Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to edge stone flooring at the wall's edge?

[note google has again goofed up my access to Usenet so I will not be able to respond timely]

We have stone flooring that butts against the drywall.
Not sure, but think the stone is over thin masonite-like layer, over some soft layer, over slab concrete. At the edge, it appears they originally put in grout, but that grout crumbles out easily, plus painting the wall down to the flooring does NOT make a nice edge.
What caluking, or something like that, can I use to make the transition pliable to not crack in the future, yet hard enough to resemble grout?

The drywall extends behind the stone tiles [stone tiles are 1/2 inch thick] and most of the original grouting is cracked and crumbling out. Worst construction technique I've seen in a long time, but I have to change it. Just don't know how.

At the metal sliding doors, I plan on using clear, since overlap won't show and the crack is dark enough to match the doors.

The stone is patterned, but generally, light cream colored limestone out of Turkey.

Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Macy[_2_] View Post
[...]

What about nailing a baseboard to the wall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

[note google has again goofed up my access to Usenet so I
will not be able to respond timely]

We have stone flooring that butts against the drywall.
Not sure, but think the stone is over thin masonite-like
layer, over some soft layer, over slab concrete. At the
edge, it appears they originally put in grout, but that
grout crumbles out easily, plus painting the wall down to
the flooring does NOT make a nice edge.
What caluking, or something like that, can I use to make
the transition pliable to not crack in the future, yet
hard enough to resemble grout?

Use a baseboard. If you do, leave a slight gap between it and the stone so
that the stone can be masked when repainting the basebord.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 12:45:36 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

[...]

Sanded caulk. Looks like grout, flexible like caulk. Available in
most grout colours
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 6:49:29 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
'Robert Macy[_2_ Wrote:

;3095324'][note google has again goofed up my access to Usenet so I will

[...]

+1

Baseboard/molding is how it's typically done because it works
and it looks good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No baseboards? That would be the easiest way I would think to make it
look intentional, neat, and finished.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

I think that baseboard, of course, would be a good idea.

But, if you don't want to do that, then finding silicone caulk that matches
(or almost matches) the existing grout color would work. That will stay
flexible and it won't crack like the rigid grout is now doing.

Someone here mentioned that they sell sanded caulk in colors. I have never
seen that, but maybe you could look for that. Just make sure that it is a
type of caulk that's stays a little flexible and won't crack -- hopefully
that's what it is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:54:51 -0400, "TomR" wrote:

Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

google laticrete sanded caulk. It's about $6 a tube.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:54:35 PM UTC-7, TomR wrote:
wrote: On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 12:54:51 -0400, "TomR" wrote: Someone here mentioned that they sell sanded caulk in colors. I have never seen that, but maybe you could look for that. Just make sure that it is a type of caulk that's stays a little flexible and won't crack -- hopefully that's what it is. google laticrete sanded caulk. It's about $6 a tube. Okay, I did the Google search. I still can't tell for sure if they make sanded caulk that is also 100% silicone, or if the only sanded caulk they make is "acrylic caulk" that is "siliconized". Since there is a difference in flexibility and waterproof properties between 100% silicone caulk and "siliconized" acrylic caulk, I was curious. I don't need either one right now, but I was just curious. If it ever comes up that I need either one, I'll check what I see in the stores and read the labels carefully to be sure. I asked because I never heard of sanded 100% silicone caulk.

nice way google adds these quotes, eh?

the sanded caulk product at Home Depot is labeled 'acrylic' and 'siliconized', evidently it is acrylic that is siliconized.

just got some tubes delorean gray and natural gray couldn't tell which one is the best color match. will find the best color, try, and post back results of what it's like to work with this stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 21, 2013 2:45:36 PM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:
[...]

If there is no baseboard, then the wall is subject to scuff marks from anything that touches the wall and floor. I definitely vote for baseboard, and leave a gap between the bottom of the baseboard and the top of the stone enough that you can slip a piece of cardboard from a cereal box between the stone and the bottom of the baseboard for when you finish the baseboard. Assuming you have a stud finder and/or a floor-level plate behind the sheetrock, you have a good backing for the baseboard. Otherwise, some construction adhesive will hold it in place.