Default Advice on plywood edge

I'm restoring an old chester drawers and decided to put a backboard on it, I
have a piece of 1/2" birch plywood that will come up over the back about 14"
high. I'll be cutting it into a rounded shape with some simple scrolling at
the top. My question is, what should I use to cover the edge of the plywood
so it doesn't show? Should I try a veneer, or is there some kind of applique
or flexible moulding I can use? I'm a newbie and would appreciate your
advice.
Tony

Woodcrafter

"T" wrote in message
I'm restoring an old chester drawers and decided to put a backboard on it,

have a piece of 1/2" birch plywood that will come up over the back about

14"
high. I'll be cutting it into a rounded shape with some simple scrolling

at
the top. My question is, what should I use to cover the edge of the

plywood
so it doesn't show? Should I try a veneer, or is there some kind of

applique
or flexible moulding I can use? I'm a newbie and would appreciate your
advice.
Tony

Veneer would work well, especially if it is not straight.
--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 70 woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner
- Karcher NT361 Dust Extractor
- Ozito Electronic Ear Muffs
- Festool TDK Cordless Drills
- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set
- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

Phisherman

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 00:06:10 -0700, "T" wrote:

I'm restoring an old chester drawers and decided to put a backboard on it, I
have a piece of 1/2" birch plywood that will come up over the back about 14"
high. I'll be cutting it into a rounded shape with some simple scrolling at
the top. My question is, what should I use to cover the edge of the plywood
so it doesn't show? Should I try a veneer, or is there some kind of applique
or flexible moulding I can use? I'm a newbie and would appreciate your
advice.
Tony

There is self-stick "tape" wood that you can purchase in a roll.
Some you have to apply heat, others don't need it.
Dave

If the scrolling doesn't contain any tight curves and you can get into
the curves to clamp it, veneer would work. I'd probably avoid the
self-adhesive stuff and the iron-on stuff won't work well.

Another alternative that you might use is make an applique of solid
wood to put along the top. This could be a piece of 3/4" stock with a
rabbet in the back for the plywood. At most the plywood gets a curve
across the top. The solid wood gets the scroll work and fancy stuff.

G'luck.

Dave

Mike Marlow

"T" wrote in message
I'm restoring an old chester drawers and decided to put a backboard on it,

have a piece of 1/2" birch plywood that will come up over the back about

14"
high. I'll be cutting it into a rounded shape with some simple scrolling

at
the top. My question is, what should I use to cover the edge of the

plywood
so it doesn't show? Should I try a veneer, or is there some kind of

applique
or flexible moulding I can use? I'm a newbie and would appreciate your
advice.
Tony

I know you asked specifically asked about plywood edging Tony, but can I
throw another idea your way? I'm not big on edgings. I've never liked the
looks of them and have often found that they don't stand up over time. Why
not get a couple of boards planed down to 1/2" so they match the thickness
of your plywood, then glue them up to make yourself a board that's little
more than the 14" that the crown is going to rise above the top of the chest
of drawers. Stop you plywood back a little shy of the top of the piece and
run the board the rest of the way. That way you have solid wood to work
with and no worries about having to put edge banding on. You also gain the
ability to route the edge designs instead of being limited to just a
straight edge.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
If the scrolling doesn't contain any tight curves and you can get into
the curves to clamp it, veneer would work. I'd probably avoid the
self-adhesive stuff and the iron-on stuff won't work well.

Another alternative that you might use is make an applique of solid
wood to put along the top. This could be a piece of 3/4" stock with a
rabbet in the back for the plywood. At most the plywood gets a curve
across the top. The solid wood gets the scroll work and fancy stuff.

Hey - I likes the way you think man!

--

-Mike-

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

[...]

So basically you're saying that I could use the boards as sort of a crown
moulding? Or maybe like a frame? I like the sound of your idea, but I'm
just not sure I'm tracking you right here.
Tony

Dave

Tony, I'll do a sketch for you this morning when I get to work. That'll
make it all clear. Hang tight.

Dave

Dave

Tony, I'll do a sketch for you this morning when I get to work. That'll
make it all clear. Hang tight.

Dave

Mike Marlow

"Dave" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tony, I'll do a sketch for you this morning when I get to work. That'll
make it all clear. Hang tight.

Dave

A picture is worth a thousand words. If Dave is sketching what I suggested,
then it's better to wait and see his artwork.
--

-Mike-

Dave

As promised, here's a quick sketch. Mike and I have different ideas but
both solve the problem of edging the plywood. Hopefully the drawing is
self explanatory. See this link:
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/dresser1.jpg

Dave

B a r r y

Dave wrote:
As promised, here's a quick sketch. Mike and I have different ideas but
both solve the problem of edging the plywood. Hopefully the drawing is
self explanatory. See this link:
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/dresser1.jpg

Dave

What did you sketch it with?

C'mon, you knew someone would ask... G

Barry
Dave

Barry, I've been using a program called SketchUp for doing my
woodworking drawings. It is incredibly fast and intutitive. It was
designed as computerized version of sketching on a napkin for
architects. Not really intended as a CAD drawing but because it will
allow you to add dimensions, I use it that way. 3D drawings are nice to
let other visualize what you have planned. I also have the client sit
down and tell me what they want while I draw. It's kind of like the
artists who draw crooks based on witness descriptions.

For this stuff of talking about ideas on the internet, I like it
because a picture is worth a thousand words.

If you want to see some other things I've drawn with it, there are a
bunch of drawings scattered through my album he
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Dave-R1s-Album?page=1

Dave

Mike Marlow

"Dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
As promised, here's a quick sketch. Mike and I have different ideas but
both solve the problem of edging the plywood. Hopefully the drawing is
self explanatory. See this link:
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/dresser1.jpg

Dave

Excellent representation Dave. And for the OP, I would be equally
comfortable supporting Dave's idea as well as my own. It's all a matter of
your preference, and to some degree, cost. Dave's idea would be cheaper
than mine, and adds a little design character that mine does not.
--

-Mike-

B a r r y

Dave wrote:
Barry, I've been using a program called SketchUp for doing my
woodworking drawings.

Thanks. I've actually tried SketchUp, but was put off by the price.

Barry