Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Drill press dado

On Saturday, November 21, 2020 at 12:26:34 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 11/21/2020 8:12 AM, JayPique wrote:
On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 6:45:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
snip
I have a Rockwell/Delta 11-280 drill press. The manual discusses its
use as a router and a shaper. In fact the manual displays a shaper
cutter kit. I haven't used it as either a router or a shaper. But I have
used it as a drum sander.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/2952.pdf

This isn't a good idea. As has been discussed in this thread
(recently at least), sanding/routing/shaping will put a side load on
the bearings. Drill presses aren't designed to handle force
perpendicular to the bit. This is just asking for terrible runout
when drilling.

I agree. That said, for light duty you could use something like this to minimize the damage...
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...m?item=68Z0220

And you don't suppose Rockwell designed/picked the bearings to handle
suggested uses of the machine?

Or, the marketing department stepped in after the machine was already designed.

Marketing team:
"Hey, engineering department, can this machine be used a shaper?"

Engineering team:
"Well, yes, but..."

Marketing team, running out of the room with their fingers in their ears:
"Thanks! That's all we needed to hear."