Runnonmt

Default Microwave in shop?

What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

DanG

I use mine to warm up my coffee and once and a while my lunch.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Runnonmt" wrote in message
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info
about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in
their shop and what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

GerryG

Yes, I've also seen some reports on bending.
Yet another use: softening glue. Most glues will soften with heat. White glue
or yellow PVA that's recent will turn plastic. For older PVA, add a little
water to the joint before heating. Do not use popcorn setting, however.
--Gerry

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:04:43 GMT, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article ,
(Runnonmt) wrote:
What uses would a microwave have in the shop?

Keeping your coffee warm... Duh! :-)

Seriously, though, some turners use microwaves to dry thick turning blanks. Do
a Google groups search for microwave on the group rec.crafts.woodturning and
you'll see some ideas.

I may be imagining this, but I seem to recall a post here not too long ago
about using a microwave to heat/soften wood for bending. Google again...

njf>badger

Runnonmt wrote:
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

Warming heat pads to ease my back, reheating coffee and food, oh and
drying smalll wooden objects....

Bill Stock

"Runnonmt" wrote in message
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and

what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

Great for destroying CDs/DVDs if you have any sensitive data on them. Cover
them with a paper towel and cook em on high for 10-30 seconds with the shiny
side up. Oh, don't breathe the fumes either.

Oops, wrong hobby.

Frank McVey

I've used a microwave for straightening out the lid of a small carved
mahogany(ish) box,which had warped badly. Wrapped it in wet rags, and put
it on defrost for a while. Once it was really hot (too hot to handle with
bare hands) I clamped it down flat and left it in clamps for around 24hrs.
There was a slight amount of spring-back, which I was able to take out with
a block plane. A couple of years later, it's still ok.

I've also used it for drying wedges, an up-to-date version of the old boy's
trick of putting their wedges for whatever job in an oven and baking them.
Once they're bone dry, they will never shrink any further, and the only
effect that changes in humidity will have is to further tighten them.

Cheers

Frank
"Runnonmt" wrote in message
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and
what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:32:53 -0400, Bill Stock wrote:

"Runnonmt" wrote in message
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and

what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

Great for destroying CDs/DVDs if you have any sensitive data on them. Cover
them with a paper towel and cook em on high for 10-30 seconds with the shiny
side up. Oh, don't breathe the fumes either.

Oops, wrong hobby.

Mythbusters spun them on a router until they came apart. Great fun in
slow motion.

Doug Winterburn

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:45:00 +0100, Frank McVey wrote:

I've also used it for drying wedges, an up-to-date version of the old
boy's trick of putting their wedges for whatever job in an oven and baking
them. Once they're bone dry, they will never shrink any further, and the
only effect that changes in humidity will have is to further tighten them.

Thanks Frank. I gotta remember this one - the old "wedgie" trick ;-)

-Doug

--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Mike Marlow

"Runnonmt" wrote in message
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and

what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

You won't get cat parts all over the kitchen - the wife is sure to love
that.
--

-Mike-

Gerald Ross

Runnonmt wrote:

What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

Making push sticks.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"

Todd

I don't know about the grapes, but I do know that an egg in the
microwave will explode in exactly 1 min 15 seconds.... cooked for 1
min and 15 seconds later when I open the microwave door ;-)

(Runnonmt) wrote in message ...
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about this
before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their shop and what
do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

Rusty

Morris Dovey

Doug Miller wrote:

You can toast marshmallows in the microwave, too. They remain
white on the outside, but get brown and toasted on the inside.

(I should know better than to join this thread but can't resist.)

If a toasted marshmellow remains white on the outside, then how
do you know when it's done? This strikes me as fun for showing
grandchildren...

....And to the list of things NOT to microwave I would add gummy
worms and fresh pecans (DAMHIKT).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Edwin Pawlowski

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

...And to the list of things NOT to microwave I would add gummy worms and
fresh pecans (DAMHIKT).

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Peeps are fund to watch. Just put it on high and watch the show.

Doug Miller

In article , Morris Dovey wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:

You can toast marshmallows in the microwave, too. They remain
white on the outside, but get brown and toasted on the inside.

(I should know better than to join this thread but can't resist.)

If a toasted marshmellow remains white on the outside, then how
do you know when it's done?

By the smell.

This strikes me as fun for showing grandchildren...

Oh, absolutely. Kids love it.

--
Regards,

Australopithecus scobis

What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about
this before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their
shop and what do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

On a serious note (gotta try the marshmallow thing, though), I nuke
vinegar+salt to get a supersaturated solution for derusting. The hot
solution also speeds up the reaction. Plastic peanut butter jars, however,
melt disastrously in this application. damhikt.

Also rewarms once-hot beverages, saving a trip to the kitchen.

The 'wave softens paraffin (wax) + solvent when making screw lube.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"

Rob Mitchell

Australopithecus scobis wrote:
What uses would a microwave have in the shop? I have seen info about
this before but cannot remember any uses. Does anyone use one in their
shop and what do you use it for? Thanks for any suggestions guys.

On a serious note (gotta try the marshmallow thing, though), I nuke
vinegar+salt to get a supersaturated solution for derusting. The hot
solution also speeds up the reaction. Plastic peanut butter jars, however,
melt disastrously in this application. damhikt.

Also rewarms once-hot beverages, saving a trip to the kitchen.

The 'wave softens paraffin (wax) + solvent when making screw lube.

Ummm. Aren't paraffin and solvents flammable (inflammable? see recent
posts) I wouldn't nuke anything that could explode.

I use mine for heating coffee. Once I used it to heat up some rubber
'tires' (formerly hockey pucks with the centres drilled out) and it
worked ok.

Australopithecus scobis

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 02:41:56 -0400, Rob Mitchell wrote:

Ummm. Aren't paraffin and solvents flammable (inflammable? see recent
posts) I wouldn't nuke anything that could explode.

Quite. The microwave is far more desireable than an open flame, or even an
electric element heater. Home microwave ovens are tuned to the H-O bond in
water. The wax, mineral spirits, and whatnot in my screw lube are poor
antennas for that microwave frequency. So they warm, but not as fast as
aqueous materials. Bonus, the small oven would contain a small fire. I
wouldn't recommend doing large quantities this way, in case the fan is
sparky.

--
"Keep your ass behind you"