Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Drill press dado

On Wednesday, November 18, 2020 at 3:05:04 PM UTC-8, Michael wrote:
This looks like an interesting and functional way to make a stopped dado. Has anyone tried it?

https://youtu.be/to1YsOjOhv8?t=71

Yeah, a mill makes a good dado, I've made some of my jigs that way (it can do a really accurate
depth, and right angle, to make a clamp-able right angle bracket). For a stopped dado, either
a plunge router on a large workpiece, or on a router table you just drop the workpiece
with either a pilot hole, or find a router bit that end-cuts. Or, just mess with
sliding it back-and-forth as it slowly gets to full depth.

If you borrow someone's mill, be sure to clean off ALL the sawdust; it does odd and unlikely
things (corrode metal, attract moisture, clog oil passages).