Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave[_88_] Dave[_88_] is offline

Default Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

On 11/5/20 2:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:52:55 PM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Why not cut a 1/4" dado in the sides and use 1/4" plywood for the
drawer bottom? That's the more common (and better) way to build
a drawer.

I agree, but don't have a table saw (yet) or a router (yet). Santa is
coming though, so... That is why I decided to do things this way.

Lots of options for tape...Google is your friend.

https://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-fr...wer-slide-tape

Thanks!

Another option is bottom mount drawer slides, unless you need to remove
drawers completely during use. Full extension slides would give you
full access and support while the drawer is open.

Slides are the way to go, but will take more time and I have a lot to
get done.

Wouldn't your method always require 2 hands - one to support the drawer,
the other to grab the contents? Seems like a PITB.

I agree, this is one of the worst ways to do it. But if Santa comes,
then I can design a proper storage system where front doors don't get in
the way of removing the drawers.

Dave,