DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/681772-edge-nailing-plywood-anti-friction.html)

Dave[_88_] November 5th 20 07:52 PM

Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

DerbyDad03 November 5th 20 08:33 PM

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:52:55 PM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Why not cut a 1/4" dado in the sides and use 1/4" plywood for the
drawer bottom? That's the more common (and better) way to build
a drawer.

Lots of options for tape...Google is your friend.

https://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-fr...wer-slide-tape

Another option is bottom mount drawer slides, unless you need to remove
drawers completely during use. Full extension slides would give you
full access and support while the drawer is open.

Wouldn't your method always require 2 hands - one to support the drawer,
the other to grab the contents? Seems like a PITB.

[email protected] November 5th 20 08:56 PM

Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 13:52:49 -0500, Dave
wrote:

I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Glide strips ?

https://tinyurl.com/y5clylsx

https://tinyurl.com/y3xxsjbr

I tried the slippery tape on old roll-top desk drawers -
but because the wood was quite worn & irregular
the tape didn't last - but on a nice new surface
it might be much better ?
I didn't have enough clearance for the glide strips

I'm not understanding your box construction - are you
just edge-gluing plywood bottom to the box sides ?
... no dado ? no support strips beneath ?
John T.

Dave[_88_] November 5th 20 11:52 PM

On 11/5/20 2:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 1:52:55 PM UTC-5, Dave wrote:
I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Why not cut a 1/4" dado in the sides and use 1/4" plywood for the
drawer bottom? That's the more common (and better) way to build
a drawer.

I agree, but don't have a table saw (yet) or a router (yet). Santa is
coming though, so... That is why I decided to do things this way.

Lots of options for tape...Google is your friend.

https://www.rockler.com/nylo-tape-fr...wer-slide-tape

Thanks!

Another option is bottom mount drawer slides, unless you need to remove
drawers completely during use. Full extension slides would give you
full access and support while the drawer is open.

Slides are the way to go, but will take more time and I have a lot to
get done.

Wouldn't your method always require 2 hands - one to support the drawer,
the other to grab the contents? Seems like a PITB.

I agree, this is one of the worst ways to do it. But if Santa comes,
then I can design a proper storage system where front doors don't get in
the way of removing the drawers.

Dave,

Dave[_88_] November 5th 20 11:56 PM

wrote:

[...]

Due to time limits, I needed to come up with something quick. The idea
I had was to have HD cut the plywood bottoms to size and cut the 1-by
lumber to size. Then I would use glue and brads to fasten the sides to
the bottom and pin the sides into the front and back pieces. Cheesy
design for sure, but if it works, then I get (my words) to move on to
replace two faucets before Thanksgiving. The hits just never stop.

Dave,

ads[_2_] November 6th 20 12:34 AM

Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

wrote:

[...]

Perhaps rethink the construction and glue and nail the plywood to the
bottom of the 1-by framework? You could even add some glue blocks
inside the drawer for added strength.

[email protected] November 6th 20 12:54 AM

Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

I doubt you will get very accurate cuts from HD. Skip the drawer building until you get a better selection of tools and buy some plastic storage boxes for the interm.

Joe gwinn November 6th 20 01:18 AM

Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 17:52:02 -0500, Dave
wrote:

[...]

Rockler used to sell made-to-order semicustom drawers, which I used to
repair a kitchen drawer - kept the face, replaced the box, added steel
ball-bearing slides.

I see that Rockler no longer does that, but google yielded many hist
for custom drawer box, like this one:'

..https://cabinetdoor.store/product/baltic-birch-plywood-drawer-box/

Joe Gwinn

DerbyDad03 November 6th 20 01:53 AM

wrote:

[...]

If you are expecting a home center to cut your boards to the accuracy
required to build a set of drawers, you are most likely going to be very
disappointed.

Even the best lumber yards will usually only guarantee accuracy to 1/8",
and they are going to charge you for those cuts.

Go to a crafts store and find nice boxes/cubbie inserts. It'll be quicker,
easier and much more accurate. Yes, it might be more expensive,
but I seriously doubt that you'll get the accurate cuts that you need
from a home center. Your time will be wasted and your time is worth
money - and peace of mind.

Buy your "drawers" and move on to the faucets.

[email protected] November 6th 20 02:33 AM

Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

I agree, this is one of the worst ways to do it. But if Santa comes,
then I can design a proper storage system where front doors don't get in
the way of removing the drawers.
Dave,

... in the meantime, buy a few cheap "boxes"
from the craft store .. like DerbyDad suggested.
... and move on to more important jobs.
... expecting Home Depot to custom cut your pieces
seems a bit far-out in my world.
John T.

J. Clarke[_5_] November 6th 20 03:10 AM

wrote:

[...]

What kind of saw _do_ you have?

Here's how to make a guide that can give you quite surprisingly good
cutting precision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9an9cAFHdXA

Total cost under 20 bucks and 15 minutes or so of your time (plus time
for glue to dry).

knuttle November 6th 20 03:33 AM

On 11/5/2020 9:10 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
I agree, but don't have a table saw (yet) or a router (yet). Santa is
coming though, so... That is why I decided to do things this way.

What kind of tools do you have?

You do not need a table saw or a router to cut a dado.

You can do a good job with a circular saw (Skill saw type) and a good
chisel.

Cut two Cuts of the proper depth so the outside edges are just a hair
lager than a 1/4 assume you are using 1/4 plywood.

Carefully remove the center material with a hammer and clean it up with
the chisel.

T have a table saw with dado and a router, I find it can be done as
quick with the above method as with either tool

Scott Lurndal November 6th 20 03:44 PM

Dave writes:
[...]

For a one-off drawer, you can cut the dados with a backsaw and a chisel.

[email protected] November 6th 20 04:32 PM

Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

For a one-off drawer, you can cut the dados with a backsaw and a chisel.

Or dado-less is possible if support strips are glued & screwed
along the inside bottom of the sides and front & back ?
to support the drawer bottom. Not as strong as a dado but
quite adequate for average household stuff.
John T.

DerbyDad03 November 6th 20 07:03 PM

On Friday, November 6, 2020 at 10:27:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:

For a one-off drawer, you can cut the dados with a backsaw and a chisel.

Or dado-less is possible if support strips are glued & screwed
along the inside bottom of the sides and front & back ?
to support the drawer bottom. Not as strong as a dado but
quite adequate for average household stuff.
John T.

And the drawer bottom doesn't need to be as accurately cut.

Undersize the drawer bottom to account for the inaccurate cuts that
the home center will make, add the strips and drop the bottom in.

Heck, the drawer wouldn't even have to be square. Adjusting the size
of a drop in bottom could be done with a saw, a file, sandpaper, whatever.

In addition, depending on the size of the drawer, 1/4 bottoms might be
enough. Even easier to adjust.

Clare Snyder November 7th 20 04:56 AM

On Fri, 06 Nov 2020 10:32:40 -0500, wrote:

For a one-off drawer, you can cut the dados with a backsaw and a chisel.

Or dado-less is possible if support strips are glued & screwed
along the inside bottom of the sides and front & back ?
to support the drawer bottom. Not as strong as a dado but
quite adequate for average household stuff.
John T.

use hardwood cleats to support the bottom AND act as rub-rails. Boil
them in parafin or soak them in warm raw linseed oil before screwing
them on to the sides and tacking the pottoms on top