Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Bandsaw - question

I've finally gotten my new bandsaw (Laguna 18bx) on its feet and put
together (KungFlu furlough gives me time to practice being retired
;-). Everything seems to be right with the world (no sawdust yet) but
there is a clicking as the weld crosses the guide blocks. Is this
normal or do I have the blocks set too tight/close? It seems to be
coming from the upper blade edge guide. I'm not playing with an
expensive blade yet, rather a no-name 1/2" from Highland.

Thanks for any help. The bandsaw is a new adventure.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 9:37:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I've finally gotten my new bandsaw (Laguna 18bx) on its feet and put
together (KungFlu furlough gives me time to practice being retired
;-). Everything seems to be right with the world (no sawdust yet) but
there is a clicking as the weld crosses the guide blocks. Is this
normal or do I have the blocks set too tight/close? It seems to be
coming from the upper blade edge guide. I'm not playing with an
expensive blade yet, rather a no-name 1/2" from Highland.

Thanks for any help. The bandsaw is a new adventure.

Have you mic'd the weld?

I have 2 WoodSlicer blades, A 3/8" installed and a 1/2" still in the paper,
which I unwrapped just for you. ;-)

Using my digital calipers, I read a 5-10 thousands of an inch difference
at various spots on the blade, including the weld. In fact, in the 1/2"
or so where the weld has been filed smooth, some spots are 5/1000 thinner
than other spots on the blades. In other words, certainly no lump.

Even without an actual lump, a bad weld could cause the clicking. If the
blade is not "flat" at the weld, but instead slightly angled (imagine a
very wide V at the weld) it would not slide through the guide blocks
smoothly.

On my blades, the welds are essentially imperceptible. On the new blade,
which is all nice and shiny, I have to hold the blade at just the right
angle so that the light makes the weld visible. I can also tell by the
slight difference in the distance between the teeth at that point.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 8:37:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've finally gotten my new bandsaw (Laguna 18bx) on its feet and put
together (KungFlu furlough gives me time to practice being retired
;-). Everything seems to be right with the world (no sawdust yet) but
there is a clicking as the weld crosses the guide blocks. Is this
normal or do I have the blocks set too tight/close? It seems to be
coming from the upper blade edge guide. I'm not playing with an
expensive blade yet, rather a no-name 1/2" from Highland.

Thanks for any help. The bandsaw is a new adventure.

As DerbyDad said. STOP everything, get a Woodslicer from Highland Hardware, put it on and see what you get. Even their house blade is better than any of the major brands I have tried.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" writes:
On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 8:37:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've finally gotten my new bandsaw (Laguna 18bx) on its feet and put
together (KungFlu furlough gives me time to practice being retired
;-). Everything seems to be right with the world (no sawdust yet) but
there is a clicking as the weld crosses the guide blocks. Is this
normal or do I have the blocks set too tight/close? It seems to be
coming from the upper blade edge guide. I'm not playing with an
expensive blade yet, rather a no-name 1/2" from Highland.

Thanks for any help. The bandsaw is a new adventure.

As DerbyDad said. STOP everything, get a Woodslicer from Highland Hardware, put it on and see what you get. Even their house blade is better than any of the major brands I have tried.

The first thing to do is to get the "Bandsaw Book" (Mark Duginske) and read it cover-to-cover.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 08:14:02 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 8:37:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've finally gotten my new bandsaw (Laguna 18bx) on its feet and put
together (KungFlu furlough gives me time to practice being retired
;-). Everything seems to be right with the world (no sawdust yet) but
there is a clicking as the weld crosses the guide blocks. Is this
normal or do I have the blocks set too tight/close? It seems to be
coming from the upper blade edge guide. I'm not playing with an
expensive blade yet, rather a no-name 1/2" from Highland.

Thanks for any help. The bandsaw is a new adventure.

As DerbyDad said. STOP everything, get a Woodslicer from Highland Hardware, put it on and see what you get. Even their house blade is better than any of the major brands I have tried.

I have a Highland Woodworking house brand blade on it. They know me
well at Highland. ;-) I have a Woodslicer (and a Resaw King) but
wanted to start with a cheaper blade until I started making real
sawdust.

I'll try measuring the blade with a micrometer but I don't think
that's the problem. As I said, the noise is coming from the upper
guide at the block at the back edge of the blade. I can turn the
wheel by hand and hear it as the weld crosses the rear edge block. The
side guide blocks aren't touching the blade. The instructions call for
a gap the width of a piece of paper between the side blocks and the
blade but touching the blade edge guide.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 24 May 2020 07:46:17 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 9:37:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I've finally gotten my new bandsaw (Laguna 18bx) on its feet and put
together (KungFlu furlough gives me time to practice being retired
;-). Everything seems to be right with the world (no sawdust yet) but
there is a clicking as the weld crosses the guide blocks. Is this
normal or do I have the blocks set too tight/close? It seems to be
coming from the upper blade edge guide. I'm not playing with an
expensive blade yet, rather a no-name 1/2" from Highland.

Thanks for any help. The bandsaw is a new adventure.

Have you mic'd the weld?

No, I don't have a micrometer. I'll have to get one. I normally use
(Imperial) dial calipers. The batteries in digital calipers are
always dead when I need it so gave up on them.

I have 2 WoodSlicer blades, A 3/8" installed and a 1/2" still in the paper,
which I unwrapped just for you. ;-)

Thanks. Even I didn't unwrap the more expensive blades. Trying to
play with the cheaper blade.

Using my digital calipers, I read a 5-10 thousands of an inch difference
at various spots on the blade, including the weld. In fact, in the 1/2"
or so where the weld has been filed smooth, some spots are 5/1000 thinner
than other spots on the blades. In other words, certainly no lump.

But the noise is as it crosses the rear block, not the side blocks. It
has to be the back edge of the blade causing the problem (or I have it
set riding too hard on the block).

Even without an actual lump, a bad weld could cause the clicking. If the
blade is not "flat" at the weld, but instead slightly angled (imagine a
very wide V at the weld) it would not slide through the guide blocks
smoothly.

I guess a front to back blade alignment error would do it. Side to
side, they're not touching (or shouldn't be).

On my blades, the welds are essentially imperceptible. On the new blade,
which is all nice and shiny, I have to hold the blade at just the right
angle so that the light makes the weld visible. I can also tell by the
slight difference in the distance between the teeth at that point.

I can certainly see the weld. It is "filed" but it is visible
(different color, even).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

If you have other blades handy, and you're just testing it by hand, why
not just try another blade? If more than one blade "clicks", then the
problem's the saw, either in your set-up or the saw itself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

I'll try that tomorrow. I have another generic blade before I break
out the Woodslicer. I was more wondering if this is "normal" with the
ceramic guide blocks. One wouldn't hear it with guide wheels, I don't
think.

I spent the day cleaning the room and moving everything back where it
belongs. The floor is a mess too. The floor is dusting and it's
everywhere. I can't sweep without filling the room with cement dust
(may have to get a air cleaner just for that).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

We're getting overboard here...

If there's a slight bump at the back of the blade at the weld, a few
strokes with a whet stone will both reveal its presence and remove it.

If the "tick" goes away, good...if not, unless it's more than just what
I'm imagining you're describing, "so what."

If it bothers, move the guide back a smidge...it'll push against it
anyways, as soon as you make a cut and put pressure on the front of the
blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Hadn't thought of that. Doh!

If the "tick" goes away, good...if not, unless it's more than just what
I'm imagining you're describing, "so what."

That's basically what I'm asking. "Is this something to worry about?"
I don't want to damage the guide blocks (there are some warnings).

If it bothers, move the guide back a smidge...it'll push against it
anyways, as soon as you make a cut and put pressure on the front of the
blade.

I guess. The instructions say that the blade should ride on the block
and even wear a groove in it (rotate the block every 80ish hours).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GcRkcC...end=3367&rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bxVyKs...toplay=1&rel=0

HTH
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can get the a href="https://circularsawjudge.com/best-circular-saw/"best circular saw/a reviews from some blog for you woodworking project.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message ...

If there's a slight bump at the back of the blade at the weld, a few
strokes with a whet stone will both reveal its presence and remove it.

If the "tick" goes away, good...if not, unless it's more than just what I'm
imagining you're describing, "so what."

If it bothers, move the guide back a smidge...it'll push against it
anyways, as soon as you make a cut and put pressure on the front of the
blade.

I agree... stoning the blade to remove lumps/uneven welds used to be a
common thing but it seems that folks have moved away from it.

On narrow blades and tight cutting radiuses stoning the corners off the back
of the blade is a useful tip too.

The other day it occurred to me that it's been almost 30 years since I found
the rec... fall of 1990. In the world of the WWW it's kind of surprising
Usenet has survived at all...