Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default trailing edge or leading edge

I have a PSU for a LED panel. The PSU says 'dimmable. Leading edge or
trailing edge.' Well it is dimmable. I tried it with a really old dimmer
switch and it dims OK and is stable. Of course below a certain level it
goes out, but I expected that. But the thing is, I'm going to buy a new
dimmer anyway. Should I get leading or trailing edge?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

I have a PSU for a LED panel.
Should I get leading or trailing edge?

Some dimmable LEDs aren't picky, but the ones that are seem to recommend
trailing edge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2019 15:23, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I have a PSU for a LED panel. Should I get leading or trailing edge?

Some dimmable LEDs aren't picky, but the ones that are seem to recommend
trailing edge.

Correct. No idea why.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TOJ TOJ is offline

On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 16:27:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Correct. No idea why.

Because they can withstand a fast turn off better than a fast turn on?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2019 19:50, TOJ wrote:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 16:27:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Correct. No idea why.

Because they can withstand a fast turn off better than a fast turn on?

They dont blow up. They just flicker.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/10/2019 15:16, Bill Wright wrote:
I have a PSU for a LED panel. The PSU says 'dimmable. Leading edge or
trailing edge.' Well it is dimmable. I tried it with a really old dimmer
switch and it dims OK and is stable. Of course below a certain level it
goes out, but I expected that. But the thing is, I'm going to buy a new
dimmer anyway. Should I get leading or trailing edge?

Get one that can work as either eg a Varilight V Pro and you can also
set the minimum brightness on them.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2019 14:17, ARW wrote:
Varilight V Pro

Ordered. Thanks Adam.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 October 2019 02:15:36 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 19/10/2019 19:50, TOJ wrote:
On Sat, 19 Oct 2019 16:27:04 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Correct. No idea why.

Because they can withstand a fast turn off better than a fast turn on?

They dont blow up. They just flicker.

Depends on the internal PSU. CR types do die, as the R dissipates way beyond design heat on a chopped waveform. Electronic supplies are happier.

NT