Tom Watson

Default The Four-Fold Noble Truths Of WoodDorking

1. If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way,
you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

3. Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.

4. Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior
applications.
Prometheus

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:36:06 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

1. If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way,
you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

3. Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.

4. Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior
applications.

Hmm.... basically good sentiments, but it might be better following
the form you named it after- try this:

There is WoodDorking. WoodDorking should be understood. WoodDorking
has been understood.

There is the origin of WoodDorking. WoodDorking is caused by the
desire to make sawdust. Sawdust should be produced. Sawdust has been
produced.
(*note- neanders should substitute "shavings" for sawdust :P)

There are tools which create sawdust. Tools should be purchased.
Tools have been purchased.

There is the eight-fold path to WoodDorking, in the pursuit of
creating sawdust. This path should be developed. This path has been
developed.

The eight-fold path of WoodDorking:

Right Projects
Right Planning
Right Joinery
Right Tooling
Right Shaping
Right Technique
Right Preparation
Right Finish

Then you've got all the room for tips and tricks you like in the
sub-categories and commentary!
Ed Clarke

In article , Tom Watson wrote:

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

Just as a horrified spectator, I'd like to see you stain white oak
and make it look like cherry. You'd be sort of like those biologists
who grew a human ear on a mouse.

http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence...o/zoom_03.html

Tom Watson

On 29 Oct 2004 11:44:46 GMT, Ed Clarke wrote:

In article , Tom Watson wrote:

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

Just as a horrified spectator, I'd like to see you stain white oak
and make it look like cherry. You'd be sort of like those biologists
who grew a human ear on a mouse.

http://tlc.discovery.com/convergence...o/zoom_03.html

oak ain't a whitewood

David Hall

Tom Watson wrote in message . ..
1. If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way,
you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

3. Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.

4. Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior
applications.

I have to admit that as far as I can tell you are holding quite well
to your vow of non-politicalness postings. I guess the several
rambling troll-like posting like the one above is due to some sort of
withdrawal symptoms. Kinda like methadone?

Good luck, only a few days left.

Dave Hall

Paul Kierstead

In article ,
Tom Watson wrote:

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

Gotta disagree pretty strongly. I would say that all whitewoods can be
stained to look like the cherry you get at your local furniture store,
probably because said furniture is whitewood stained to look like
cherry. The real deal, nicely oiled (I love Tried and True) and aged a
bit, has a richness and beauty that isn't even touched by staining. Of
course, even quite a bit of real cherry furniture is stained for
consistent colour and to make it darker and that stuff as well is pretty
close to universally horrid.

PK
Never Enough Money

I can't beat the reply post from Prometheus (the 8 fold path and all
that). However, I have some of my own Laws of Woodworking....

1. If you save you money to buy an expensive tool, as soon as you buy
the tool you'll need that money for an unexpected car repair.
2. "Measure twice, cut once" only applies to the test piece. It also
only applies if you're using Starrett. Otherwise, measure many more
times, always use the same edge on the same rule, etc. In fact, just
go buy Starrett.
3. As soon as you design and build a piece, Fine Woodworking will
publish an article that show you how and it'll be better, too.
4. When you buy the best of what is available, a new model will be
introduced that's even better.
7. As soon as the carcass is finishes, you'll have pangs of remorse
for not building it slightly different.
8. When you have a SWMBO, every tool costs double. The price you pay
the retailer and the commeasuaret gift you buy the SWMBO.
9. You will always be one clamp short.
10. The more enjoyable the furniture project, the more urgent house
repairs pop up.
11. If you want to give a piece as a gift on such-and-such date, your
employer will ask you to make a business trip 3 days prior.
12. Your shop will never be nice enough and folks on rec.woodworking
will post pictures of theirs that make you feel inferior. That's when
you seek "retail therapy" by going out to buy a new sexy tool to make
you feel better. After which you recall NEM's Laws of Woodworking #1
ans #8.

JM2C - Never Enough Money

Tom Watson wrote in message . ..
1. If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way,
you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

3. Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.

4. Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior
applications.

Al Reid

"Never Enough Money" wrote in message om...
[...]

I can't disagree with any of your points. However, I have found that the trick here is to buy the new toy, I mean tool, to make a
present for SHMBU. Kill two stones with one birdg

9. You will always be one clamp short.
10. The more enjoyable the furniture project, the more urgent house
repairs pop up.
11. If you want to give a piece as a gift on such-and-such date, your
employer will ask you to make a business trip 3 days prior.
12. Your shop will never be nice enough and folks on rec.woodworking
will post pictures of theirs that make you feel inferior. That's when
you seek "retail therapy" by going out to buy a new sexy tool to make
you feel better. After which you recall NEM's Laws of Woodworking #1
ans #8.

Tom Watson

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:11:38 -0400, Paul Kierstead
wrote:

In article ,
Tom Watson wrote:

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

Gotta disagree pretty strongly. I would say that all whitewoods can be
stained to look like the cherry you get at your local furniture store,
probably because said furniture is whitewood stained to look like
cherry. The real deal, nicely oiled (I love Tried and True) and aged a
bit, has a richness and beauty that isn't even touched by staining. Of
course, even quite a bit of real cherry furniture is stained for
consistent colour and to make it darker and that stuff as well is pretty
close to universally horrid.

PK

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page32.htm

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

wrote:

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

But how do I stain mahogony so it looks like MDF?

Tim Douglass

On 29 Oct 2004 06:22:18 -0700, (Never Enough
Money) wrote:

I can't beat the reply post from Prometheus (the 8 fold path and all
that). However, I have some of my own Laws of Woodworking....

1. If you save you money to buy an expensive tool, as soon as you buy
the tool you'll need that money for an unexpected car repair.

Man, aint that the truth!

2. "Measure twice, cut once" only applies to the test piece. It also
only applies if you're using Starrett. Otherwise, measure many more
times, always use the same edge on the same rule, etc. In fact, just
go buy Starrett.

See #1, no way anything Starrett is likely to make it into my shop
until I have a much more reliable vehicle.

3. As soon as you design and build a piece, Fine Woodworking will
publish an article that show you how and it'll be better, too.

Nothing I do is of any particular interest to Fine Woodworking. I only
read it because real porn is too expensive. I have never seen
pineywood pukey ducks in FWW.

4. When you buy the best of what is available, a new model will be
introduced that's even better.

I'll get back to you on this if I ever can actually afford to get the
best of what's available.

7. As soon as the carcass is finishes, you'll have pangs of remorse
for not building it slightly different.

Why wait that long? I usually start the remorse as soon as I buy the
lumber. From that point forward each step is ridden with angst over
what might have been done differently.

8. When you have a SWMBO, every tool costs double. The price you pay
the retailer and the commeasuaret gift you buy the SWMBO.

It may be cheaper to find a new SWMBO, ya think?

9. You will always be one clamp short.

I've often been told that I was one clamp short of a project.

10. The more enjoyable the furniture project, the more urgent house
repairs pop up.

You actually manage to get to furniture projects?

11. If you want to give a piece as a gift on such-and-such date, your
employer will ask you to make a business trip 3 days prior.

Doesn't really matter, you still wouldn't have the finish on it even
if you stayed home.

12. Your shop will never be nice enough and folks on rec.woodworking
will post pictures of theirs that make you feel inferior. That's when
you seek "retail therapy" by going out to buy a new sexy tool to make
you feel better. After which you recall NEM's Laws of Woodworking #1
ans #8.

I feel the urge to post some pictures of my shop.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Ba r r y

wrote:

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

But how do I stain mahogony so it looks like MDF?

BIN, then Latex! G

Barry
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:36:06 -0400, Tom Watson
calmly ranted:

1. If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way,
you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

3. Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.

4. Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior
applications.

OK, Tawm. You win the Blob Villa Clone Award for today.
Pick it up at Searz on your way home from your psychiatrist.

--
"Given the low level of competence among politicians,
every American should become a Libertarian."
-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

Tom Watson

FYITH

David Hall

Tom Watson wrote in message . ..
On 29 Oct 2004 05:53:36 -0700, (David Hall)
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote in message . ..
1. If you use the right blade and set your saw up the right way,
you don't need a jointer to create glue-line joints.

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

3. Sanding looks as good as planing, if it's done properly.

4. Poly holds up better than anything else in exterior
applications.

I have to admit that as far as I can tell you are holding quite well
to your vow of non-politicalness postings. I guess the several
rambling troll-like posting like the one above is due to some sort of
withdrawal symptoms. Kinda like methadone?

Good luck, only a few days left.

Dave Hall

Actually it was a summary of several recent thread topics.

Of course, they were on woodworking, so you might have missed them.

Actually I saw and read them all and I noted that your summary was the
antithisis (sp?) of your apparent position with respect to each of
these threads as well as the opposite of what all "good" woodworkers
are supposed to believe. Therefore I must assume that you were hoping
to stir up a few folks or garner a few comments or just be a little
ornery (i.e. a little harmless trolling). I actually like that about
you. I do assume from the inferred "tone" of your response that you
thought that I was somehow chastising you, but nothing could be
further from the truth. I enjoyed the original post and its (inferred)
intent and I was originally doubtful as to whether you could stay out
of the political threads through 11-2 as you seem to enjoy them (as I
do). But, take it as you like.

Dave Hall
Dave Balderstone

In article , Never
Enough Money wrote:

9. You will always be one clamp short.

Finally. Someone mentions clamps.

Well done.

;-)
Andy Dingley

In article , Tom Watson wrote:

2. All whitewoods can be stained to look like cherry.

Just as a horrified spectator, I'd like to see you stain white oak
You'd be sort of like those biologists who grew a human ear on a mouse.

Grrrr!!!!

They didn't "grow an ear on a mouse". They moulded an ear with a new
cartilage-forming technique. Then they stored it on an
immunosuppressed mouse whilst they grew some more skin over it.

Describing this in terms of, "Dr Frankenstein, the mice are sprouting
ears !" is like claiming that you can turn white deal into cabinetry
timber by slapping it with a coat of something wood-coloured.
--
Smert' spamionam
TWS

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page32.htm

I sure hope you don't sell those whirligigs 'cause I might just have
to get me one...

ROTFL

TWS
http://tomstudwell.com/allprojects.htm

Dan Cullimore

Money) wrote:

[...]

At this very spot I bust a gut...

10. The more enjoyable the furniture project, the more urgent house
repairs pop up.

You actually manage to get to furniture projects?

11. If you want to give a piece as a gift on such-and-such date, your
employer will ask you to make a business trip 3 days prior.

Doesn't really matter, you still wouldn't have the finish on it even
if you stayed home.

12. Your shop will never be nice enough and folks on rec.woodworking
will post pictures of theirs that make you feel inferior. That's when
you seek "retail therapy" by going out to buy a new sexy tool to make
you feel better. After which you recall NEM's Laws of Woodworking #1
ans #8.

I feel the urge to post some pictures of my shop.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

You just lust after your neighbor's jointer/LV low-angle block
plane/unisaw...can this be such a sin?

Dan
Tom Watson

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 00:59:42 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

...claiming that you can turn white deal into cabinetry
timber by slapping it with a coat of something wood-coloured.

It's more of an economic remedy, than an aesthetic one.

It is a useful cure for those who have cherry taste and a beer budget.

Mike Girouard

(Never Enough Money) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Don't forget the woodworkers' motto: "Cut to shape - Pound to fit!"

FoggyTown
Paul Kierstead

In article ,
Tom Watson wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page32.htm

Now I will admit that that looks like the right color (and quite lovely
incidentally) which most people don't even seem to get right, they seem
to believe all cherry should look like it has been been in someone
parlour for 100 years. However, color is not the only thing that makes
it cherry; you have to have the grain too. But very nice work; I would
be very happy to have it in my house (my fireplace is very boring);
cherry or not it is quite lovely.

PK
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 07:33:19 -0400, Tom Watson
calmly ranted:

wrote:

...claiming that you can turn white deal into cabinetry
timber by slapping it with a coat of something wood-coloured.

It's more of an economic remedy, than an aesthetic one.

It is a useful cure for those who have cherry taste and a beer budget.

I believe you misspelled "no taste" there, Tawm.

-- Charley Reese, Alameda Times-Star (California), June 17, 2003

Andy Dingley

wrote:

It is a useful cure for those who have cherry taste and a beer budget.

Most of those people wouldn't know cherry unless it was sat on a
cocktail stick with an umbrella on top.

Last week I was asked for something in the "shaker oak" style. B&Q
(our Borg) have a TV advertising campaign for their ugly kitchen
boxes, described as being in this "style". Now the muppets are asking
for it, as if it has a couple of centuries of tradition behind it.

This weekend I'm watching the first two series of "Black Books" on
DVD. It should be required therapy for anyone who has to deal with any
sort of retail customer.

"You want cherry ? What colour's that ? Purpley-red sort of
colour, aren't they slap, splash. Look, there you are - it's cherry
coloured. Now push off"

Andy Dingley

wrote:

But how do I stain mahogony so it looks like MDF?

BTDT.

I was trying to fake Cotswold stonework. This involved some fine
carving of gothic tracery, and timber that wasn't admittedly much to
look at, but was capable of taking detailed carving work.

Then I applied a carefully prepared fake-stone textured spackle, and a
couple of hand-painted watercolour washes to get the exact hue of the
stone. Took it to Bath Abbey, placed it on the original stone and it
practically disappeared. Perfection !

Went back to the workshop. Sat it next to the 5 minute prototype I'd
banged out from MDF and a router bit. From six feet I couldn't tell
them apart.

Silvan

Never Enough Money wrote:

I can't beat the reply post from Prometheus (the 8 fold path and all
that). However, I have some of my own Laws of Woodworking....

Some wise words indeed brother NEM.

8. When you have a SWMBO, every tool costs double. The price you pay
the retailer and the commeasuaret gift you buy the SWMBO.

Especially this one. It's so painful too. New table saw = new stupid,
useless piece of shiny metal with some rocks stuck in it. No moving parts,
no plug, no blades or bearing surfaces. How useless.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
patriarch

Tom Watson wrote in
:

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page32.htm

I particularly like the whirlygig!

(The mantel ain't bad, either.)

Patriarch
Tom Watson

wrote:

is like claiming that you can turn white deal into cabinetry
timber by slapping it with a coat of something wood-coloured.

Andy:

Take a look at the message I just posted that begins, "Which Is
Witch..."

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Tom Watson

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:00:09 -0400, Paul Kierstead
wrote:

In article ,
Tom Watson wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page32.htm

Now I will admit that that looks like the right color (and quite lovely
incidentally) which most people don't even seem to get right, they seem
to believe all cherry should look like it has been been in someone
parlour for 100 years. However, color is not the only thing that makes
it cherry; you have to have the grain too. But very nice work; I would
be very happy to have it in my house (my fireplace is very boring);
cherry or not it is quite lovely.

PK

Paul:

Take a look at the message I just posted that starts, "Which Is