Dave Mundt

Greetings and salutations.
First off.. a big thumbs up to your friend for
wanting to do it herself...and a big bottle of Anacin
to you for being willing to help in the process.
(*smile*).

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 01:11:46 GMT, SawDust wrote:

Hi Jack,

Naw, she wants to graduate to the big league. Leave crafting and
start building things. She wants to do this herself and she's bent

That is a great goal.

on using the dremel tool. I suspect from seeing it used on TV, in
those wonderful commercials.

Yea, I get a big kick out of those bits of fantasy.

Unfortunately in the real world it's not as easy as seen on TV.

But, commercials are selling a dream...so of COURSE it
looks fantastic. I should say that the dremel is not a bad tool
for what it does...but, as with others in this thread, I have to
laugh at the idea of cutting the planned dadoes with it. On the
positive side, at least it will keep her out of trouble and off
the streets for QUITE a long time.

As for lending tools. My current tools are the replacements for the
ones I'm still waiting to come back. I'd be happy to coach her
through using my router "she's never used one before", but she wants
to use her dremel.

Pat

Well, she probably won't want to use it after the first
groove. If she is serious about expanding her building skills,
I would suggest that she invest in a decent router. I would
not recommend Sears, but Dewalt makes a nice one. I, personally
have used the Porter Cable 690 for some time, and, find it a
REALLY nice tool.
I would not buy it new, either. I would either see about
getting one off Ebay, or, spend some time haunting the Pawn
shops in your area. They always have a handful of routers,
and, as long as it sounds ok, it probably is. Also, although
they hate for it to become widespread news, if the tool is on
the shelf out front, they want to get anything for it they can,
which means that the price ON the tool is negotiatable.
By the by...as others have said...it won't be TOO
dangerous (assuming she wears eye protection and hearing protection
- which she should do ANYWAY), but it will be slow, and the dadoes
she produces will likely be ugly. Oh yea...if she DOES plan to
push ahead with the dremel, I would suggest that she cut the outer
edges of the dado first, then, clean out between.
Regards
Dave Mundt