Posted to rec.woodworking
shiggins shiggins is offline

Default Drill press dado

On 11/20/2020 6:21 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/20/2020 12:33 PM, shiggins wrote:
On 11/18/2020 6:27 PM, Leon wrote:
On 11/18/2020 5:05 PM, Michael wrote:
This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped
dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

I highly suspect that he is using a milling machine and not a drill
press.Â* A milling machine is designed for a side load, the typical DP
is not.Â* It would work for a while but the bearings would likely wear
out sooner than later.

I have a Rockwell/Delta 11-280 drill press.Â* The manual discusses its
use as a router and a shaper. In fact the manual displays a shaper
cutter kit. I haven't used it as either a router or a shaper. But I
have used it as a drum sander.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1141/2952.pdf

Steve

WhileÂ* a lot of Rockell equipment was pretty good, thisÂ* unit is at the
lower end of the food chain.Â* I had the same unit, got it as a sales
reward in 1979.

Yes you can do many things as you have pointed out.Â* But should you.
Have you seen the Dremel plunger attachment to turn it into a plunge
router?Â* Think that is a good idea?

When the 11-280 and similar designs were for sale back in the 60's, most
users were hobbyists that were pinching pennies. There weren't many
routers or shapers in the homeshop. Many users were still making trim
with specialized hand planes. I obtained my 11-280 from one of those
guys when his arthritis got the best of him. He made sure I knew how to
repair the spindle and quill before I took it home. There were all sorts
of attachments for virtually all stationary equipment - and some really
scary **** for handheld tools. If they looked like they wouldn't charge
the price of a finger or two and would do the job just once I might try
them. I am a tool hog but price is still an important consideration.

Steve