Old November 19th 20, 12:05 AM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill press dado

This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

Old November 19th 20, 12:42 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 15:05:01 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

Using it as a milling machine. Works, cut is likely not very smooth,
not good for the bearings in the long run, poor substitute for a
router table.

Old November 19th 20, 01:27 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2020 5:05 PM, Michael wrote:
This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

I highly suspect that he is using a milling machine and not a drill
press. A milling machine is designed for a side load, the typical DP is
not. It would work for a while but the bearings would likely wear out
sooner than later.
Old November 19th 20, 01:43 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/18/2020 5:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/18/2020 5:05 PM, Michael wrote:
This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped
dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

I highly suspect that he is using a milling machine and not a drill
press.* A milling machine is designed for a side load, the typical DP is
not.* It would work for a while but the bearings would likely wear out
sooner than later.

Yep. Looks like a milling machine.

https://www.avg.com

Old November 19th 20, 01:46 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:27:22 -0600, Leon [email protected]
wrote:

On 11/18/2020 5:05 PM, Michael wrote:
This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

I highly suspect that he is using a milling machine and not a drill
press. A milling machine is designed for a side load, the typical DP is
not. It would work for a while but the bearings would likely wear out
sooner than later.

Yes, he is using a vertical milling machine, most likely some kind of
Bridgeport. You can see the standard mill table, which he is cranking
back and forth.

..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport_(machine_tool_brand)

Joe Gwinn

Old November 19th 20, 02:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I see. Thanks for the clarification!
Old November 19th 20, 03:00 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

Nice. Too nice to use.
Old November 19th 20, 03:01 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On 11/18/2020 5:05 PM, Michael wrote:
This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

I highly suspect that he is using a milling machine and not a drill
press. A milling machine is designed for a side load, the typical DP is
not. It would work for a while but the bearings would likely wear out
sooner than later.

Yes, he is using a vertical milling machine, most likely some kind of
Bridgeport. You can see the standard mill table, which he is cranking
back and forth.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridgeport_(machine_tool_brand)

You are of course correct and I am not very observant. Certainly a
good way to do it if you have a real milling machine, but a bit
overkill if you're buying one for the purpose.
Old November 19th 20, 03:14 AM posted to rec.woodworking

In addition to what the others have said, one caution - doing this with
a drill press (I've done it) tends to cause the quill to fall out, which
not only ruins whatever you're working on, but might injure you as well.
Old November 19th 20, 03:29 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 21:14:13 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

In addition to what the others have said, one caution - doing this with
a drill press (I've done it) tends to cause the quill to fall out, which
not only ruins whatever you're working on, but might injure you as well.

And I managed to bung up the taper to the extent that now it won't
stay. But I haven't been able to find a burr on it.