Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill press dado

On Fri, 20 Nov 2020 12:33:18 -0600, shiggins
wrote:

On 11/18/2020 6:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/18/2020 5:05 PM, Michael wrote:
This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped
dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

I highly suspect that he is using a milling machine and not a drill
press.* A milling machine is designed for a side load, the typical DP is
not.* It would work for a while but the bearings would likely wear out
sooner than later.

I have a Rockwell/Delta 11-280 drill press. The manual discusses its
use as a router and a shaper. In fact the manual displays a shaper
cutter kit. I haven't used it as either a router or a shaper. But I have
used it as a drum sander.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/2952.pdf

This isn't a good idea. As has been discussed in this thread
(recently at least), sanding/routing/shaping will put a side load on
the bearings. Drill presses aren't designed to handle force
perpendicular to the bit. This is just asking for terrible runout
when drilling.