Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drill press dado

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 19:45:38 -0500, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 17:50:55 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 11:26:28 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 11/21/2020 8:12 AM, JayPique wrote:
On Friday, November 20, 2020 at 6:45:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
snip
I have a Rockwell/Delta 11-280 drill press. The manual discusses its
use as a router and a shaper. In fact the manual displays a shaper
cutter kit. I haven't used it as either a router or a shaper. But I have
used it as a drum sander.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/2952.pdf

This isn't a good idea. As has been discussed in this thread
(recently at least), sanding/routing/shaping will put a side load on
the bearings. Drill presses aren't designed to handle force
perpendicular to the bit. This is just asking for terrible runout
when drilling.

I agree. That said, for light duty you could use something like this to minimize the damage...
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...m?item=68Z0220

And you don't suppose Rockwell designed/picked the bearings to handle
suggested uses of the machine?

No. The mounting is all wrong. No matter what, you're not only
putting a side load but torque on the bearing.

Really? How does that work? How is it different from the loads
imposed by drilling?

You're cutting/shaping/sanding sideways putting torque Against the
side of the bearings. Drilling is a vertical operation and puts no
stress on the side of the bearings/shaft as they were designed. Add
to that the leverage of the length of the /bit/quill/shaft and a it's
significant stress in a way the machinery wasn't designed to operate.

Joe Gwinn

Plus, they even give instructions on how to replace it.

Come on, now, get real.

It is real. You screw up your drill press. Others would rather not.