits, it gains a foothold. After a while it
seems there develops a certain urban legend nature about them. Not that
they don't add value, but the degree of value tends to get exagerated and a
whole generation comes to honestly believe that work can't practically or
safely be done without them. It really does not present such a big problem
for that misunderstanding to exist, so it's not such a big deal, but that
belief is bigger than the reality of the matter. What tends to be forgotten
is that the accident rate associated with these things is not dramatically
different before and after the acceptance of them. But... since they look
like such a good idea what quickly follows is the belief that before the
things came about, everyone was killing and maiming themselves in large
numbers. It does do something of a disservice though if that belief is
perpetuated. It creates a false security in the safety device and can
(note... *can*) result in not learning the more important cause and effect
issues associated with using the tool.

But there just might come the day, where you're thankful it was there.
Personally, I need most of my appendages to earn a living.

How about this line of thought: The "cheapening" of power tools has been
hashed to death here. In an age where bean counters hold court on par with
the lawyers, dontcha think the manufacturers would drop them if they felt
they were worthless?

Not completely. Lots of things are out there today only because of the
public's perceived value. Remember that a big part of manufacturing a
consumer product is producing what the consumer wants. Not that there is
always any good reason for it.
--

-Mike-

Swingman

"Woodchuck" wrote in message ...

It's just too time consuming
to keep it set up and straight

If you're really having trouble keeping your splitter "straight", a damn
good argument can be made that it may well be doing its job.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

George

Our elms are known for their interlocked grain. They shimmer with
transparent finishes, but they're almost impossible to split (wheel hubs),
and unpredictable on rips through quartered figure.

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:26:39 -0500, "George" george@least wrote:

most of them were with true poplar or elm, stuff
that just doesn't behave. I bandsaw that stuff now.

Elm doesn't behave ? I've not much experience with it (thanks to
Dutch elm disease), but our UK elms seem fairly benign.

Do you ever work larch ? Now big rips in larch are where I find the
stuff hotmelt-gluing itself onto the splitter. I'm just glad it's not
the blade.

Battleax

"Leon" wrote in message
om...

"Battleax" wrote in message

None of the table saws in my shop have splitters, I've never seen them
used
in any cabinet shop.
In all my 37 years of cabinet making I've never found a use for

splitters.

I kinda find that hard to believe.
Well it did take me about 25 years to realize the value of a splitter.

If a board I'm ripping starts to close up after the blade I lift it straight
up and toss it into my kindling pile.
It will warp again regardless of how straight you get it with sawing.

Mark Jerde

Woodchuck wrote:
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time
consuming to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For
how much longer I don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

The scars on my left hand from July 2003 remind me to *always* use the
splitter.

-- Mark

loutent

Bought my TS about 16 years ago, and removed the splitter after about a
month or so. Felt it was more hinderance than help - and besides, Norm
never uses one!

If I see the wood closing up even slightly, I power the saw down and
put a little wedge or 10 penny on the cut side. This happens a few
times a year, but I don't use it every day like a pro.

Now, after disclosing this, I will likely get "beaned" on my next cut.

Lou

, Woodchuck
wrote:

I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer I
don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

Mark Jerde

The scars on my left hand from July 2003 remind me to *always* use the
splitter.

Besides, blood seems to cause rust on the TS top as quickly as sweat. ;-)

-- Mark

Bob

"Battleax" wrote in message

None of the table saws in my shop have splitters, I've never seen them

used
in any cabinet shop.
In all my 37 years of cabinet making I've never found a use for splitters.

Are you saying that doing it 37 years makes it right? My brother-in-law who
has been woodworking for 40 years nearly took off three fingers last year
because of a stupid action.

I'm old enough to have stories like yours but never use that as
justification.

Bob

Bob

"Swingman" wrote in message

It is inarguably a good thing for a weekend wooddorker to use one ... it
may well protect your appendages (as well as those of a "pro" in the

throes
of a brain fart) that _one_ time in 40 years of woodworking that it was
needed.

Just get/make one that encourages use by being easy to install and remove,
that stays.in good working order, and that is not so flimsy as to be an
actual danger and therefore better than none.

You gave one of the most rational, calm explanations I've seen. I'd guess
that there are a goodly number of "non-pro" workers in this conference and
your advice applies well to them (and me!). Some guys who are pros seem to
think they have a god-like status in what's right for everyone. The can
take a leap off their pedestal anytime they feel like, as far as I'm
concerned.

Bob

Prometheus

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:53:36 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time

consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer

don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

I have to admit, I took mine off, because it was signifigantly more
dangerous having the cheap one that came with the saw on then it was
running the sucker without it. The problem was that no matter how
much time I spent setting it up carefully, and wrenching the sucker
down, it would invariably move on me, and cause the splitter to jam up
against the end of the stock instead of sliding into the kerf. As far
as I could see, this was not only making extra work for me, but
actually increasing my risk of kickback by shifting the workpiece a
little when it jammed. Perhaps I'll install a different one, or a
riving knife if I can find one for my odd sized table (with it's odd
sized blade insert- thanks, Delta) but it's more likely that I'm just
going to have to continue to use the tool carefully.

[...]

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Dave jackson

I have never seen a splitter/guard on David Marks TS either.
Here's a proposition. I have an older Rockwell contractor special 1 1/2
hp TS. It is used quite a bit and I don't use a splitter or a blade guard.
This may sound crazy to some, but I'm perfectly comfortable running it that
way. On rare occasions, I have cut a board that gets wild and either wants
to spread apart or close together and pinch the blade. Whenever a board has
gotten squirelly, I have been able to put firm pressure against the board
and keep it there, the motor will bog down and i can shut the saw off and
hold it there until the blade stops. HOWEVER, if the saw had, say 3 hp, I
don't think this would be safe, as the motor wouldn't bog down as easily.
In this case, I think a splitter would definitely be warranted. At work, I
use a portable TS regularly. Same situation here-no splitter as it was
integrated into the worthless guard. It's not unusual for construction
lumber to be "case hardened" and get crazy when ripping. That saw will bog
down real easy and will trip the breaker.
That said, and keep in mind I use a TS on a regular basis, I don't feel
a splitter is necessary on lower hp saws. Higher hp saws definitely. BUT,
keep in mind the TS is probably the most dangerous tool in the shop. If you
are somewhat skittish running your saw by all means, get a splitter and use
your guard. Ultimately, it's your fingers, and how comfortable you are
having them around a spinning blade. --dave

..
"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer I
don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

Leon

"Dave jackson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have never seen a splitter/guard on David Marks TS either.

I do not use a splitter to prevent kick back rather to insure that the edge
of the wood comes out smoother. I do see Norm and David Marks ripping wood
and the tell tale burn marks on the edge of the wood on occasion.

Here's a proposition. I have an older Rockwell contractor special 1
1/2 hp TS. It is used quite a bit and I don't use a splitter or a blade
guard. This may sound crazy to some, but I'm perfectly comfortable running
it that way. On rare occasions, I have cut a board that gets wild and
either wants to spread apart or close together and pinch the blade.
Whenever a board has gotten squirelly, I have been able to put firm
pressure against the board and keep it there, the motor will bog down and
i can shut the saw off and hold it there until the blade stops. HOWEVER,
if the saw had, say 3 hp, I don't think this would be safe, as the motor
wouldn't bog down as easily.

I have used both a 1 hp and a 3 hp cabinet extensively with both tuned to
cut well. I fear the lower powered saw and kick back much more than the
higher powered saw. With that statement, I always hold the wood down
securely while cutting and find that on the occasions when the wood seems
to want to bind the higher power saw simply cuts through the wood rather
than slow down and get hung up on the wood and increasing the chance of the
wood being thrown back at me. This situation is when squaring up cabinet
doors and not using a splitter.
IF you do not securely hold your wood down the 3hp very well may throw back
harder but I would suspect that technique is a bigger problem.

.
"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time
consuming to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how
much longer I don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

Tom Watson

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:35:06 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time

consuming
to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how much longer

don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?

It is apparently a well known fact that "pro shops" don't use splitters, and
culturally speaking, we are convinced that all pro's have big pricks and
large cojones, therefore yours will somehow gain "pro" stature if you also
refrain.

What's missing is the fact that most "pro's" learn early the necessity to
physically control the wood throughout the cut, something a weekend
woodworker may not learn, except the hard way.

I've probably been in a couple of dozen shops over the last thirty
five plus years that would be considered pro shops and used a ten inch
tablesaw somewhere in their operations. In some cases, like mine, it
was the primary sawing tool in the shop and in the others it was a
much used secondary tool because those shops used sliders as the
primary.

I honestly can't recall any instances where the guard and splitter
that came with the saw were in use. In those cases where a guard was
used, it was usually the type that provided dust extraction,
particularly in shops where a lot of MDF was cut; and it was
positioned so that the blade could be clearly seen during the cut. In
other words, it was not acting as a guard.

I can't speak to the size of their pricks and this is surely a topic
for another thread - if not another newsgroup.

They were/are, without exception, deca-digital wooddorkers.

The reasoning behind throwing away the OEM splitter/guard is almost
always the same:

1. The OEM splitter/guards are poorly designed rubbish.
2. The operator wants to see the blade and the area immediately
before and after the cut, so that he can react to what happens during
the cutting operation.
3. The operator wants to deal with the wood, the blade and the
fence - without other variables being introduced by the alleged safety
devices.

That said, there are a number of caveats that must be explored in
order to account for these pros continued ability to count to ten
without recourse to their pedestrial appendages.

Stock Preparation:

When I worked as a carpenter I would often see a future organ donor
try to feed a twisted, bowed, crooked, waney-edged piece of material
into the angry part of a poorly set up, underpowered, dull-bladed
widow maker of a machine that could only be called a tablesaw by
analogy.

These were the sorts who eventually wound up trying, ineffectively,
to clear nasal blockages with a phantom limblet.

The pro would avail himself of those tools which would render the
stock into a condition where it is fit to be fed into the saw, ie:
with a flat face produced on the jointer or careful use of the
thicknesser; with the faces planed parallel, the edges trued straight
on the jointer, and the twist eliminated or ameliorated via jointer or
cross cutting of the stock to eliminate the worst of the twist.

Anything less than this is Sawicide.

Artful Dodging And The Careful Management Of Fear:

"Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total
obliteration." Frank Herbert.

The pro who seeks to protect his continued ability to disseminate
inseminating solutions never stands in a direct line with a potential
projectile. He stands to the side and addresses his saw with respect,
but without fear. Standing in the possible path of a piece of ash
that might be propelled towards the famous Italian Airline
(Gen-Italia) at a speed governed by a c. 3450 rpm, 3hp motor is an
exercise in Darwinism.

Fear and Foolish Inattention are what gets most infrequent users of
the tablesaw injured. Let us now explore Fear - Foolish Inattention
comes later.

I've seen them push the wood into the sawblade without sufficient
downward pressure on the table or sideward pressure on the fence -
this is the greatest cause of kickback. They proceed in a tentative
fashion and their fear is the cause of the feared result. It is as
though they do not want to commit the aligned force of their hand and
body pressure towards the spinning amputator - and this is good - to a
degree.

The solution is to be a student of the Bee Sting Theory.

The Bee Sting Theory states that: "One should never push on a piece
of material in such a way that - if a bee stung them on the ass - any
body part would naturally move towards the amputator."

The downward force is applied well prior to the intersection of the
blade and the material, as is the side pressure; and this pressure is
always applied in such a way and at such an angle to the amputator as
to make the body parts unavailable to the amputator under conditions
of surprisingly stressful events, ie: bee stings, earthquakes, naked
women springing quickly and unexpectedly into the field of vision,
etc.

Ahem...

Although the pro may adjust the height of the blade to project above
the material to various heights, in order to gain the advantages of
blade/tooth geometry - I would not recommend that an inexperienced
user do this. This user should only allow the teeth to barely stand
proud of the material - and he should do all of his cutting this way
until he is used to how the saw and the wood react.

When he gets used to cutting, his fear will leave him - but his
respect should remain.

Useful Appliances And Their Result In Use:

Although most small shop pros may eschew the use of the OEM alleged
safety devices, this is not to say that they use no safety devices at
all.

To whit:

They often make use of hold downs and feather boards. It is always
the case when I am attempting a glue line rip and is most often the
case in repetitive rips that pros use hold downs and featherboards.

These devices provide safety in the regard of appropriate pressure in
the appropriate direction, as well as providing a superior cut. They
also do this for you without occluding your line of sight to the blade
- a great benefit.

Deca-digital professionals also make constant use of push sticks. My
personal favorite is a 1/2" thk simulacrum of a female leg (magic
markered in replication of mesh stockings is optional in most shops,
but required in mine), with a spiked heel at the end to encompass the
woody material - ymmv on this.

On stock of such width as to make use of the GamStick (tm TW)
impractical, I resort to the use of an icepick. This is an old
patternmaker's trick but provides enhanced enjoyment to Kubrick fans.

Foolish Inattention:

This category begins with sawblades. Not to put too fine a point on
it, but - combo blades suck.

If you are going to do much ripping on the tablesaw you need to get a
ripping blade. Some ripping blades will give a rough cut but a good
glue line ripping blade will provide a wonderfully smooth surface,
suitable for glue ups without further treatment on the jointer.

Using the wrong blade for ripping results in a kerf that is too small
to assist in the prevention of kickback.

You must also be attentive to your saw setup. The blade must be
parallel to the fence. The blade should not toe in or out.

The blade must be parallel to the fence.
The blade must be parallel to the fence.
The blade must be parallel to the fence.
The blade must be parallel to the fence.
The blade must be parallel to the fence.

Can I get an Amen!

Properly prepared stock in a saw that is properly set up, with a blade
of the proper type, operated by someone who respects the saw without
fearing it, will result in safe cuts - with the following provisos:

Understand Your Stock:

During the process of stock preparation you should have discovered a
good deal about the properties of your material. You should be able
to determine the grain direction along the proposed cut line and you
should be able to see if you are dealing with reaction wood, rather
than mild stock.

I like to feed wood into the ripping blade with the same attention to
grain direction and slope as I would use with when feeding the
thicknesser or the jointer.

By being mindful of this you can eliminate the production of pointy-
sticks-headed-towards-your-nether-regions to a great degree, as well
as keeping at bay the explosive surprises contained within some highly
figured and interlocked-grained woods.

Don't Be Stupid:

If a piece breaks off between the blade and the fence - shut the saw
down.

If the blade starts to bind on your material, even though you have
taken all of the above precautions - shut the saw down.

If someone walks into your shop while you are ripping, because you
foolishly neglected to lock the doors - shut the saw down.

If the song on the 400hp shop music device is sounding so good to you
that you start to get Happy Feet - shut the saw down.

If you decide that you would like to have the first Pina Colada of the
day in the middle of a rip - shut the saw down.

Remember - Be Like The Pros

Because Pro-made

Is Better Than

Ho-made

and much safer.

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker, ret.
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Swingman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote:

[...]

Yabbut, you left out the pertinent part of my post:

Enter the "well designed" splitter, usually aftermarket, and not the POS
that came with the TS.

It is inarguably a good thing for a weekend wooddorker to use one ... it
may well protect your appendages (as well as those of a "pro" in the

throes
of a brain fart) that _one_ time in 40 years of woodworking that it was
needed.

Just get/make one that encourages use by being easy to install and remove,
that stays.in good working order, and that is not so flimsy as to be an
actual danger and therefore better than none.

Got a kid just old enough to be in the shop?

If so, there's a damn good way to dipstick your level of commitment to NOT
using safety devices like splitters and guards. Put your non "pro" loved one
_alone_ in the shop with 100 bf of lumber to cut, then think real hard
beforehand whether to use splitters and blade guards, or not.

You will then know, at gut level, the strength of your commitment.

Most of us, while not foolish all the time, will do a foolish thing now and
again ... and that's when we, and even the "pro's", need all the help we can
get to remain unscathed.

Besides, why not?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Tom Watson

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:31:58 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Got a kid just old enough to be in the shop?

If so, there's a damn good way to dipstick your level of commitment to NOT
using safety devices like splitters and guards. Put your non "pro" loved one
_alone_ in the shop with 100 bf of lumber to cut, then think real hard
beforehand whether to use splitters and blade guards, or not.

You will then know, at gut level, the strength of your commitment.

You started out with turning it into a dick measuring contest and now
you've moved on to child abuse.

Congratulations.

The point, which you have so deftly ignored, is that it is your brain
that must be your primary safety device.

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker, ret.
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:31:58 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Got a kid just old enough to be in the shop?

Only if they've finished sweeping the chimneys from the insides.
And Daisy the cow probably needs reaming again too. No playing with
the hazardous tools until they've done their chores.

We're too soft on our kids. Prince Charles is right. Teach 'em some
respect for the machinery.

Swingman

"Swingman" wrote:

Got a kid just old enough to be in the shop?

If so, there's a damn good way to dipstick your level of commitment to

NOT
using safety devices like splitters and guards. Put your non "pro" loved

one
_alone_ in the shop with 100 bf of lumber to cut, then think real hard
beforehand whether to use splitters and blade guards, or not.

You will then know, at gut level, the strength of your commitment.

You started out with turning it into a dick measuring contest and now
you've moved on to child abuse.

Congratulations.

LOL!

So, answer the question. Would you insist that your own kid use a splitter
and blade guard until they were old enough to make up their own mind?

The point, which you have so deftly ignored, is that it is your brain
that must be your primary safety device.

Quite the contrary ... considering some using tools these days, ignoring any
safety devices is arguably the product of a disengaged brain. You forget
what century you're in? ... there ain't no more shop classes in junior high
school.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Mike Marlow

"Swingman" wrote:

Got a kid just old enough to be in the shop?

If so, there's a damn good way to dipstick your level of commitment to

NOT
using safety devices like splitters and guards. Put your non "pro" loved

one
_alone_ in the shop with 100 bf of lumber to cut, then think real hard
beforehand whether to use splitters and blade guards, or not.

You will then know, at gut level, the strength of your commitment.

You started out with turning it into a dick measuring contest and now
you've moved on to child abuse.

Congratulations.

The point, which you have so deftly ignored, is that it is your brain
that must be your primary safety device.

I never saw Swingman's original response, so I'll tag on Tom's to address
Swingman. That's just an absolutely foolish position and one that speaks to
open mouth before engaging brain. It is in fact the blind reliance on what
is purported to be a safety device rather than relying on proper safety.
Your implied logic Swingman is likely what causes the near accidents that
you credit the "safety" devices for having prevented becoming full fledged
disasters. A little practical thought and you can completely avoid most of
what you spread as fear-uncertainty-and doubt when it comes to proper and
safe use of tools.

In short - when I allowed my kids to use the power tools it was only after
they had worked for a long time with me in the shop. In the beginning they
were just helping hold things or were just sort of around the shop. They
began their indoctrination process by seeing the way things are safely done,
coupled with a bit of explanation. As they showed interest in using tools
they received a lot more instruction. They also received a lot of
demonstrations, and a lot of help. Lo and behold in no time at all they
were pretty well qualified to use my tools on their own at early ages. It
didn't take a lot of time and effort to get them to this point and they
actually understand the tools. That makes for a far more educated and
qualified operator than one who relies on scare tactics.

Know your tools, not just marketing and newsgroup claims.
--

-Mike-

Ba r r y

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 17:00:10 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

You started out with turning it into a dick measuring contest

Dicks and tablesaws in the same post make me shudder.

Barry
Mark Jerde

Ba r r y wrote:

You started out with turning it into a dick measuring contest

Dicks and tablesaws in the same post make me shudder.

ROTFL!

-- Mark

Mike Marlow

"Dave Jackson" wrote in message
ink.net...

Just the opposite here. My TS has older 50" vega fence that has very

slight
concave over the legnth. Just enough to make glue joints have a

noticeable
gap. Light pass over jointer fixes this. In fact, i've been toying with
the idea of running my TS fence through the jointer at super light setting
to fix the fence problem. Sounds crazy, but may work. I'm just waiting
until the jointer blades are close to needing replaced to do the
deed. --dave

Ouch! Why not use a long board and sandpaper glued to it to flatten it
down? Much more controllable and surely less aggravating to your jointer
knives.
--

-Mike-

Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

I never saw Swingman's original response, so I'll tag on Tom's to address
Swingman. That's just an absolutely foolish position and one that speaks

open mouth before engaging brain.

Since you admittedly didn't read my original post, _you_ are the one
speaking out of ignorance, with brain disengaged.

In short - when I allowed my kids to use the power tools it was only after
they had worked for a long time with me in the shop.

Without safety devices like splitters and blade guard? Answer the question
.... do you insist that your children use such safety devices on the table
saw?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04