Mike Marlow

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:31:58 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

Got a kid just old enough to be in the shop?

If so, there's a damn good way to dipstick your level of commitment to

NOT
using safety devices like splitters and guards. Put your non "pro" loved

one
_alone_ in the shop with 100 bf of lumber to cut, then think real hard
beforehand whether to use splitters and blade guards, or not.

You will then know, at gut level, the strength of your commitment.

You started out with turning it into a dick measuring contest and now
you've moved on to child abuse.

Congratulations.

The point, which you have so deftly ignored, is that it is your brain
that must be your primary safety device.

I never saw Swingman's original response, so I'll tag on Tom's to address
Swingman. That's just an absolutely foolish position and one that speaks to
open mouth before engaging brain. It is in fact the blind reliance on what
is purported to be a safety device rather than relying on proper safety.
Your implied logic Swingman is likely what causes the near accidents that
you credit the "safety" devices for having prevented becoming full fledged
disasters. A little practical thought and you can completely avoid most of
what you spread as fear-uncertainty-and doubt when it comes to proper and
safe use of tools.

In short - when I allowed my kids to use the power tools it was only after
they had worked for a long time with me in the shop. In the beginning they
were just helping hold things or were just sort of around the shop. They
began their indoctrination process by seeing the way things are safely done,
coupled with a bit of explanation. As they showed interest in using tools
they received a lot more instruction. They also received a lot of
demonstrations, and a lot of help. Lo and behold in no time at all they
were pretty well qualified to use my tools on their own at early ages. It
didn't take a lot of time and effort to get them to this point and they
actually understand the tools. That makes for a far more educated and
qualified operator than one who relies on scare tactics.

Know your tools, not just marketing and newsgroup claims.
--

-Mike-