Eugene

SawDust wrote:

Thank you Patriarch, I was hoping for your comments.

I'd be more than happy to do this with my router for her. But she
wishes to learn and do this herself. I agree she should learn, but
I think there are safer ways to do this and I have never used a dremel
tool, and personally I don't think this tool is safe to use, when
removing that amount of material, even with shallow passes.

It's too many passes to make. The bits going to get hot. She will
probably rush the cut. I can basically see that bit deflecting and
snapping off.

She's gung ho to use the dremel - just like she see's on the TV
commercial.

Personally, I cut kerfs, knock out the material and then use the
router to clean up the shoulders and give me a consistent depth.
I was taught a router is not a saw and it makes sense. A dremel is
not a router. It's a detail tool.

As for her asking: I found out only today after asking what she was
going to do with some old pine I had given to her, a month ago. She
does crafts etc. Now she wants to build a book shelf.

I have suggested that glue and screws would work just as well, but she
wants to use the dremel and cut grooves and dados etc.

Now I'm trying to find out if this is safe.

Thanks

Pat

There isn't anything inherently unsafe about using a dremel as a mini
router. Basically think of it as cutting a 3" wide, 3" deep slot with your
1.5hp and a 3/4" bit, you will need to make about 100 passes per slot .
Since dremel's don't have much power and the bits are small and don't have a
lot of mass they don't hit very hard when they do break so long as she is
wearing safety glasses and not a low cut shirt like the girl carpenters
she's seen on tv
Why not give her a handful of biscuits and let her cut biscuit slots with
the dremel? At least have her try on a scrap piece so she can realize that
it will take two hours of cutting or a dozen broken bits per slot.

SawDust

Default Help: Need advice for a friend hopefully someone with experience using a dremel can answer this

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

Michael Latcha

Two good rules:

1. If you don't think it's safe, don't do it.
2. Friends don't let friends do unsafe things.

"SawDust" wrote in message

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

George

Sure will. Those Dremel brand bits are the pits.

I've used my Dremel in its router base with a flat-bottomed rotary file to
cut mortises for hinges, but it's a slow and careful process, and a lot less
area.

"SawDust" wrote in message

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

Swingman

"SawDust" wrote in message

Any thoughts...

With patience and small, incremental cuts, she should be OK. I would
certainly advise using the available router base for the tool, going slow
and easy, and using a guide fence and eye protection.

It's obvioulsy going to take some time, but that may well be a readily
available commodity in this case.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

SawDust

Just because I say it's unsafe - doesn't mean she's going to listen. I
ain't never used a dremel, but I have seen my 1.5 HP router spinning a
3/4" bit in that stock and the dremel's going to come apart in my
opinion.

Naturally, I don't want to see her get hurt doing something dumb, so
I'm looking for backups and advice regarding her doing this.

Thanks

Pat

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:40:30 GMT, "Michael Latcha"
wrote:

Two good rules:

1. If you don't think it's safe, don't do it.
2. Friends don't let friends do unsafe things.

"SawDust" wrote in message
.. .

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

patriarch

SawDust wrote in
:

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

You could offer to do it with her in your much better equipped shop....

Or help her with using hand tools, which in this case may be faster, more
accurate, and safer.

Do you think there's a good reason she asked you about the process?

Patriarch
SawDust

Hi Swingman,

I was always taught that a router is not a saw. That an awful pile
of wood to remove with a dremel, and while hoping the bit doesn't
snap, fly off and smack her in the face.

I think there are a lot safer ways to do this...

Thanks for the response though...

Pat

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:50:21 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"SawDust" wrote in message

Any thoughts...

With patience and small, incremental cuts, she should be OK. I would
certainly advise using the available router base for the tool, going slow
and easy, and using a guide fence and eye protection.

It's obvioulsy going to take some time, but that may well be a readily
available commodity in this case.

SawDust

Hi George,

I can see this, cause your only removing about a 1/16th of an inch.

Tell me, does the dremel spin in the same direction as a router.?
I've been told with a router the bits generally fly away from the
operator. What's the result with a dremel when a bit snaps.?
What sort of rpm.?

Pat

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 17:46:35 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

Sure will. Those Dremel brand bits are the pits.

I've used my Dremel in its router base with a flat-bottomed rotary file to
cut mortises for hinges, but it's a slow and careful process, and a lot less
area.

"SawDust" wrote in message
.. .

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

SawDust

Well I'm doing my best to follow those rules...

But since I've never used a dremel and I can imagine the results, I
thought I'd get an opinion from someone with experience.

Rule #3 of life - Sometimes Friends don't listen till it's too late..

That's why I'm looking for advice to either resolve my concern or back
up my argument that it is unsafe.

Thanks for your response.....

wrote:

Two good rules:

1. If you don't think it's safe, don't do it.
2. Friends don't let friends do unsafe things.

"SawDust" wrote in message
.. .

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

GerryG

Well, this should be safe enough if she uses a 3/4 bit; the dremel will
immediately stall and not move. The low torque on the dremel's the issue. Just
like any router, safety relates to the bit size and how deep a cut. I've never
tried this with mine, but imagine that if you go slowly enough, it will
eventually work. Many people do use the dremel router on wood, mostly for very
shallow cuts following a pattern, for putting a design on the surface.

Regarding hot/snap, if she tried a 1/8 bit and pushed it a little too hard, it
could very easily fly off.

GerryG

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 21:30:13 GMT, SawDust wrote:

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

SawDust

[...]

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:08:21 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

SawDust wrote in
:

"SawDust" wrote in message

Just because I say it's unsafe - doesn't mean she's going to listen. I
ain't never used a dremel, but I have seen my 1.5 HP router spinning a
3/4" bit in that stock and the dremel's going to come apart in my
opinion.

Maybe you lend her your 1.5HP router and 3/4" bit and be done with it.

-Jack

mp

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

What she's trying to do isn't inherently unsafe. I doubt you'll be able to
find a bit for it anywhere near 3/4". I think 1/4" is the largest you can
get. The dremel doesn't have a whole lot of torque and with a 3/4" bit it
would bog down .3 seconds into the cut. She'll probably end up making a
dozen or so shallow passes with a 1/4" bit in order to get the required
width and depth, and if she has a steady hand it won't look that bad.

Dave Balderstone

In article , SawDust
wrote:

Any thoughts...

She's trying to move a pile of sand with a pair of tweezers...

Dave Balderstone

In article , SawDust
wrote:

Is this safe to do.

Sorry, I didn't answer that question.

Yes it will be safe to do if she moves the tool slowly and takes cuts
no deeper than 1/8 inch. 1/16 inch would be safer. Slower is better.

Going past safe to is it sane...

Calculate the number of cuts it will take.

1/8 inch bit cutting at 1/16 deep. 10 passes for width, six passes for
depth (probably 80, to do propoer cleanup at the bottom if doesn't have
a chisel...). 60-80 passes PER dado or groove.

Figure a Dremel bit MIGHT last 30-50 passes before it's too dull to be
useful. So 2-4 bits per dado or groove.

Value of her time + cost of bits = cheap router and 3/8 bit, IMO

djb
patriarch

SawDust wrote in
:

Thank you Patriarch, I was hoping for your comments.

snip

Now I'm trying to find out if this is safe.

Thanks

Pat

SawDust wrote in
m:

I think this is crazy.

You've answered your own question.

/religion and/or philosophy on

That little voice in your head was put there for a reason. Listen to it.

/religion and/or philosophy off

Patriarch
SawDust

Thank You David... Kudos for both responses.

Pat

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:32:16 -0600, Dave Balderstone
wrote:

In article , SawDust
wrote:

Is this safe to do.

Sorry, I didn't answer that question.

Yes it will be safe to do if she moves the tool slowly and takes cuts
no deeper than 1/8 inch. 1/16 inch would be safer. Slower is better.

Going past safe to is it sane...

Calculate the number of cuts it will take.

1/8 inch bit cutting at 1/16 deep. 10 passes for width, six passes for
depth (probably 80, to do propoer cleanup at the bottom if doesn't have
a chisel...). 60-80 passes PER dado or groove.

Figure a Dremel bit MIGHT last 30-50 passes before it's too dull to be
useful. So 2-4 bits per dado or groove.

Value of her time + cost of bits = cheap router and 3/8 bit, IMO

djb

SawDust

Hi Jack,

Naw, she wants to graduate to the big league. Leave crafting and
start building things. She wants to do this herself and she's bent
on using the dremel tool. I suspect from seeing it used on TV, in
those wonderful commercials.

Unfortunately in the real world it's not as easy as seen on TV.

As for lending tools. My current tools are the replacements for the
ones I'm still waiting to come back. I'd be happy to coach her
through using my router "she's never used one before", but she wants
to use her dremel.

Pat

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:44:08 -0700, "J" wrote:

"SawDust" wrote in message
.. .

Just because I say it's unsafe - doesn't mean she's going to listen. I
ain't never used a dremel, but I have seen my 1.5 HP router spinning a
3/4" bit in that stock and the dremel's going to come apart in my
opinion.

Maybe you lend her your 1.5HP router and 3/4" bit and be done with it.

-Jack

Dave Balderstone

In article , SawDust
wrote:

Thank You David... Kudos for both responses.

'cept for the obvious typos, which are, well... obvious.

And it's Dave, not David... Start calling me David and Keeter might get
confused as to which Canuck he's poking fun at.

;-)

Frank Ketchum

"SawDust" wrote in message

Just because I say it's unsafe - doesn't mean she's going to listen. I
ain't never used a dremel, but I have seen my 1.5 HP router spinning a
3/4" bit in that stock and the dremel's going to come apart in my
opinion.

Do the job for her with your router. I think the dremel is not the right
tool for the task, but could probably work if done correctly. If she won't
listen to you, what makes you think she will listen to us?

Dave Balderstone

In article , SawDust
wrote:

Naw, she wants to graduate to the big league. Leave crafting and
start building things. She wants to do this herself and she's bent
on using the dremel tool.

Then my advice is:

Let her try.
Dave Mundt

Greetings and salutations.
First off.. a big thumbs up to your friend for
wanting to do it herself...and a big bottle of Anacin
to you for being willing to help in the process.
(*smile*).

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:11:46 GMT, SawDust wrote:

Hi Jack,

Naw, she wants to graduate to the big league. Leave crafting and
start building things. She wants to do this herself and she's bent

That is a great goal.

on using the dremel tool. I suspect from seeing it used on TV, in
those wonderful commercials.

Yea, I get a big kick out of those bits of fantasy.

Unfortunately in the real world it's not as easy as seen on TV.

But, commercials are selling a dream...so of COURSE it
looks fantastic. I should say that the dremel is not a bad tool
for what it does...but, as with others in this thread, I have to
laugh at the idea of cutting the planned dadoes with it. On the
positive side, at least it will keep her out of trouble and off
the streets for QUITE a long time.

As for lending tools. My current tools are the replacements for the
ones I'm still waiting to come back. I'd be happy to coach her
through using my router "she's never used one before", but she wants
to use her dremel.

Pat

Well, she probably won't want to use it after the first
groove. If she is serious about expanding her building skills,
I would suggest that she invest in a decent router. I would
not recommend Sears, but Dewalt makes a nice one. I, personally
have used the Porter Cable 690 for some time, and, find it a
REALLY nice tool.
I would not buy it new, either. I would either see about
getting one off Ebay, or, spend some time haunting the Pawn
shops in your area. They always have a handful of routers,
and, as long as it sounds ok, it probably is. Also, although
they hate for it to become widespread news, if the tool is on
the shelf out front, they want to get anything for it they can,
which means that the price ON the tool is negotiatable.
By the by...as others have said...it won't be TOO
dangerous (assuming she wears eye protection and hearing protection
- which she should do ANYWAY), but it will be slow, and the dadoes
she produces will likely be ugly. Oh yea...if she DOES plan to
push ahead with the dremel, I would suggest that she cut the outer
edges of the dado first, then, clean out between.
Regards
Dave Mundt

Edwin Pawlowski

"SawDust" wrote in message

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

I've done a little cutting with a Dremel. Limited usefulllness, but handy
for the "right" job.

Remember growing up and your mother told you not to touch the electric fence
or your father told you not to hold the spark plug wire as you pulled the
cord, or a couple of dozen other things you just had to experience? Same
deal here.

Safety is not an issue if done properly Wear safety glasses, slow feed
rate, etc.

The problem is not the tool but your friend. My guess is that she has the
tool and is determined to get the job done. Nothing you do or say is going
to dissuade her. However, you can be confident that she will soon learn her
lesson. You can suggest she try her technique on a scrap of wood first.
Three hours later, when she is on pass number 63, she may finally concede
the Dremel is just not the right tool.
Ed

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 23:43:33 GMT, SawDust wrote:

She's gung ho to use the dremel - just like she see's on the TV
commercial.

So take up inlay work. With a base to turn it into a mini-router, it's
quite a useful tool for small jobs like this.

Personally I'd much rather have a hanging motor and flexi shaft, like
a Foredom, rather than a hand-held motor like a Dremel.

--
Smert' spamionam
George

Imagine both spin clockwise, to avoid left-hand collet threads. Anyone
operating either should work at arm's distance, that's for sure.

Problem I've seen is the heat buildup. No great mass to soak it up, so they
heat/darken/soften, and potentially break with anything more than short-term
use. Attempting to use them at less than the full 23-25K rpm would be
tough, given the small diameter of the bit.

"SawDust" wrote in message
Tell me, does the dremel spin in the same direction as a router.?
I've been told with a router the bits generally fly away from the
operator. What's the result with a dremel when a bit snaps.?
What sort of rpm.?

Swingman

Seeing how you've admittedly never used a dremel, how would you know?

If safety is your overriding concern, the "safest" method for her would be
to get someone else to do it. The least safest would be a real router in
unsupervised, unskilled hands.

Back off, let her use her dremel, with the safety precautions already
mentioned, and she will quickly learn the wisdom of using the right tool for
the job while being relatively safe.

... nuff said.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

"SawDust" wrote in message

Any thoughts...

With patience and small, incremental cuts, she should be OK. I would
certainly advise using the available router base for the tool, going slow
and easy, and using a guide fence and eye protection.

It's obvioulsy going to take some time, but that may well be a readily
available commodity in this case.

J. Clarke

SawDust wrote:

Just because I say it's unsafe - doesn't mean she's going to listen. I
ain't never used a dremel,

Try it. The concerns you're expressing here IMO reflect a lack of
familiarity with the capabilities and limitations of the tool. Whatever
you expect of it, I suspect you'll find that the reality is quite
different.

but I have seen my 1.5 HP router spinning a
3/4" bit in that stock and the dremel's going to come apart in my
opinion.

Naturally, I don't want to see her get hurt doing something dumb, so
I'm looking for backups and advice regarding her doing this.

When you say she has a "Dremel" do you mean a "Multipro" (or one of the
older tools with more or less the same configuration) or an "Advantage"?

The "Advantage" with the router base is a router just like any other router.
Only difference in practical terms between that and a Porter Cable or Bosch
is power, features, and ease of adjustment. If she goes slowly then the
Advantage should cut her grooves just fine.

If she has a "Multipro" then just tell her to use safety glasses and quit
worrying about it. While it's possible to hurt yourself seriously with one
if you deliberately set out to do it with a clear plan of action and a good
knowledge of anatomy and don't wimp out from the pain, the only way it's
likely to happen accidentally is if it manages to throw something into your
eye. Anywhere else if it does anything at all it will most likely give you
an itty-bitty burn--the bits do get hot--if it does manage to cut you the
cut will be considerably less severe than the average cat-scratch. While
it is possible to break a bit you have to work at it--get it caught in a
hole and then bend it or the like, but even there you're more likely to
stall the tool and if it does break the broken off part is going to remain
in the hole.

The problem with using one of those for what she wants to do isn't danger,
it's lack of power. Not only won't it spin a 3/4" bit, there is no way to
attach one unless you take a regular router bit and grind down the shaft to
1/8 inch. The cutters that are made for it are tiny, the only ones larger
than maybe 1/4" are thin saws, and the 1/4" has a depth of cut about the
same as the diameter. There are grinding wheels that are larger but she
wouldn't be using one of those to cut wood (she might try but she'd give up
on the idea right quick) and even if she did use one, cutting wood she's
just going to stall the tool, not shatter the wheel. Dremel and a couple
of other companies sell router bits specifically for the MultiPro and its
competitors but they are intended for modelmaking and the like and the
diameters are tiny.

If she tries this with a Multipro then what is going to happen is that
either she is going to develop immense patience or she is going to decide
right quick that she doesn't have enough tool for the job. She's not going
to get hurt unless she has quite phenomenally bad luck.

Just for hohos I tried cutting a 3/4" wide groove in a piece of 1x3 pine
using a Multipro and a 1/8" diameter HSS burr (the 1/4" seems to have
walked off). Didn't count the passes but it took 8 minutes to cut 3/16"
deep with no sign of strain in the tool although there was little smoke
coming out of the groove. No apparent burning though. Tried making one
pass across a piece of lignum vitae at the same depth to see if it would
cut hard stuff and it cut it just fine (it doesn't come much harder or
denser than LV), no more strain than the pine, just had to feed a little
slower and enjoy that marvelous aroma.

The way the router attachment is constructed by the way, the chances of it
actually throwing a piece of bit at the operator in the unlikely event that
it does break are pretty small. It's more likely to end up in the bottom
of the cut.

wrote:

Two good rules:

1. If you don't think it's safe, don't do it.
2. Friends don't let friends do unsafe things.

"SawDust" wrote in message
. ..

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

Any thoughts...

Pat

--
--John