Dan Cullimore

Tim Douglass wrote in message . ..
On 29 Oct 2004 06:22:18 -0700, (Never Enough
Money) wrote:

I can't beat the reply post from Prometheus (the 8 fold path and all
that). However, I have some of my own Laws of Woodworking....

1. If you save you money to buy an expensive tool, as soon as you buy
the tool you'll need that money for an unexpected car repair.

Man, aint that the truth!

2. "Measure twice, cut once" only applies to the test piece. It also
only applies if you're using Starrett. Otherwise, measure many more
times, always use the same edge on the same rule, etc. In fact, just
go buy Starrett.

See #1, no way anything Starrett is likely to make it into my shop
until I have a much more reliable vehicle.

3. As soon as you design and build a piece, Fine Woodworking will
publish an article that show you how and it'll be better, too.

Nothing I do is of any particular interest to Fine Woodworking. I only
read it because real porn is too expensive. I have never seen
pineywood pukey ducks in FWW.

4. When you buy the best of what is available, a new model will be
introduced that's even better.

I'll get back to you on this if I ever can actually afford to get the
best of what's available.

7. As soon as the carcass is finishes, you'll have pangs of remorse
for not building it slightly different.

Why wait that long? I usually start the remorse as soon as I buy the
lumber. From that point forward each step is ridden with angst over
what might have been done differently.

8. When you have a SWMBO, every tool costs double. The price you pay
the retailer and the commeasuaret gift you buy the SWMBO.

It may be cheaper to find a new SWMBO, ya think?

9. You will always be one clamp short.

I've often been told that I was one clamp short of a project.

At this very spot I bust a gut...

10. The more enjoyable the furniture project, the more urgent house
repairs pop up.

You actually manage to get to furniture projects?

11. If you want to give a piece as a gift on such-and-such date, your
employer will ask you to make a business trip 3 days prior.

Doesn't really matter, you still wouldn't have the finish on it even
if you stayed home.

12. Your shop will never be nice enough and folks on rec.woodworking
will post pictures of theirs that make you feel inferior. That's when
you seek "retail therapy" by going out to buy a new sexy tool to make
you feel better. After which you recall NEM's Laws of Woodworking #1
ans #8.

I feel the urge to post some pictures of my shop.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

You just lust after your neighbor's jointer/LV low-angle block
plane/unisaw...can this be such a sin?

Dan