Posted to rec.woodworking
ads[_2_] ads[_2_] is offline

Default Edge nailing plywood, anti-friction

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 17:56:30 -0500, Dave
wrote:

On 11/5/20 2:56 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 13:52:49 -0500, Dave
wrote:

I need to make some boxes to be used as drawers on a shelf. I plan to
use 1-by wood for the sides and plywood for the bottom (1/2"). The way
I see this going together is to place a small bead of glue on the sides
of the plywood, then using 18 ga. brads to hold the wood to the ply
until the glue dries. Anyone done this? Any thoughts to improve the idea?

The other question is finding some sort of anti-friction plastic or tape
to place on the bottom of the box to make it slide easier. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Dave,

Glide strips ?

https://tinyurl.com/y5clylsx

https://tinyurl.com/y3xxsjbr

I tried the slippery tape on old roll-top desk drawers -
but because the wood was quite worn & irregular
the tape didn't last - but on a nice new surface
it might be much better ?
I didn't have enough clearance for the glide strips

I'm not understanding your box construction - are you
just edge-gluing plywood bottom to the box sides ?
... no dado ? no support strips beneath ?
John T.

Due to time limits, I needed to come up with something quick. The idea
I had was to have HD cut the plywood bottoms to size and cut the 1-by
lumber to size. Then I would use glue and brads to fasten the sides to
the bottom and pin the sides into the front and back pieces. Cheesy
design for sure, but if it works, then I get (my words) to move on to
replace two faucets before Thanksgiving. The hits just never stop.

Dave,

Perhaps rethink the construction and glue and nail the plywood to the
bottom of the 1-by framework? You could even add some glue blocks
inside the drawer for added strength.