Edwin Pawlowski

"SawDust" wrote in message

I think this is crazy. But I'd rather have someone with experience
of using a dremel tool explain whether this is safe or not.

A female freind wants to cut some dado's or grooves for a shelf.
For the sake of arguement assume the depth to be 3/8" x 3/4" wide.
Dremel tool. I assume she has the router base for it. The wood is
old pine. It's hard and very dense.

Is this safe to do. "Personally I think the bits just going to come
flying off the dremel, when it get's hot and snaps...

I've done a little cutting with a Dremel. Limited usefulllness, but handy
for the "right" job.

Remember growing up and your mother told you not to touch the electric fence
or your father told you not to hold the spark plug wire as you pulled the
cord, or a couple of dozen other things you just had to experience? Same
deal here.

Safety is not an issue if done properly Wear safety glasses, slow feed
rate, etc.

The problem is not the tool but your friend. My guess is that she has the
tool and is determined to get the job done. Nothing you do or say is going
to dissuade her. However, you can be confident that she will soon learn her
lesson. You can suggest she try her technique on a scrap of wood first.
Three hours later, when she is on pass number 63, she may finally concede
the Dremel is just not the right tool.
Ed