Leon

"Dave jackson" wrote in message
ink.net...
I have never seen a splitter/guard on David Marks TS either.

I do not use a splitter to prevent kick back rather to insure that the edge
of the wood comes out smoother. I do see Norm and David Marks ripping wood
and the tell tale burn marks on the edge of the wood on occasion.

Here's a proposition. I have an older Rockwell contractor special 1
1/2 hp TS. It is used quite a bit and I don't use a splitter or a blade
guard. This may sound crazy to some, but I'm perfectly comfortable running
it that way. On rare occasions, I have cut a board that gets wild and
either wants to spread apart or close together and pinch the blade.
Whenever a board has gotten squirelly, I have been able to put firm
pressure against the board and keep it there, the motor will bog down and
i can shut the saw off and hold it there until the blade stops. HOWEVER,
if the saw had, say 3 hp, I don't think this would be safe, as the motor
wouldn't bog down as easily.

I have used both a 1 hp and a 3 hp cabinet extensively with both tuned to
cut well. I fear the lower powered saw and kick back much more than the
higher powered saw. With that statement, I always hold the wood down
securely while cutting and find that on the occasions when the wood seems
to want to bind the higher power saw simply cuts through the wood rather
than slow down and get hung up on the wood and increasing the chance of the
wood being thrown back at me. This situation is when squaring up cabinet
doors and not using a splitter.
IF you do not securely hold your wood down the 3hp very well may throw back
harder but I would suspect that technique is a bigger problem.

In this case, I think a splitter would definitely be warranted. At work,
I use a portable TS regularly. Same situation here-no splitter as it was
integrated into the worthless guard. It's not unusual for construction
lumber to be "case hardened" and get crazy when ripping. That saw will
bog down real easy and will trip the breaker.
That said, and keep in mind I use a TS on a regular basis, I don't feel
a splitter is necessary on lower hp saws. Higher hp saws definitely. BUT,
keep in mind the TS is probably the most dangerous tool in the shop. If
you are somewhat skittish running your saw by all means, get a splitter
and use your guard. Ultimately, it's your fingers, and how comfortable
you are having them around a spinning blade. --dave

.
"Woodchuck" wrote in message
I been watching for awhile and he never uses one? I find on my TS the
splitter can be more of a hassle then benefit. It's just too time
consuming to keep it set up and straight... but I still use it. For how
much longer I don't know. Who uses it, and who doesn't, and why?