Old November 5th 20, 07:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

Default Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Old November 5th 20, 08:33 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:52:55 PM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Why not cut a 1/4" dado in the sides and use 1/4" plywood for the
drawer bottom? That's the more common (and better) way to build
a drawer.

Lots of options for tape...Google is your friend.

https://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-fr...wer-slide-tape

Another option is bottom mount drawer slides, unless you need to remove
drawers completely during use. Full extension slides would give you
full access and support while the drawer is open.

Wouldn't your method always require 2 hands - one to support the drawer,
the other to grab the contents? Seems like a PITB.

Old November 5th 20, 08:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 13:52:49 -0500, Dave
wrote:

I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Glide strips ?

https://tinyurl.com/y5clylsx

https://tinyurl.com/y3xxsjbr

I tried the slippery tape on old roll-top desk drawers -
but because the wood was quite worn & irregular
the tape didn't last - but on a nice new surface
it might be much better ?
I didn't have enough clearance for the glide strips

I'm not understanding your box construction - are you
just edge-gluing plywood bottom to the box sides ?
... no dado ? no support strips beneath ?
John T.

Old November 5th 20, 11:52 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/5/20 2:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:52:55 PM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Why not cut a 1/4" dado in the sides and use 1/4" plywood for the
drawer bottom? That's the more common (and better) way to build
a drawer.

I agree, but don't have a table saw (yet) or a router (yet). Santa is
coming though, so... That is why I decided to do things this way.

Lots of options for tape...Google is your friend.

https://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-fr...wer-slide-tape

Thanks!

Another option is bottom mount drawer slides, unless you need to remove
drawers completely during use. Full extension slides would give you
full access and support while the drawer is open.

Slides are the way to go, but will take more time and I have a lot to
get done.

Wouldn't your method always require 2 hands - one to support the drawer,
the other to grab the contents? Seems like a PITB.

I agree, this is one of the worst ways to do it. But if Santa comes,
then I can design a proper storage system where front doors don't get in
the way of removing the drawers.

Dave,
Old November 5th 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Due to time limits, I needed to come up with something quick. The idea
I had was to have HD cut the plywood bottoms to size and cut the 1-by
lumber to size. Then I would use glue and brads to fasten the sides to
the bottom and pin the sides into the front and back pieces. Cheesy
design for sure, but if it works, then I get (my words) to move on to
replace two faucets before Thanksgiving. The hits just never stop.

Dave,

Old November 6th 20, 12:34 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps rethink the construction and glue and nail the plywood to the
bottom of the 1-by framework? You could even add some glue blocks
inside the drawer for added strength.
Old November 6th 20, 12:54 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I doubt you will get very accurate cuts from HD. Skip the drawer building until you get a better selection of tools and buy some plastic storage boxes for the interm.
Old November 6th 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 17:52:02 -0500, Dave
wrote:

[...]

Rockler used to sell made-to-order semicustom drawers, which I used to
repair a kitchen drawer - kept the face, replaced the box, added steel
ball-bearing slides.

I see that Rockler no longer does that, but google yielded many hist
for custom drawer box, like this one:'

..https://cabinetdoor.store/product/baltic-birch-plywood-drawer-box/

Joe Gwinn
Old November 6th 20, 01:53 AM posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If you are expecting a home center to cut your boards to the accuracy
required to build a set of drawers, you are most likely going to be very
disappointed.

Even the best lumber yards will usually only guarantee accuracy to 1/8",
and they are going to charge you for those cuts.

Go to a crafts store and find nice boxes/cubbie inserts. It'll be quicker,
easier and much more accurate. Yes, it might be more expensive,
but I seriously doubt that you'll get the accurate cuts that you need
from a home center. Your time will be wasted and your time is worth
money - and peace of mind.

Buy your "drawers" and move on to the faucets.

Old November 6th 20, 02:33 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I agree, this is one of the worst ways to do it. But if Santa comes,
then I can design a proper storage system where front doors don't get in
the way of removing the drawers.
Dave,

... in the meantime, buy a few cheap "boxes"
from the craft store .. like DerbyDad suggested.
... and move on to more important jobs.
... expecting Home Depot to custom cut your pieces
seems a bit far-out in my world.
John T.

trailing edge or leading edge Bill Wright[_3_] UK diy 7 October 20th 19 07:20 PM
I used rake edge instead of drip edge Johnny[_6_] Home Repair 1 June 9th 17 08:46 AM
How to edge stone flooring at the wall's edge? Robert Macy[_2_] Home Repair 10 August 1st 13 03:20 AM
Advice on plywood edge T Woodworking 16 February 14th 05 06:37 AM
Hardwood edge laminating to plywood Ryan Woodworking 3 January 28th 05 03:22 AM