Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill press dado

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 12:11:43 -0500, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 21:29:37 -0500, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 21:14:13 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

In addition to what the others have said, one caution - doing this with
a drill press (I've done it) tends to cause the quill to fall out, which
not only ruins whatever you're working on, but might injure you as well.

And I managed to bung up the taper to the extent that now it won't
stay. But I haven't been able to find a burr on it.

The standard way to diagnose the problem is to smear a very thin layer
of HiSpot Blue (or equivalent) onto the morse taper of a new and clean
drill bit, and then install it with some wiggling, remove it, and look
into the female socket to see where the HiSpot Blue transferred from
drill shank to socket walls.

.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dykem+hi+spot+blue

You want the little tube, not the big can with brush. The difference
is that the little tube contains an intensly blue grease that never
dries, while the big can contains what amounts to magic marker ink.

The grease is used for detecting contact while fitting, in much the
same manner as the traditional use of candle flame smoke when fitting
a wooden axe handle to an axe head: smoke the axe head opening, insert
wood into smoked opening, remove, observe where smoke has transferred
to wook, scrape the smoked wood away; repeat until wood is well bedded
in the opening.

The marker ink (layout fluid) is painted onto a piece of metal so
scriber likes will show clearly, the marks being used to direct where
to cut.

Some of the ads call the grease a layout fluid, which is incorrect.

Be aware that this stuff will make a big mess, so have lots of paper
towels handy.

Thank you. That is very helpful.